My New Knight Ultra-Lite

I mounted a scope to find my load but never did shoot past 100 yds. I ended up using 300gr Thor bullets and 100gr of 209 powder. If I remember right my group opened up a bit at 110gr of powder.

dotman

WKR
This new hobby is really making me want to buy a chrono to see what exactly how fast I'm pushing the THOR and if I'm consistent. Did you notice a change in accuracy with more powder or just pushing it a little faster?

Truthfully between 100 and 110 no change, groups were not as good with 90 but really they were not bad. I never did put the chrono on it, should have.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
I stretched it out to 200 Sunday. Took a little bit to get used to but I'm happy with the grouping after a few shots. I had to aim just above the black to get the final results.

If I have an antelope at 200 I will aim just over its back and should put it right on the money.
20170821_111113.jpg

This new hobby is really making me want to buy a chrono to see what exactly how fast I'm pushing the THOR and if I'm consistent. Did you notice a change in accuracy with more powder or just pushing it a little faster?

I shoot an identical set-up: Ultra-light, Thor 300gn .502, 110 BH209. I get 1-1/2" groups at 100 yards off the bench. Velocity at 1975 fps. I have shot both the Thors and the Hornadys at game. Both work well. But the Thor is lead-free, shoots more accurately (out of my rifle) and reliably expands with 100% weight retention (minus the plastic tip).

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Also how well can you see that front sight? It looks like it would be hard to see at dusk or dawn.

I ended up with 100 grains of BH 209 and the THOR bullets. I might step it up to 110 next time to see if I can tell a difference.

The front sight is faint but I can clearly see where it is. I have thicker inserts I could use but I'm happy with the fine cross hairs.

I will try look through it early morning and at dusk to confirm I can still see it well.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
I shoot an identical set-up: Ultra-light, Thor 300gn .502, 110 BH209. I get 1-1/2" groups at 100 yards off the bench. Velocity at 1975 fps. I have shot both the Thors and the Hornadys at game. Both work well. But the Thor is lead-free, shoots more accurately (out of my rifle) and reliably expands with 100% weight retention (minus the plastic tip).

I'm very curious about weight retention on the Thor bullets if I don't get a pass through. I like the Hornady's for getting on paper but the accuracy of the Thor's is what I will be sticking with until I find something better. I have a hard time believing that I will do much better with sabbots. But if I draw a NM tag I will test them out with a scope and see what it can do.

I wonder if you can't see it well as light fades if some bright paint would work. For the open areas its probably fine but I wonder in the timber deer or elk hunting.

Another question, why did you order the other front sight inserts instead of using the ones that came with the front sight?

OP
robie

robie

WKR
I love this gun. Took an antelope this morning at 213 yards. I practiced at 200 and it worked. I would say the Thor bullets did their job. Looking forward to my next hunt with it.
da34d8e6129bac632880997540c96937.jpg
2826e3e055bb1b2bf698a411351fb84f.jpg
9b025a6c072d239c9332c8071cbcbbd1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I bought the parts to try the crosshairs, except the crosshairs inserts. I wanted to see what the inserts it comes with looked like first. Looking at the inserts that came with it I am really worried that the black inserts will just disappear in low light.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
I bought the parts to try the crosshairs, except the crosshairs inserts. I wanted to see what the inserts it comes with looked like first. Looking at the inserts that came with it I am really worried that the black inserts will just disappear in low light.
I think you will be fine. I had no issues today. It was very dark outside in the middle of a downpour.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
New Mexico.

I would say that is good weight retention.
8b220efb312ef0ef5fafcf9adcd504ec.jpg

danarnold

WKR
great info, I never have owned a ML but just bought a UL from midway due to this and all of the associated threads re: the Knight UL..... thanks!
this place just keeps on costing me, I'm not bitching tho

OP
robie

robie

WKR
great info, I never have owned a ML but just bought a UL from midway due to this and all of the associated threads re: the Knight UL..... thanks!
this place just keeps on costing me, I'm not bitching tho
It's an amazing weapon. Let me know if you have any questions.