Lehigh 240CF & BH in the Rock Pit

Suppose to get to the high 90* today and triple digits tomorrow so I decided this morning might be the morning to get some shooting in. About the only really safe place (fire) around here to shoot is in the 'Rock Pit". Left the house this morning, temp 64*, and headed to the pit.

It was still fairly cool when I arrived at the pit. This morning there was another portion of the shooting that was different than most of the times I shoot, besides a different bullet. Yesterday I had loaded 20 tubes of BH-209! I do not normally use BH, way to expensive for me... but.... I can afford it now for awhile anyway. One of the local sporting good chains was running a sale! They purchased BH-209 several years ago and have not been able to sale it. So between two stores I have purchased their remaining stock - 15 bottles - $19.97 each. That really makes it affordable :D

Armed with a new bullet and new powder it seemed like it was going to be a good morning in the pit! This was to be a recreational shoot, as Grouse and other others have proven the accuracy of the bullet. I set up 6 birds on the wall loaded up and started shooting. The rifle had been setup for shooting T7, but I could not tell any difference shooting the BH load. Same sight picture on the target as before and the same results... After shooting the first 6 birds I decided to walk 3 more birds down to the wall and instead of using W209's decided I wanted to try some CCI 209's. These are not the Mag 209 just regular 209's - same results.

The .452x240CF-HP proved to be a very good bullet in my mind, but again it had already shown that in other test conducted - so basically I was just verifying that in my mind.

The new copper bullet is really a nice looking bullet also...

Lehigh_240.jpg

This picture tries to illustrate the shoot in the pit.

Lehigh_17-9-1_240_Composite.jpg

Since I still consider BH - "Black Gold" - I threw the powder at the house in my volume loader and transferred the load to one of Lane's tubes. This way nothing was lost or wasted. Then just put the tubes in container and took them to the shoot site. Got to find a different container in the end because I do not want the light of day on the tubes for an extended time.

BH_Tubes.jpg

Ballistics for the bullet...

Lehigh_452x240_CF-_HP.jpg

Last edited: