Scopes

Beararms

Lil-Rokslider
The UL is now in the house!! The tan stock is a bit darker than the tan stock pic in the 2017 Knight Catalog and I am very happy with my color choice. I could not find the Warne Maxima mounts locally so I ordered them online.

I am still searching for a scope that I will be happy with and not want to replace. I prefer the duplex reticles and do not care for ballistic reticles. The ones I have been looking at are

VX-1 3-9x40 ($250)
Ultimate Slam LR with windplex & CDS (VX-1 model)($400)
VX-3i 2.5-8x36 ($400)
VX-3i 2.5-8x36 with parallax adjusted @ custom shop ($425)
VX-3i 2.5-8x36 with parallax adjusted & CDS elevation knob @ custom shop ($485)

How useful is the CDS on a muzzleloader? I believe the CDS only has one rotation so how much distance would it offer?
Does anyone dial out with hunting or just hold over/under? Actually I will not be shooting any longer than 100 yards at game.
If I do go the VX-3i route, what parallax setting is best. They can do 50/60/75/100/150/200.

ENCORE

WKR
The CDS turret is matched to a specific charge, MV and bullet combination. Changing of either component will throw off the turret. Example: Shooting 120grs of T7 and say a 300gr bullet. If the turret is made for that charge and bullet weight (including MV), if you were to change to 100grs T7 and that same 300gr bullet, the turret will not match.
The CDS turret works excellent with the exact charge/load it was designed for. However, if you're not shooting long range and keeping shots to just 100yds, its not necessary at all. If the scope you may purchase offers a FREE CDS turret, then I would definitely consider having one made, just in case you wanted to shoot longer range in the future.

OP
B

Beararms

Lil-Rokslider
Well, it is a $60 option from the Leupold custom shop to have CDS put on a scope that does not have it. The only problem I have read with the CDS system is it only allows one rotation of the turret. I don't know if that will be enough adjustment since I won't be able to shoot it until a few weeks or so and see the drop.

ENCORE

WKR
I'm a little confused with the "one rotation"? I used the CDS turret on a VX6 and there's more than one full rotation, giving the full adjustment allowable with the scope. Your current turret is removed, then the CDS turret is installed and secured by 3 set screws. Mine was dead on shooting my Ultimate.

OP
B

Beararms

Lil-Rokslider
What I mean by one rotation is with the CDS dial installed on 0, you can only rotate the dial 360 degrees. The new vx5/vx6 have a two rotation where one can rotate the dial two complete turns. Or, am I incorrect and misunderstood what I was told, which is probably the case.

ENCORE

WKR
With a "0" moa mount and standard rings, I believe you'll have more than a full rotation, just as I did on my VX6 (old model, not HD).

OP
B

Beararms

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at Gundeals site yesterday and saw a Vortex Crossfire II Muzzleloading scope at Cabelas for $42 with the Labor Day code. It is a 1x24 non-magnified scope so I said heck, why not. It will give me some time to get things figured out and load development before I purchase a nicer scope. I can always throw that scope on one of my RWS pellet rifles when done!!