CO Mulies GMU 18/181

Shoreman

FNG
Anyone have any guidance on chasing mulies with a smokepole in GMU 18/181? I was planning a hunt with a buddy in 2016 but he passed away unexpectedly just prior to the season. I don't have a ton of mountain hunting experience and would appreciate any guidance that might be shared. Not looking for anyone to share their hunting spots but more if this unit offers a decent opportunity to a newbie.

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
My best advice to you Is go scout it Early summer ,,setup trail cameras ,, Remembering those critters gotta eat ,,drink,, sleep,, and don't really like being seen ,,Good luck ,, Last thing get maps of area and study them ,,Water is very important,,, Little Muley bucks will put there nose in your pocket for something to eat the bigger bucks are like a ghost ....

I spent over 10 years hiking/hunting 181. A lot of mule deer in the 8,500-10,000 foot range on low ridge lines. They'll bed down on those little ridges where they can look down in three directions. If all you wanted was a doe they're easy to find down low on the national forest. I typically bump them at close range while I am elk hunting in Sept/Oct. If you're quiet and still, does will walk right past your nose. A good place to find them is around the middle elevation of the aspen. That is, in the zone between the sage brush and the pine.