Novice; muzzy advice needed

Rheron

FNG
Hello gang! I will be chasing elk in Colorado come Sept with my muzzleloader. I have a knight disc extreme that was given to me as a gift. I have taken a few deer with it since I've owned it yet have only done day trip hunts. My question to you all is - what's your recommendation on clearing the weapon during overnight trips? I'm not so much concerned with the safety aspects as I will treat it the same way I do my other weapons (always loaded). I'm more concerned with powder getting wet and not going boom when I need it. Do you clear the weapon every night? Change powder loads frequently? Do anything a guy on his first multi day muzzy hunt should know? Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks

CoHiCntry

WKR
This topic has been debated over & over. Lots of different opinions and experiences. I personally leave my load in for the whole hunt (usually 7 to 10 days). I have shot the load out half way through the hunt if the circumstances are right. If it's really wet out and rainy that might change. Hopefully you'll get a shot quick and not have to worry about it!

Edit:. I should also mention, on some hunts where I was unlucky and still had a load in my gun by the end of the hunt I've shot these loads out and have never had a misfire, hangfire or any issues at all.

Last edited:
OP
Rheron

Rheron

FNG
Thanks for the reply. Do you have any suggestions on how to keep the weapon dry? I was planning on taping barrel of course but what about the action? Cover it in duct tape? Forgive my ignorance I'm just trying to get as much info as I can so I will hopefully walk of the mountain heavy. Thanks again

CoHiCntry

WKR
I've never used anything to cover the end of my barrel or the action unless it's seriously raining. Spitting a few drops now and then I don't worry to much about. I hold the barrel down if it's raining and maybe use something on me like my gloves, pack etc to cover the action if it's raining that hard. If it's gonna be a rainy season then a balloon or piece of electrical tape over the end of your barrel will work. If your using a modern inline you shouldn't have to worry to much. If your using a sidelock or flintlock they make different covers you can use or simply make your own. What kind of rifle are you using?

OP
Rheron

Rheron

FNG
Was gifted a knight disc extreme. Supposed to be a "water proof" system. My only muzzy hunting experience has been in dry weather. Figured getting here and getting educated might save my hunt in September. Really appreciate your input.

CoHiCntry

WKR
Was gifted a knight disc extreme.

Duh... I read that on your original post. Others might have a different opinion or experiences. I personally don't worry about the rain to much. Just use some common sense. Others might chime in with their experiences too.

I shoot more traditional style cap gun. I put a piece of tape over the muzzle all the time. At the end of every night I shoot it into the hill to clear it. The weather here is usual crappy. So I figure it is cheap insurance. Balls and powder are cheap and it goes bang when I need it. I clean it at night. Then in the morning I discharge a cap through it go foul it and make sure there is no residues from cleaning left. Then load for the day. With all the new sugars in these new powders, make sure to clean well. The traditional powder is more forgiving in that regard.... No sugar.

Load it and keep the muzzle covered. You'll be good for the week. Un cap it before transporting it in a vehicle. Finger cots (midget condom) from the pharmacy will give you a good water resistant muzzle. Shoot it once with one on at the range before your trip so that you are confident with them.

elkguide

WKR
Hunting with a muzzleloader in Vermont usually means wet weather and other than trying to keep as much water/moisture from directly sitting on the breech, I don't worry about it. (killed a whitetail on day 6 last fall.) The only thing that worries me is taking a cold rifle into a warm house overnight, so my rifle sleeps in the shop after the day's hunt.

i would think youd be good with a piece of electrical tape over the barrel if it rains. fresh primers or caps daily or when needed if its wet all day. ive gone weeks without changing. i also re-seat the bullet daily if youve bounced and banged around all day.wipe the outside with a light oil patch. ive had several of my rifles and muzzys finished with the Birdsong all weather Black T finish and no need to wipe down the outside. Birdsong puts the Black T finish on every nut, bolt,spring and screw unlike Cerekote or Duracoat.highly recommend if your looking for ultimate in rust prevention. type of powder makes a difference too.ive also gone a month plus using Blackhorn 209 powder and when checked still hit its mark.

weaver

WKR
I did have a misfire in Idaho a few years ago due to damp powder. The night before I had bad condensation in my tent and I believe that's what caused it. I'll still leave mine loaded for a week in dry conditions but I'll change out the powder if I suspect it has gotten damp from condensation.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

OP
Rheron

Rheron

FNG
I shoot more traditional style cap gun. I put a piece of tape over the muzzle all the time. At the end of every night I shoot it into the hill to clear it. The weather here is usual crappy. So I figure it is cheap insurance. Balls and powder are cheap and it goes bang when I need it. I clean it at night. Then in the morning I discharge a cap through it go foul it and make sure there is no residues from cleaning left. Then load for the day. With all the new sugars in these new powders, make sure to clean well. The traditional powder is more forgiving in that regard.... No sugar.

Do you ever worry about spooking game? Or am I being paranoid and over thinking that?

Not really. Just cheap insurance in my mind. The weather here in north idaho kinda sucks and the condensation is a given. The way sound echos here....you can here shots all the time. So I don't think I am spooking anything, I don't hunt 20 feet from camp either though. It works for me, may not for you. That is up to you. All I am saying, powder and balls are cheap. Maybe it is overkill.....maybe not.....who knows. What I do know is: mine goes bang when I pull the trigger every time. Nothing worse than pulling the trigger and just hearing click. Or it has been raining/snowing to beat all the past few days and the whole time you are walking the only thing you can think about is: is this thing going to work when I need it to. Again, this is all jmo and it works for me....ymmv.

Hello gang! I will be chasing elk in Colorado come Sept with my muzzleloader. I have a knight disc extreme that was given to me as a gift. I have taken a few deer with it since I've owned it yet have only done day trip hunts. My question to you all is - what's your recommendation on clearing the weapon during overnight trips? I'm not so much concerned with the safety aspects as I will treat it the same way I do my other weapons (always loaded). I'm more concerned with powder getting wet and not going boom when I need it. Do you clear the weapon every night? Change powder loads frequently? Do anything a guy on his first multi day muzzy hunt should know? Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks

With time and experience you will gain the information on when you might want to get the load out and when not. I carry a rifle loaded all season if I am confident that the powder is compromised...

You might look through this test as see the results...

Conclusion to 'nother Weather Test - HuntingNet.com Forums

In wet weather I do use a muzzle mitt over the muzzle. When shooting 209 primers, the primer itself is water proof but I also adjust the head space so the is a slight primer crush making the BP water proof also. When shooting caps I use an #11 Mag cap placed on a nipple that stretches the case to make it water proof on the nipple.

Other odd ball things I do which are against the norm. When I get home the rifle does come inside and is stored vertical in room temp with the breech open and the muzzle in-covered, allowing warm air to pass through the bore - to act as a drying tool if it might be necessary.

The largest thing I could tell you is not to move your rifle from really cold temps to warm temps. Going the other direction is not really the problem. When we come in from the field to the rig - the cold rifle goes into a cold pickup cab and warms slowly as the truck is driven. As long as this is a slow operation condensation is not a problem... If you wear glasses for hunting you will KNOW when you get condensation and when you do not.

One other thing remember BH-209 is not hydroscopic.

Next - if there is any doubt in your mind - get the load out...

Hope some of this might help...

OP
Rheron

Rheron

FNG
Thank you all for your input. Took awhile to find a forum with this much information and participation but I'm finally here!!

OP
Rheron

Rheron

FNG
Haven’t been on this thread in a long while. Just wanted to let y’all know I appreciate all your input and I was successful in my hunt. Took a large cow. Phenomenal experience. Already have the 2018 elk hunt lined up. Thanks again guys.
Ryan