Blackhorn grains vs bullet mass

jm1607

WKR
Right now in my Knight I'm running 275gr Bloodlines with 110gr Blackhorn and it shoots LIGHTS OUT. Sub moa at 100 yards and about a 3" group at 200.

1st off, I know I won't truly know the answer to my question until I get out and shoot these combinations. I'm just looking for some generalized info..

I want to start practicing at ranges past 200 for fun.. I'm going to try upping my BH to 120gr and I'm also planning on trying the newer Lehigh .452x265gr bullets (with sabots). Does this sound like a good combination? I guess my question is should a little bit lighter bullet with a little more powder effect my accuracy? It seems like no one runs 120gr BH209? I know it will increase my velocity considerably, which is why I want to try it. The less bullet drop after 200 the better.. I really like the design on the newer Lehighs and 265 is the heaviest they make..

Is there a general formula/chart, like you want to use more powder with a heavier bullet or vice versa? Or with a 275gr bullet you should be between 100-110gr, with a 300gr bullet you should be between xx-xx? I just want to see if I'm going the right or wrong direction for amount of powder vs bullet weight..

Sorry, it's an odd question and I'm not sure quite how to ask it..

Last edited:

ENCORE

WKR
IMO, if your going to shoot longer range, stay with the heavier bullets, adjust your charge for the best/tightest groups, then dial the turret for distance. In general, heavier bullets stabilize better at long range.

Right now in my Knight I'm running 275gr Bloodlines with 110gr Blackhorn and it shoots LIGHTS OUT. Sub moa at 100 yards and about a 3" group at 200.

1st off, I know I won't truly know the answer to my question until I get out and shoot these combinations. I'm just looking for some generalized info..

I want to start practicing at ranges past 200 for fun.. I'm going to try upping my BH to 120gr and I'm also planning on trying the newer Lehigh .452x265gr bullets (with sabots). Does this sound like a good combination?

I actually wish Lehigh Dave had produced that bullet in a little heavier variety - but the 265 is a great bullet and 200 yards with 120 grains of powder will not be a problem in you Knight.

This will give you a little more information on that bullet.

Lehigh_452-265_CF-_HP.jpg

I guess my question is should a little bit lighter bullet with a little more powder effect my accuracy? It seems like no one runs 120gr BH209? I know it will increase my velocity considerably, which is why I want to try it. The less bullet drop after 200 the better.. I really like the design on the newer Lehighs and 265 is the heaviest they make..

Actually I believe there are a lot of people shooting 120 of BH - trying for the velocity increase

Is there a general formula/chart, like you want to use more powder with a heavier bullet or vice versa? Or with a 275gr bullet you should be between 100-110gr, with a 300gr bullet you should be between xx-xx? I just want to see if I'm going the right or wrong direction for amount of powder vs bullet weight..

Sorry, it's an odd question and I'm not sure quite how to ask it..

I would suggest to you that if I were shooting targets for money - I would use reduced loads and get the best accuracy I could. But for hunting I want good accuracy with great Terminal Performance. The 275 -265 - and the 305 will give you that as well as the 300 grain Bloodline.

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
I actually wish Lehigh Dave had produced that bullet in a little heavier variety - but the 265 is a great bullet and 200 yards with 120 grains of powder will not be a problem in you Knight.

This will give you a little more information on that bullet.

Lehigh_452-265_CF-_HP.jpg

Actually I believe there are a lot of people shooting 120 of BH - trying for the velocity increase

I would suggest to you that if I were shooting targets for money - I would use reduced loads and get the best accuracy I could. But for hunting I want good accuracy with great Terminal Performance. The 275 -265 - and the 305 will give you that as well as the 300 grain Bloodline.

Awesome, thanks Mike.

Well.. The reason I wanted to use the 265s so bad was because I thought they were going to put poly tips on them, but it looks like they opted not to do that..

With that in mind I think I may move go the other direction and move up to the 300 bloodlines. What are the 305s you mention? Do you have a link to them?

Awesome, thanks Mike.

Well.. The reason I wanted to use the 265s so bad was because I thought they were going to put poly tips on them, but it looks like they opted not to do that..

With that in mind I think I may move go the other direction and move up to the 300 bloodlines. What are the 305s you mention? Do you have a link to them?

Sure...

This is the one I shoot...

lehigh-defense-458-controlled-fracturing-305gr-bullet_medium.jpg

458-305_Ballistics_zps95b3448d.jpg

But this one might be the best for a ML... Because of the slits the bullet will operate at a lower velocity... Which out past 175 yards could b e a plus!

lehigh-defense-458-controlled-fracturing-300gr-subsonic-bullet_medium.jpg

Bullets – tagged "458-45-70-government" – Lehigh Defense, LLC

Lehigh did run some experimental tips for the 265 - the were aluminum - but the bullet failed to open with the tip install it would just run right through the animal.

452x272.jpg

Lehigh_452-270_CF-Tipped.jpg

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Those 300gr bullets with the slits look very intriguing! I like the idea of making sure they still fracture at longer distances..

Have you noticed an accuracy different out of your ultralight between the 305s and the 300gr bloodlines?

What sabots do you use with them?

Those 300gr bullets with the slits look very intriguing! I like the idea of making sure they still fracture at longer distances..

Have you noticed an accuracy different out of your ultralight between the 305s and the 300gr bloodlines?

What sabots do you use with them?

No I really have not noticed a difference in accuracy between the two...

The 300's are .458 ML bullets so they have a larger +/- tolerance - I use the orange MMP 458 sabot with that bullet.

On the other hand the two 45-70 bullets have a much tighter tolerance since it is a rifle bullet. They are to loose in my Knights in the orange sabot so I use a the MMP HPH-24 or even the HPH-12. Because there is not knurling on the rifle bullets you really need the bullet to be tight in the sabot.

The CF 300 grain bullet with the slits will work beyond 200 yards - just not sure how far... the 305's are marginal at 200 and beyond. I know they work at 190 yards!

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
No I really have not noticed a difference in accuracy between the two...

The 300's are .458 ML bullets so they have a larger +/- tolerance - I use the orange MMP 458 sabot with that bullet.

On the other hand the two 45-70 bullets have a much tighter tolerance since it is a rifle bullet. They are to loose in my Knights in the orange sabot so I use a the MMP HPH-24 or even the HPH-12. Because there is not knurling on the rifle bullets you really need the bullet to be tight in the sabot.

The CF 300 grain bullet with the slits will work beyond 200 yards - just not sure how far... the 305's are marginal at 200 and beyond. I know they work at 190 yards!

Cool!

I've had such good luck with bloodlines I'm trying to convince myself there's a reason to switch lol! I may just stick to the bloodlines and move up to 300gr and 120gr BH, but I really want to at least try that 300 45-70..

Mike, do you happen to have a graph for (or possibly input it in your Barnes program) for either or both the 300 bloodline and 305 45-70 with 120gr BH? If possible out to 300 yards (if available) or at least as far as it will allow? I just really want to see the trajectory and bullet drop.. Thanks in advance and no hurry

Last edited: