First day ML'er Elk season

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Today is the first day Oregon Muzzle loader cow elk season ,It's kinda a Damage hunt but not LOP emergency tag ,Must be on private land and hard to find a place to hunt with out a fee. We were in the Elk but from my liking to walk a smooth trail we missed them by 200 yards as the were leaving the fields , Could see them but not close enough to select dry cow. The calves are tiny and don't want a nursing cow ,, 95 deg today so you guessed it back home in front of cooler, Gonna hit it hard tomorrow. Probably take the rougher trail and they will go out the smooth trail . LOL

Today is the first day Oregon Muzzle loader cow elk season ,It's kinda a Damage hunt but not LOP emergency tag ,Must be on private land and hard to find a place to hunt with out a fee. We were in the Elk but from my liking to walk a smooth trail we missed them by 200 yards as the were leaving the fields , Could see them but not close enough to select dry cow. The calves are tiny and don't want a nursing cow ,, 95 deg today so you guessed it back home in front of cooler, Gonna hit it hard tomorrow. Probably take the rougher trail and they will go out the smooth trail . LOL

It is way way to hot!

OP
ole hunter

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with you . But land owner might get some else to help keep elk off his pastures . It was 47 deg up there this morning . My sister and husband have walk-in cooler to hang one by quarters ,, I am going to do am hunts .

I agree with you . But land owner might get some else to help keep elk off his pastures . It was 47 deg up there this morning . My sister and husband have walk-in cooler to hang one by quarters ,, I am going to do am hunts .

47* really does not sound all that bad... Just don't shoot a monster that would take awhile to get out!

OP
ole hunter

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Oh did I mention it started August 1st but ends October 15 th , If this year be like last year we will have 2 foot of snow by end of my season ,,Gonna keep going but just chasin the Elk out of the field unless I have to shoot one in self defense , and will be alone so cant get to excited with not havin any help ,,

Oh did I mention it started August 1st but ends October 15 th , If this year be like last year we will have 2 foot of snow by end of my season ,,Gonna keep going but just chasin the Elk out of the field unless I have to shoot one in self defense , and will be alone so cant get to excited with not havin any help ,,

Dang! I wish Oregon and your location were closer

Bar

Banned
You might have got too much expansion on the Bullshop by using too much powder. Try again with 80gr. Maybe even 70gr. You might get more penetration and not so much expansion. Worth a try anyway. Plus, recoil will be more pleasent.

OP
ole hunter

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Gotta on the recoil ,,Kicks like a ex-wife , I will try 80gr. next test session. most my shots are going to be 100 yds tho , The video test was at 25 yds ,that could make a difference. Thank you for your advise ,,,,

OP
ole hunter

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Last night we went for a drive to check out what the elk might be doing , After some talk about the eclipse maybe confusing the elk and they might return to the fields during day,, LOL ,, Not going to happen There are so many people camping up there all they need is some lead flying by or see us in our secret spot hunting elk ,,, anything for a edge ,,,

460gr Bull shop bullet test - YouTube The Knight Ultra Lite is ready to go. Shooting the Bull Shop 460 gr bullet and 90 gr of 3f

90 grains of T7 has worked very well for me, as long as you put shot card or wad under the bullet to keep the powder from melting the bottom of the bullet... 90 grains creates 1500 fps for me and it really is a bit heavy for a lead bullet - but it does work well

90460_MTNEx.jpg

This is the reason I went to 90...

DHawken.jpg

I have not experienced over-expansion with them - even at closer ranges I still have a shank left on the bullet anyway the bullets that I have found.

OP
ole hunter

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
We got to thinking that we might get a ticket for hunting in the dark ,, eclipse dark ,,, does that count .. We have not seen any elk for 2 days must be hiding good or maybe space ship came got them again like last year,, Thanks for the info Mike , Will relook and go over my powder measure . Pretty sure am at 90 gr 3f ,,,

OP
ole hunter

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I had a great season this year got to hunt 3 months straight , Broke camp 2 weeks ago and came home to my wife, She would come hunt with me on her days off work . We did very well this year, filled all 4 of our cow elk tags ,Plus I drawed a Buck tag and took a nice 3 point Muley Buck .

I had a great season this year got to hunt 3 months straight , Broke camp 2 weeks ago and came home to my wife, She would come hunt with me on her days off work . We did very well this year, filled all 4 of our cow elk tags ,Plus I drawed a Buck tag and took a nice 3 point Muley Buck .

Congrats over there! Sounds like you guys had a great season...

We are just getting started here!