Smokeless 700ML build

Ryanjay11

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a Stainless 700ML and will be putting together a semi-custom Smokeless build with a stainless .45 1/20" twist Brux barrel, Harrels brake, Jewell Trigger and McMillan Game Scout. I plan to have Arrowhead Sporting Goods put this together.

I'm not new to long range shooting, but I am new to smokeless muzzleloaders. I'm planning to shoot the Parker Match Hunter Bullets and will use a Swing Lock sizing die.

Has anyone else gone down this road? Any tips, loads, or build pictures?

I shoot a Savage ML ll with smokeless powder. They were designed for smokeless powder. Using AA 5744 powder. It's a easy to ignite fairly low pressure powder. There is a good amount of load data for Savages. Could be a starting point. Mine shoots as well as some rifles.

ACC

FNG
Doug's message board is where you need to look for smokeless ml info, lots of the pioneers of smokeless conversions hang out there.

OP
R

Ryanjay11

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the tips so far. I've been reading up on Doug's and Hank's message boards. I was surprised to read of all the drama between the two forums. Not sure what that is all about, but both had some great information.

My 700ML showed up last week. I took it apart and sold everything but the action.
IMG_3282_zpsbnmqeg4l.jpg

With some input from Luke at Arrowhead Sporting goods, I ended up ordering a straight fluted 28" Brux Sendero pre-fit, some 270 Parker Emax bullets, and all of the other parts necessary to function. McMillan suggested the Game Warden over the Game Scout because of the contour, and I got in line for the several month wait.

Since I'm impatient, and know my way around putting together rifles, I had Luke send me the parts, which I'll assemble myself.

Missouri's alternative methods season allows smokeless muzzleloaders, so in a couple weeks, I'll be using this with a MDT chassis from a 260 I have. It might be completely ridiculous looking for a muzzleloader, but it should at minimum double my range for the season.

OP
R

Ryanjay11

Lil-Rokslider
I put the rifle together earlier this week and made it out to the range on Friday. The conditions were pretty nasty(35 degrees, rain, 10-12 mph wind), so it wasn't the best day for shooting groups, but I was very happy with how well it shot. I just picked one load (70 grains H4198, Parker 270 Emax, Federal primer) and ran with it.

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
What's involved in one of these builds in terms of headspacing the breech plug?
I have a hunter bolt nose conversion and breech plug and was wondering if a pre threaded blank could be installed at home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

Ryanjay11

Lil-Rokslider
What's involved in one of these builds in terms of headspacing the breech plug?
I have a hunter bolt nose conversion and breech plug and was wondering if a pre threaded blank could be installed at home?

I installed the prefit barrel from Arrowhead Sporting Goods. I used a Wheeler action wrench and Viper barrel vise. Everything headspaced correctly, but you have to make sure it doesn't have any crud in the threads after cleaning your breech or you won't be able to close the bolt. The tolerances are that tight, and that's a good thing.

OP
R

Ryanjay11

Lil-Rokslider
After a busy Christmas, I was able to sneak away for a couple of days to do some hunting. On Monday afternoon, this doe walked out at 405 yards. I put a 270 Parker in the boiler room and found her about 25 yards from where she was standing.

I shot another on Tuesday morning at 85 yards, but didn't get any pictures. It was a bang flop with pretty explosive results. Knowing what would happen at this close of range, I shot her through the lungs and didn't waste any meat.

To say I'm happy with the setup is an understatement. I'm looking forward to getting the McMillan for next year. It's a bit hard to explain why my muzzleloader has a magwell... :)

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
Great build, I'd really like to do something similar with my 700ml

ROJO23

FNG
I have one of Hankins customs 700ml. It is a tack driver. I have shoot many sub 1/2" 100 groups. So far I have just shoot out to 400 yards with good results. I am shooting 275 grain parkers at 2950 fps.

OP
R

Ryanjay11

Lil-Rokslider
It's about time to dust this rifle back off and do some shooting.

Attachments

• 700ML.jpg
    700ML.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 33