Ultra Lite Recoil Pad Removal

jsbowhunt

FNG
Anyone remove the recoil pad from their Ultra Lite ? I need to lengthen my LOP with a spacer. I've removed the screws but it appears to be glued on. Any suggestions ???

Anyone remove the recoil pad from their Ultra Lite ? I need to lengthen my LOP with a spacer. I've removed the screws but it appears to be glued on. Any suggestions ???

I am at a loss - I do not think I have ever removed one - but Knight has never adhered them to the stock before...

OP
J

jsbowhunt

FNG
Update; Just received a email from Bell & Carlson,
Our pads are both glued and screwed on. To remove the screws find the slits in the pads approximately 1" from either end of the pad. Use a phillips head screw driver to remove the screws.
The pad is also glued on with Loctite 401. Some customers have put the stock in the freezer. Take an exactor or razor knife and lighting go around the stock. (the black piece between the pad and stock is actually part of the pad-it is NOT a spacer) After, take the stock out and LIGHTLY tap the pad and it typically pops off.
If this process does not work, it will need to be cut off. Prying the pad off will damage the stock and this is NOT covered by warranty.
Bell and Carlson does have a process in which we shorten the LOP. If we do this process at the time we build the stock we only charge for the LOP change. After the stock is built the charge is for the LOP change, a new pad and a refinish.
Hmmm, I guess I have to work up the nerve to give this an attempt, already a little apprehensive about grinding a spacer to match and now this !!!

Update; Just received a email from Bell & Carlson,
Our pads are both glued and screwed on. To remove the screws find the slits in the pads approximately 1" from either end of the pad. Use a phillips head screw driver to remove the screws.
The pad is also glued on with Loctite 401. Some customers have put the stock in the freezer. Take an exactor or razor knife and lighting go around the stock. (the black piece between the pad and stock is actually part of the pad-it is NOT a spacer) After, take the stock out and LIGHTLY tap the pad and it typically pops off.
If this process does not work, it will need to be cut off. Prying the pad off will damage the stock and this is NOT covered by warranty.
Bell and Carlson does have a process in which we shorten the LOP. If we do this process at the time we build the stock we only charge for the LOP change. After the stock is built the charge is for the LOP change, a new pad and a refinish.
Hmmm, I guess I have to work up the nerve to give this an attempt, already a little apprehensive about grinding a spacer to match and now this !!!

Wow! and Dang it!

OP
J

jsbowhunt

FNG
Well I have a follow to my initial post, first Locktite 401 is some awesome stuff ! I scored the stock all the way around the recoil pad, then I froze the stock as recommended, carefully supported and lightly tapped (then heavily tapped) the spacer and recoil pad and it did NOT pop off. View attachment 52289
I did get it off but a lot of pieces stayed on the stock. I carefully chipped and scraped off what I could. Sanded the stock flat then installed and scribed my new Limbsaver Nitro pad and ground to fit. Definitely not a job for a novice like me to attempt but I took my time and came out with a fairly decent job IMO.View attachment 52290View attachment 52291

Bar

Banned
More guts than me. I doubt I would have tried to remove it. I'd just wear a shoulder pad.

OP
J

jsbowhunt

FNG
Not really sure if it was "worth" the effort but I'm a big guy, 6'4" and with my scope as far forward as it can be my eye relief wasn't even close. So to get a longer length of pull I need to put in a spacer or different recoil pad. Once I committed to it I had to do whatever was necessary to finish the job, besides I'm a DIY kind of guy anyways. Between the recoil pad and the cheek piece my view through the scope is perfect.

Bar

Banned
Scope bite is more a matter of eye relief on the scope, not LOP. You can move the scope as far away as you want, but we're stuck with what the eye relief is.