Ultra-lite question

pete

Lil-Rokslider
I have zero experience with muzzleloaders, so I have what may be a dumb question...
In a 209 model ultra-lite, what is an "rpj" version? I'm assuming something related to full plastic jacket, but the "r" stands for ??
The back story is that there's an archery shop reasonably close by that has a couple ultra-lites that they haven't been able to sell for a long time, and don't seem to know much about them at all. I recently asked the shop owner what he would take in cash for them, and he offered what I consider a steal. I took down the serial number, and shot an email to knight to try to find out some more info about the rifle. They confirmed that it was a 209 model ultra lite, but weren't sure if it was bare primer or rpj, hence my question.

GKPrice

Banned
I have zero experience with muzzleloaders, so I have what may be a dumb question...
In a 209 model ultra-lite, what is an "rpj" version? I'm assuming something related to full plastic jacket, but the "r" stands for ??
The back story is that there's an archery shop reasonably close by that has a couple ultra-lites that they haven't been able to sell for a long time, and don't seem to know much about them at all. I recently asked the shop owner what he would take in cash for them, and he offered what I consider a steal. I took down the serial number, and shot an email to knight to try to find out some more info about the rifle. They confirmed that it was a 209 model ultra lite, but weren't sure if it was bare primer or rpj, hence my question.

no experience with ML either but your question intrigued me - a 209 SG primer is common in modern ML's - seeing the "P" in rpj made me suspect a percussion cap of somekind but if Knight says they'll take 209 primers that should be simple enough

I believe they are trying to tell you fpj, the red plastic jacket jackets that seal around the 209 primer for waterproof ignition. Looking at the breech it should be very apparent If it takes a bare primer or the fpj. If you are not buying all of the ultralites please pm me the shop name and phone number.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
P

pete

Lil-Rokslider
I somehow missed that the fpj was a knight feature, that makes sense.
Are there any drawbacks to the fpj version? I know they sell conversion kits, but that would add to the cost and I would already need to get the barrel drilled & tapped for front sights.

Tim - I'll send you a pm.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
I believe they are trying to tell you fpj, the red plastic jacket jackets that seal around the 209 primer for waterproof ignition. Looking at the breech it should be very apparent If it takes a bare primer or the fpj. If you are not buying all of the ultralites please pm me the shop name and phone number.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If neither of you are buying all of them I would be interested as well.

Been looking for a deal on a .50 ultralight for over a year now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robie

WKR
Only issue with the FPJ version is that it doesn't come with holes for mounting a front sight. You will have to take it to gunsmith to get him to drill holes for that.

If you are only hunting states like NM that allow a scope then it isn't an issue. I ordered mine from sportsmanwarehouse in the Western Edition then ordered a conversion kit from Knight for the FPJ 209.

OP
P

pete

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, neither has a front sight, so I would need to bring it to a gunsmith.
Elkoholic - I'll send you a pm

fyi, I have an UL that didn't have the front site holes so I asked Knight about it. They said if I have a gunsmith do it, it would void their warranty. Not sure why but I sent it to Knight and they did it for no charge.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
The only real difference i have read from shooters of both of the the fpj and the bare is the blow back with fpj and increased cleaning associated with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

pete

Lil-Rokslider
fyi, I have an UL that didn't have the front site holes so I asked Knight about it. They said if I have a gunsmith do it, it would void their warranty. Not sure why but I sent it to Knight and they did it for no charge.

Can you give me the name of the person you spoke with? I asked about that and I was told that it wasn't a service that they offered.

jm1607

WKR
Can you give me the name of the person you spoke with? I asked about that and I was told that it wasn't a service that they offered.

I would like to know as well!

On side note, what are the pros to the rpj? More waterproof??

I don't recall the name of the person however here's the story. I talked to them about it via an email and they told me to send it in. Well I sent it in where they told me, then 2-3 weeks later they sent it back with a rather unfriendly response which said that they don't know why I sent it to them as they didn't do that (drill and tapping). So I emailed or called their customer service and was told that the barrel should have been sent to a different office, so I sent it there and they did it with a very cordial response. So it appeared someone told me the wrong place to send it. So you would really want to be sure it is sent to the correct place and get confirmation about it. I have seen other people that have had their guns drilled and tapped by a gunsmith outside of Knight so I know it is a rather easy thing but I decided to just send it to Knight since they specifically told me that I would no longer have a valid warranty. Sorry I can't give any more specifics as I'm going from memory about 3 years ago.

OP
P

pete

Lil-Rokslider
I don't recall the name of the person however here's the story. I talked to them about it via an email and they told me to send it in. Well I sent it in where they told me, then 2-3 weeks later they sent it back with a rather unfriendly response which said that they don't know why I sent it to them as they didn't do that (drill and tapping). So I emailed or called their customer service and was told that the barrel should have been sent to a different office, so I sent it there and they did it with a very cordial response. So it appeared someone told me the wrong place to send it. So you would really want to be sure it is sent to the correct place and get confirmation about it. I have seen other people that have had their guns drilled and tapped by a gunsmith outside of Knight so I know it is a rather easy thing but I decided to just send it to Knight since they specifically told me that I would no longer have a valid warranty. Sorry I can't give any more specifics as I'm going from memory about 3 years ago.

Ok, looks like I have some phone calls to make. I thought I remembered reading something about voiding the warranty if it went to a gunsmith. Hopefully I can get someone on the phone who has the right info.

Ok, looks like I have some phone calls to make. I thought I remembered reading something about voiding the warranty if it went to a gunsmith. Hopefully I can get someone on the phone who has the right info.
Pete- i looked back thru emails and found it. You might confirm with Knight CS but I eventually had it drilled and tapped via:
Knight Rifles
213 Dennis St.
Athens TN. 37303
They said Gordy would take care if it. Do not send it to Sam, in Centerville IA.
The email i got was from Ashley in Customer service.
Hope this helps!
Doug

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

OP
P

pete

Lil-Rokslider
Pete- i looked back thru emails and found it. You might confirm with Knight CS but I eventually had it drilled and tapped via:
Knight Rifles
213 Dennis St.
Athens TN. 37303
They said Gordy would take care if it. Do not send it to Sam, in Centerville IA.
The email i got was from Ashley in Customer service.
Hope this helps!
Doug

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info! I appreciate you taking the time to find that old email.

In a 209 model ultra-lite, what is an "rpj" version?

FPJ - Full Plastic Jacket and in your case it is a red plastic jacket. This is the red jacket primed with a 209 shot gun primer.

m901110_600-248x250.jpg

I'm assuming something related to full plastic jacket, but the "r" stands for ??

If the breech plug looks like this it is a FPJ system

M900018-600-250x250.jpg

If it looks like this.... it is a NFPJ system - Non Full Plastic Jacket

M900020-600-250x250.jpg

You also will need the correct bolt to go with the BP that is installed in your rifle

Hope this helps a bit..

dotman

WKR
Truthfully when I got my ultralight I picked up the bare primer kit, I really like the FPJ system and haven't even tried the bare setup. Save your red jackets and wash them, they can be reused a few times before the primer pockets loosen up.

I get the blow by theory, I've only used BH209 and blow by just doesn't seem to be an issue for me.

Last edited: