Ulite and Shooting All Copper

Got another opportunity today to get some shooting in. All had to do was to dodge or time the expected rain storms that were to occur today + plus I needed to be back in town by 3:30 for the Gonzaga basketball game.

My excuse for this trip was actual bullet testing... Lehigh brought a new bullet out late last year. I got to shoot it enough to site the rifle in with it and then I really wanted to harvest a whitetail with it to compare it to the Bloodline. Did not get a chance to use the bullet because I got to choosey looking for the RIGHT buck.

But, the bullet is a copper .452x265 gr. with a the open nose hollow point.

Lehigh__452x265.jpg

IMG_1323.jpg

Also last fall while shooting through a chrono I did establish the velocity I was shooting

265_Misc_Pics.jpg

To me this is a really good looking CNC machined bullet. My early and first testing of the bullet showed that it was really and accurate bullet from Knight Ulite. The accuracy is there + plus I got a bit lucky.

265__16_10_6_Tgt_Composite.jpg

Today my mission in my mind was to reshoot this bullet and see if I could feel as good about it today as I did last fall.

It rained on me most of the way to the rock pit but by the time I got to the pit the rain had stopped. I quickly got the shooting bench and tailgate setup. Then in the back of my mind... I had been shooting so well with the fast twist 45's - really shooting clays @ 100 just didn't seem to be a challenge any longer. It worked out because there were plenty of chips on the rock wall in various spots. I got loaded as quickly as possible and started my experiment.

This rifle as the others I shoot have been setup with a 6" PBR and back when I set the rifle up I set to be just under 3" high at 100.

This ballistic print out shows the information computed from last fall.

452x245_PBR_BH.jpg

I set up on the first chip... @ 100 yards I have found that just above the main cross hairs at the beginning of the thickened vertical post conforms to 0 at 100. So I placed the vertical post on the ship and took the shot. After the smoke cleared - the chip was gone. That provided a huge ego boost and a great reason to continue the shoot.

I continued the shoot till the rain started and washed me out of the pit. And I have to tell you I feel that I made some really difficult chip shots. The bullet just seems to be consistent as heck even though I am using a volume measure for loading.

Lehigh_452x265.jpg

2blade

WKR
Looks good. I wonder how well they open up on impact and how much weight retention they achieve?

OP
sabotloader
Looks good. I wonder how well they open up on impact and how much weight retention they achieve?

These bullets the Bloodlines, Lehigh CF bullets and these new copper bullets are segmenting. The way they work is the bullet penetrates the hide and bone and at the time it contacts a liquid environment the 6 petals open. When they have opened to approximately 40* they break of an travel out into the surrounding organs causing organ ruptures. The core of the bullets continues to travel through cavity creating and additional 'hydrostatic shock'. Them in most circumstances passes completely through and out the opposite side.

The petals are so light they really do not carry a lot of energy - enough to puncture and rupture organs but not enough to penetrate muscle tissue very far at all.

So in the end the core of the bullet weighs about 230 grains.