Powder Volume to Weight

Well, it was pouring like heck here today and boredom has set in. I remember a post on one of the forums about the accuracy of the graduation marks on BH209 tube - how accurate they might be if used for measuring. So just for drill I decided that what the heck let's find out!

I always load with a volume measure and over time I think I have become very consistent at using the measure... I also decided besides testing BH which I use sparingly I would also test T7-2f for volume.

Here are a few pictures that show the process I was using:

Powder_BH_209_Tube.jpg

Powder_TC_Brass_Vol_Measure.jpg

Powder_T7_Weight.jpg

And this is the table that was created.... Hope the table makes some sense...

Powder_Table.jpg

Not sure if this shows anything of much interest but it did keep me busy for awhile...

OP
sabotloader
Which do you prefer of the two powders?

There are some real advantageous to BH over the other subs but the price per shot really bugs me especially when the can get a pound of Smokeless DuPont SR 4759 built the same way (physically) for so much less $$$

T7 works very well for me and gives me way more shots per bottle and per dollar.

Hey sabotloader - you ever notice any difference in your powder levels depending on the temperature of your tubes? Reason I ask is that I use just plastic test tubes to carry my powder loads in while in the field/range. I use a brass volume measure (and more recently a scale), then dump it in the tubes.

Because my wife and I shoot different loads, I took a sharpie and drew a line on mine where the level was supposed to be, just so I knew I wouldnt get my tubes and hers mixed up. (I was shooing 130 gr/volume through a Remington Ultimate at the time). Anyways, after filling all my tubes to 130 and drawing a line on all of them, I went back and fourth from outside where it was cold and inside where it was warm (I dont remember the exact order or how many times I went back and fourth, but I happened to look down at my tubes, and this is what I found..

I"m still new to muzzleloading, went out for the first time this November with a Hawken 50cal. But, let me see if I'm following this correctly:

I'm using the same Hodgens powder, TC brass measure and the 209 tubes for quick reloads. I use my measure to fill up a couple tubes for my pouch before I leave the truck. I have my measure set to 100gr, and it was usually in between the 100 and 110 mark on my tube. But, according to your chart, is my charge actually closer to ~80gr?

If that's the case I might see about going up a bit to a truer 100. Interesting to see that the tube was closer than the measure. I figured the plastic tube markings were just for reference and not trustworthy.

Edited to add: Just re-read your findings. I should probably read up on the difference between grains as a volume and grains as a weight.

This is a great post to highlight the importance of the difference between volume and weight charge measurement.

Jolly-- BP charges have historically been measured by volume-- charge tubes are also calibrated by volume not weight.

Charge weights will always be lower than the volume as you can see in sabotloader's findings. 120gr by volume will be 90ish by weight.

I prefer to measure my charges by weight to get them as uniform as possible. However-- you must figure out what the equivalent charge volume is so you don't blow your gun up.

For instance. A modern inline says "handles 150gr powder" they mean that by volume-- -if you stoked that thing with 150gr by weight you are going to have a bad day because the equivalent charge is over 200gr.

I shoot BH209 at 85gr by weight which gets me to about 110gr by volume and is the sweet spot for my Accura. My experience across 5 different MLs is they don't like being run to max capacity. Accuracy suffers when you try to push them as fast as possible.

OP
sabotloader
I"m still new to muzzleloading, went out for the first time this November with a Hawken 50cal. But, let me see if I'm following this correctly:

I'm using the same Hodgens powder, TC brass measure and the 209 tubes for quick reloads. I use my measure to fill up a couple tubes for my pouch before I leave the truck. I have my measure set to 100gr, and it was usually in between the 100 and 110 mark on my tube. But, according to your chart, is my charge actually closer to ~80gr?

If that's the case I might see about going up a bit to a truer 100. Interesting to see that the tube was closer than the measure. I figured the plastic tube markings were just for reference and not trustworthy.

Edited to add: Just re-read your findings. I should probably read up on the difference between grains as a volume and grains as a weight.

Personally I would go with your volume measure. If you are getting the results you want with your load - stay with it.

OP
sabotloader
Hey sabotloader - you ever notice any difference in your powder levels depending on the temperature of your tubes? Reason I ask is that I use just plastic test tubes to carry my powder loads in while in the field/range. I use a brass volume measure (and more recently a scale), then dump it in the tubes.

Because my wife and I shoot different loads, I took a sharpie and drew a line on mine where the level was supposed to be, just so I knew I wouldnt get my tubes and hers mixed up. (I was shooing 130 gr/volume through a Remington Ultimate at the time). Anyways, after filling all my tubes to 130 and drawing a line on all of them, I went back and fourth from outside where it was cold and inside where it was warm (I dont remember the exact order or how many times I went back and fourth, but I happened to look down at my tubes, and this is what I found..

You know I am just guessing - but T7 has a tendency to settle - I believe that may more explain what you are seeing that temperature diffence, although a big enough Temp difference could surely influence the results.

Thanks for the clarification and info duckhunter175 and sabotloader. Makes sense now that I've re-read the initial post. So far the 100gr volume charge has been shooting pretty well, might try to tweak it a bit but will stick to volume since I dont have a scale to measure in grains.

OP
sabotloader
That powder was BH209.. but maybe it settles a little too??

You are correct now that I look at... and yes it can settle also - not nearly as much as T7 or any of the other subs. I still believe the column has reduced in length because of settling more than temp.