First Season with a Black Powder

I haven't posted too much in the muzzleloading section of this site, but I have used it quite a bit to learn the do's and dont's this past fall. It's really been a great resource. So, I figured I'd put a quick post up about my first crack at black powders.

After an unsuccessful September hunting hard with my bow (15 days), and not being able to make the short rifle season, I decided my last chance to bring an elk home was with a black powder in November. Initially I was a bit cold to the idea since I had put so much time and effort in to learning everything I could about archery... and this would be an all new set up and learning process. But, as the opening date for muzzleloader only approached, and a perfectly good tag in hand, I felt I owed it to myself to do everything I could to seal the deal. I did some reading and ended up getting a Pedersoli Hawken 50cal a few short weeks before season started.

Over the next few weeks I got out several times and felt like I had a good foundation and was no longer nervous about screwing something up with loading (like forgetting to put powder in first or something dumb). Before I knew it the season was open and I spent another 7 days in the mountains. I wish I could say that after all this rambling that the deal was sealed, but it was not to be this year. I jumped a few cows, but was in thick timber and never got a good shot I would have been comfortable taking.

Even without getting an elk down, I had a great time out with the Hawken. I've heard people talk about the 'soul' of things like traditional bows and muzzleloaders, and from my time with it I know when they mean. Honestly I shouldn't have liked carrying it, considering it's length, weight and limitations compared to modern rifles... but I just couldnt help but love lugging that thing around. It felt stout, like you could definitely beat a man to death with it if your scalp was in danger. Plus the history that goes along with it is just cool to me.

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to becoming a better marksman with this rifle and getting out this coming fall.

Here's a few pics:

Nice whitetail shed I found

Brrr...

Got my 4 year old son out with me one day

CoHiCntry

WKR
The pic of your pack with your muzzleloader is nice! I have to admit I love muzzleloader hunting more than any other weapon hunting at this point. I've all but quit archery hunting due to only wanting to muzzleloader hunt. It isn't for everyone, but it is for me. Cute little hunter you got there too... love seeing the little ones getting out there with dad!

JollyRoger

As I have indicated to many people... shooting a ML can really addictive! I think you are well on the way...

I, myself, really enjoyed reading your post and the pics were outstanding.

This season was certainly a different than normal season up here in northern Idaho also. I hunt all year with a ML even during the rifle season... During our deer season, first season after 'Blue Tongue Disease' took a huge toll on our whitetail, I just plain got to picky waiting and looking for the RIGHT whitetail buck. Didn't happen - so it was tag soup.

The late season ML elk season proved to be just as difficult... the weather just never cooperated - it was like all autumn - extended - dry, noisy, and the elk stayed high.

How much shooting have you been able to do with your Hawken? I use to use a TC Renegade it was a great ML... To comply with Idaho rules back then. I did swap barrel out for a GM-LRH barrel but it was a get rifle...

07_Doe.jpg

OP
J
The pic of your pack with your muzzleloader is nice! I have to admit I love muzzleloader hunting more than any other weapon hunting at this point. I've all but quit archery hunting due to only wanting to muzzleloader hunt. It isn't for everyone, but it is for me. Cute little hunter you got there too... love seeing the little ones getting out there with dad!

Thanks! It was definitely an adventure.. brought me back to my days as a kid hunting with a single shot 20ga. Have to make that shot count! I had a blast out there with my son, we tailored the day to him cause I want him to remember it being fun... not a death march in the mountains. We hiked for a quarter mile or so, found a small hill top and set up shop for an hour or so. I was proud of him, he wanted to carry his own pack and gun just like dad.

OP
J
Sabotloader - Nice shot on that deer... 100 yards would have been at the far end of my range with perfect conditions. I havent shot it a ton, but I've put about 40 rounds through it total. Most of those were out in the desert but during November I ran into a lot of rain, so at the end of the day I'd pick a target between 60-80 yards and fire it off just before dark. Towards the end of season I was feeling pretty good about it.

What ML are you using now?

bbell

WKR
I love your pics! Next year I will be doing at least one muzzleloader hunt in Oregon. I am pretty excited for it. I have a Lyman GPR and love the look of the sidelock muzzys. Good luck this coming season!

elkduds

WKR
Great to see sidelocks getting some love here. I set up a Lyman Deerstalker .54 w Lyman peep for CO big game hunting, back in the day. Still have it, still shoot it, still puts maxiballs into 3" @ 100 yds.

Sabotloader - Nice shot on that deer... 100 yards would have been at the far end of my range with perfect conditions. I havent shot it a ton, but I've put about 40 rounds through it total. Most of those were out in the desert but during November I ran into a lot of rain, so at the end of the day I'd pick a target between 60-80 yards and fire it off just before dark. Towards the end of season I was feeling pretty good about it.

What ML are you using now?

For ML hunting season here - I use a Knight Ultra Lite. It is an inline - it really is not that much different in abilities as to what I was using. It is just much lighter and easier to maneuver.

I have equipped it with a rear peep sight and a hooded front sight to give the feeling that I am shooting a 1X scope...

This is the rear peep setup and the front hooded sight

NECG_Weaver_Peep.jpg

Front_Sight_set_up.jpg

This pic shows the #11 ignition setup with the bolt closed

DE_FPJ_Closed.jpg

This is the same rifle with the peep pulled and a scope installed for rifle season

Oh and it works on elk also

OP
J
Great looking set up...you've definitely put your BPs to the test! Before getting this Hawken I strongly considered a Knight Bighorn but it was a bit more coin and out of stock at the time. Plus, I kinda fell in love with the Hawken once I had it in hand.

I love your pics! Next year I will be doing at least one muzzleloader hunt in Oregon. I am pretty excited for it. I have a Lyman GPR and love the look of the sidelock muzzys. Good luck this coming season!

I gotta use pictures because they say a 1000 words... and I can not write worth a darn - as told to me by my 11th grade Lit teacher...

Great looking set up...you've definitely put your BPs to the test! Before getting this Hawken I strongly considered a Knight Bighorn but it was a bit more coin and out of stock at the time. Plus, I kinda fell in love with the Hawken once I had it in hand.

The old sidelocks are real classic and really fun to work with... I still spend a lot of time shooting them at various Rondie events shooting patch round balls.

Ewaragnar

Lil-Rokslider
For ML hunting season here - I use a Knight Ultra Lite. It is an inline - it really is not that much different in abilities as to what I was using. It is just much lighter and easier to maneuver.

I have equipped it with a rear peep sight and a hooded front sight to give the feeling that I am shooting a 1X scope...

This is the rear peep setup and the front hooded sight

NECG_Weaver_Peep.jpg

Front_Sight_set_up.jpg

This pic shows the #11 ignition setup with the bolt closed

DE_FPJ_Closed.jpg

This is the same rifle with the peep pulled and a scope installed for rifle season

Oh and it works on elk also

I have the same peep in the rear I think (New England Customer Guns peep)... but who makes your front sight hood? I'm using the standard fiber optic front sight from Knight's right now but would be interested in a new front sight.

Ewaragnar

To get the front sight setup you will need to pull the Knight fiber optic sight and install a Williams front ramp, a fiber optic insert and the Fire sight hood.

Williams Front Sight Combinations

Two screws for the ramp... These are from Brownells

p_962020097_1.jpg

962-020-097WB
Streamlined Ramp 3/16" Screw-on
Mfr Part: 1690

I believe Williams says a .375N front sight for this application - I prefer a .343N as it fit closer to center under a fires sight hood.

p_962564320_1.jpg

962-564-360WB
Red Fire Sight fits 375N
Mfr Part: 56436

962-000-016WB
Fire Sight Hood
Mfr Part: 70031

Hope this gives you the information you might be looking for.

mike

dotman

WKR
I need to order a new hood, not sure what happened but I hunt thick oak brush and my hood disappeared mid hunt.

I need to order a new hood, not sure what happened but I hunt thick oak brush and my hood disappeared mid hunt.

Yep I have lost a couple also - but now once I get sighted in I put red lock tite in the channels the hood slides into, insert the hood and once the lock tite drys = no longer a problem.