Need help troubleshooting

Hey guys I was shooting my muzzleloader the other day and it has a short delay between the trigger pull and the shot. It's a traditions canyon. Regular old break barrel style. I thought maybe my black horn 209 powder had gotten some moisture in it so I went and bought a new jug of the blackhorn 209 and it still is doing the same thing. I've broken it down and cleaned it out the best I know how. I'm suspecting maybe it's something to do with my breech plug. I think the primers were Remington brand. Any ideas?

ckleeves

WKR
I'm far from a MZ expert, but I know BH209 can be somewhat hard to ignite. On their site they say not to use a MZ 209 and to use a CCI 209M or a federal 209A. I have never had problems getting it to fire with the CCI 209m personally. Maybe start there?

Been there, done that. Clean out the flash hole in the breech plug really well. If its completely open and you are using a magnum primer you will be fine using BH209 powder. You can use a small drill bit to get it cleaned out really well. If that does not work, try backing out your breech plug a quarter turn from where you usually tighten. This will also help get a stronger primer ignition and you won't have any delays.

Sorry for the stupid answer, but without knowing your experience level I guess I'll say it. Are you sure you are packing the bullet down all the way? This can happen if you don't get a tight pack.

dotman

WKR
I agree if using a muzzleloader 209 primer that can be the issue. Get a magnum 209 primer from Win, Fed or CCI. Make sure you compact the powder but don't slam the bullet down hard just a few good taps is all that's needed.

I like to put a mark on my rod for a seated bullet then all I have to do is see that and I know I'm good.

I like to put a mark on my rod for a seated bullet then all I have to do is see that and I know I'm good.

I haven't done it yet myself, but I know guys that put tape on theirs. This can also help let you know if you got over excited and loaded with no powder or did a double load.