Knight Ultra-Lite: 2 Broken Ramrods

I backpack hunt in Colorado with a Knight Ulta-Lite (western configuration). The weapon has been fantastic in almost every way; lightweight, accurate, easy to shoot, elk killer.

But I've had two stock ramrods fail me. Luckily both rods have failed while at home cleaning the weapon. Both ramrods failed in exactly the same way. After being used repeatedly to swab the barrel, both ramrods got to the point where the extending end (i.e. screw-out portion) would not tighten anymore. At that point, both ramrods started leaking "dust" and small fragments from inside the rod, like the rod was falling apart internally.

The first failure occurred a year and a half ago - I ordered a replacement. This time, however, I suspect the stock ramrod is a very cheap, poorly-made accessory. I'm not inclined to pay for another replacement. I think I'd rather spring for another brand of ramrod if I can find one that fits the Ultra-Lite.

As I said, I feel lucky these failures occurred at home because I am a bivy hunter and do not carry much in the way of extras while hunting. Certainly not an extra ramrod.

Please let me know if you can recommend a replacement ramrod, made by a third party, that will fit the Ultra-Lite. I have also left a voice message with customer service at Knight and am waiting for a reply.

P9190094_zpsbyvuh0y6.jpg~original

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I use my Knight rod only when hunting ,,reloading for another shot,, When at the range I use the one from my CVA deluxe cleaning kit,,
3 piece solid Aluminum, with brass handle ,,Can't help you on your Where to find a better replacement rod ,,Makes me nervous after hearing this to use mine at all ,I bought my Knight Ultra Lite 2 years ago and have been very happy with it ,, nice bull ,,,

mcr-85

WKR
I got a ramrod from SpinJag for my mountaineer. They should have one to fit the U-lite.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

OP
CrzyTrekker
Looks like a SpinJag on a giRAMROD (sold separately) will fit the bill. It is an aluminum ramrod and should be more durable than the stock Knight ramrod, if slightly heavier.

Thanks for the heads Crazy up as I have a UL but haven't even shot it yet. I just tried a couple other rods I have in my White muzzys and they fit fine other than 1 is a bit long. So I assume most rods are a standard diameter perhaps? At any rate, if I use the UL, I'll certainly use a different rod in the field!

OP
CrzyTrekker
Knight returned my call. They took care of me.

It's my understanding from talking to them that the lightweight stock gun rod (carbon core) is really intended to be used only during the hunt. That rod is held together on the inside by glue, which is probably what failed on my rods. I got the impression you definitely should have a tougher rod for range sessions and post-hunt cleaning sessions. IA Monsterbuck has the right idea, using something like the Knight Range Rod for range sessions, but hunt with a lighter rod. Those of you that have been shooting a muzzy for years probably have a system using two or more rods.

Personally, I'm going to compare the replacement Knight is sending me (another lightweight stock gun rod) with the giRAMROD/SpinJag combo, which is cut to 24" to fit the Ultra-Lite. I believe the giRAMROD is made of aluminum. Regardless of weight, I'll be hunting with the rod that appears to be more reliable. For range sessions and cleaning at home, I'll be using a heavier range rod.

Thanks for your input! It's off to the shooting range as soon as I get those new rods in hand.

Beararms

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have both rods now? How do they compare? I am about to order both types spinjags, and the bullet starter. Is the giRAMROD worth the $28 over the ultra-lite rod? Also, the knight uses the flat base and not the tapered base?

I am waiting for Lehigh Defense to have their ultimate range rod back in stock, I might just order the cabelas universal to get me by until then.

OP
CrzyTrekker
Beararms,

I've settled on using the very light stock rod provided with the Knight Ultralight for field use. Knight sent a couple of them to me so it was an easy decision to make. I would never trust that rod for heavy cleaning or range duty but it's super light and fits the weapon. I keep the extra in my truck while hunting.

I use Knight's standard aluminum range rod for cleaning and range sessions. I also keep the aluminum range rod in my truck with other supplies while hunting, just in case.

I do wish the stock rod that comes with the rifle was of better construction, but it's light and now I know not to test it . . . . .

Eric