Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member tagout75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Long range muzzleloader

    Looking some information on what everyone thought on the best out the box muzzleloader for long range without breaking the bank? And for me long range is around 300 yards. Any suggestions would be appreciated!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Senior Member sabotloader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Idaho
    Posts
    630
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tagout75 View Post
    Looking some information on what everyone thought on the best out the box muzzleloader for long range without breaking the bank? And for me long range is around 300 yards. Any suggestions would be appreciated!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would say that the top 5 rifles shown here in the results of this match in Tennessee might qualify



  3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post
  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like
    So Knight would be good?? 😀 I like seeing what the top guy used. Paper patched bullet and real black powder. I got some 3f Swiss for my Lyman. I look forward to lobbing some roundballs at long range for kicks. Target practice of course.

  5. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
  6. #4
    Senior Member sabotloader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Idaho
    Posts
    630
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbell View Post
    So Knight would be good?? �� I like seeing what the top guy used. Paper patched bullet and real black powder. I got some 3f Swiss for my Lyman. I look forward to lobbing some roundballs at long range for kicks. Target practice of course.


    You will have to magnify the pic to see much.

  7. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good shooting!

  8. #6
    Senior Member Bearhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    532
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good to see some Knight guys placing in the top ranks! For anyone in the market for a Mountaineer there is one at Skagit Arms in Burlington WA in the $700 range which is a steal as they are 11-1200 guns now... Thanks for posting Sabotloader!
    Go in Lite come out Heavy! MEATMODE BABY >---->

  9. #7
    Senior Member sabotloader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Idaho
    Posts
    630
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearhunter View Post
    Good to see some Knight guys placing in the top ranks! For anyone in the market for a Mountaineer there is one at Skagit Arms in Burlington WA in the $700 range which is a steal as they are 11-1200 guns now... Thanks for posting Sabotloader!
    Shoot O deer! that is a great price on a new Mountaineer! I assume it is a 50 cal with Western ignition?

  10. #8
    Senior Member Bearhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    532
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ya its a .50cal with western kit, it has a couple scratches on the stock is why its hugely discounted, could definetly be cleaned up...
    Go in Lite come out Heavy! MEATMODE BABY >---->

  11. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    castle pines, co
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like
    you could get a t/c encore with a smokeless barrel from SMI ($525)
    products

  12. #10
    Senior Member mfllood3800's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    798
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a T/C FX Pro Hunter. It will shoot decent out to 300, with the Leupold Slam scope. It is stock out of the box..
    Not sure if you're wanting to be sub MOA at 300

    But I can consistently group about a basket ball size at 300. That will kill an elk or deer.

    I think I paid $800 for gun and scope combo a year ago.

    I have heard great things about Remingtons
    "You can only do publicly what you pay for in private"
    Don't be something you aren't

  13. #11
    Senior Member cornfedkiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    SEIA
    Posts
    205
    Post Thanks / Like
    No love for CVA?

    I haven't shot my new Accura yet, but have several friends that have them and absolutely love them, and shoot sub MOA groups at 200 yards all day long. After playing around with both the Accura V2 and MR at the store, I went with the MR because of the ergonomics of it. When I shouldered the V2, I was looking directly down the barrel, which would be nice if I wasnt putting a scope on it, but I had to drop the gun down or pick my head up a little to look down a scope.

    First impressions out of the box were very good. The nitride conditioning is very nice, and the gun actually has a lifetime warranty against any corrosion, pitting, etc.

    I'll be shooting BH209 and 290gr Barnes Expander T-EZs...

    Btw, I had a Remington Ultimate and sold it to buy the Accura.

  14. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cornfedkiller View Post
    No love for CVA?

    I haven't shot my new Accura yet, but have several friends that have them and absolutely love them, and shoot sub MOA groups at 200 yards all day long. After playing around with both the Accura V2 and MR at the store, I went with the MR because of the ergonomics of it. When I shouldered the V2, I was looking directly down the barrel, which would be nice if I wasnt putting a scope on it, but I had to drop the gun down or pick my head up a little to look down a scope.

    First impressions out of the box were very good. The nitride conditioning is very nice, and the gun actually has a lifetime warranty against any corrosion, pitting, etc.

    I'll be shooting BH209 and 290gr Barnes Expander T-EZs...

    Btw, I had a Remington Ultimate and sold it to buy the Accura.
    Good choice.

  15. #13
    Administrator robby denning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SE Idaho
    Posts
    5,557
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Knight 45 shoots close to 1-2 MOA at 300 yards. There is a video on the Rokslide Youtube channel

  16. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
  17. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been away from the ML game for a number of years.

    With respect to conventional guns, IMHO one of the best ever made was the T/C Omega. I have one with the thumbhole stock, bedded, which shot sub-MOA to 400 yards with the 200SW and MOA with the 325FTX at 500 yards.

    Smokeless is a whole other ballgame. I built one on a Savage short action and it was .75-1 MOA at 500 yards with the 200SW.

  18. #15
    Senior Member maninthemaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Might check the laws about using smokeless powder hunting. There's a guy here in KY that makes some of the most accurate ML around. His name is Jeff Hankins Custom Rifles

    He has a very unique ignition system. Worth checking!

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

  19. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spaniel View Post
    I've been away from the ML game for a number of years.

    With respect to conventional guns, IMHO one of the best ever made was the T/C Omega. I have one with the thumbhole stock, bedded, which shot sub-MOA to 400 yards with the 200SW and MOA with the 325FTX at 500 yards.

    Smokeless is a whole other ballgame. I built one on a Savage short action and it was .75-1 MOA at 500 yards with the 200SW.
    How much drop do you have at 500yds?

  20. #17
    Senior Member maninthemaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    458
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure how much drop Jeff Hankins has on his ML but his shoots a 275 grain bullet around 3100 fps.

    Scroll to the bottom of the page for rifle specs. Custom Rifles - Rifles & Pricing

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •