Input Needed on New Muzzle Loader

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
I have a really nice inline that I just gave to my son that is a tack driver, always shoots, it was perfect except I really want to go back to the more traditional muzzle loader. I started off shooting round balls out of a .54 T/C grey hawk and really enjoyed it but got caught up in the inline graze. I am thinking of going back to a Hawken style and really like what I have read about the Lyman Prairie Shooter in a .54 cal. This would be a percussion cap as I dont really want to go Flyntlock here in MN. Anyone have experience with one or another brand I should look at? Again, looking for a round ball shooter.

Thanks!

I'd suggest posting on Modern Muzzleloader . com as there's many knowledgeable people there that can offer advice.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

CoHiCntry

WKR
I'd agree with COLOelkman's comment. Sabotloader on here could probably help you out too. I know T/C has some good offerings as does Lyman but can't comment on why or if one is better than the other. All sidelocks seem to be similarly built.

OP
StrutNut

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
Work has blocked any "weapon related" sites. Apparently Rokslide slides under the radar ;) I can look at ESPN, Facebook, Instragram, Twitter all I want but if its weapon related its blocked.

bbell

WKR
I have a Lyman Great Plains rifle with the slow twist rifling. Have only shot it a few times so far but they have a good reputation for accuracy. Once I get my sights finished I will be putting more time into shooting.

Brandon

I have a really nice inline that I just gave to my son that is a tack driver, always shoots, it was perfect except I really want to go back to the more traditional muzzle loader. I started off shooting round balls out of a .54 T/C grey hawk and really enjoyed it but got caught up in the inline graze. I am thinking of going back to a Hawken style and really like what I have read about the Lyman Prairie Shooter in a .54 cal. This would be a percussion cap as I dont really want to go Flyntlock here in MN. Anyone have experience with one or another brand I should look at? Again, looking for a round ball shooter.

I started off with a Lyman Trade Rifle in 54 - they are really a good rifle. If you can find one of those you might really like it.

After the trade rifle I ended up with a couple of TC Hawken both in 54 and 50 - but I soon traded out of them in the TC Renegade which was much more my style - just a plain jane sidehammer that extremely well.

All of these rifles were a 1-48 twist which is a compromise twist so you can shoot the a PRB or a short conical or even a short bullet and sabot. If you want to shoot PRB's for hunting - I would really look for a slow twist barrel designed for PRB shooting.

If you are willing to shoot PRB's with a somewhat reduced powder load the 1-48 will work and if you are thing conical - short ones the 1-48 will work...

This is my favorite - it is a Green Mountain LRH fast twist barrel mounted in a TC Renegade stock

Not much good for shooting PRB's but great for everything else

These are normal TC Renegades

Biggest problem TC has dropped these. You can find them on auction site...

It is still awful hard to beat a trade rifle...

trade-rifle-main.jpg

O and check Cabelas they have some very good offerings...

OP
StrutNut

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like I can get the Trade Rifle quite a bit cheaper than even the kit for the Great Plains. I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Trade Rifle and thought maybe a rifle that can shoot both RB and Sabots wouldnt be a bad idea after all.