Bad experience with 777 pellets

So I am a BH209 guy but my dad is coming out hunting and he uses the pellets. I bought a box so he can use them when he flys out here. I bought a Traditions Pursuit to mount a scope to for here in Utah so figured I would use them until there gone. Went to the range and first shot was good. Second ok, then I wasn't getting any consistency. Cleaned it after a few more because it was getting really hard to load. Next 2 shots in the same hole then when loading the 3rd shot I hit bottom but gave it a little more and it broke loose and seated another couple inches lower. I realized I wasn't seating my sabots low enough after a couple shots due to the build up from the 777. I should have marked my rod I know but why so much build up? Do I have to clean it after 2 or 3 shots every time with these pellets? Do you guys using them have this issue?

So I am a BH209 guy but my dad is coming out hunting and he uses the pellets. I bought a box so he can use them when he flys out here. I bought a Traditions Pursuit to mount a scope to for here in Utah so figured I would use them until there gone. Went to the range and first shot was good. Second ok, then I wasn't getting any consistency. Cleaned it after a few more because it was getting really hard to load. Next 2 shots in the same hole then when loading the 3rd shot I hit bottom but gave it a little more and it broke loose and seated another couple inches lower. I realized I wasn't seating my sabots low enough after a couple shots due to the build up from the 777. I should have marked my rod I know but why so much build up? Do I have to clean it after 2 or 3 shots every time with these pellets? Do you guys using them have this issue?

Shooting T7 or T7 pellets with a 209 primer - make sure the are no petroleum products of Teflon in the bore. Only use synthetic oils. As bad as you are building the 'Crud Ring' you are going to need to patch almost every shot until the you burn all the oils out of the bore. Make some moist Windex patches to use for swabbing or while hunting use a spit patch

WinPatch.jpg

Personally I would strip clean that bore with some brake cleaner to get as much oils out of the bore as you can. Then replace the factory old oils with a synthetic like Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner.

Also use the coolest 209 primer you can like a T7 primer or a W209... the hotter the primer the greater chance of the formation of a crud ring.

Hope some of this helps... but pellets are really a significant cause of the crud ring... but loose will form the same ring if things are not right.

muddydogs

WKR
I would site the rifle in with BH209 and hand my Dad a few TC speedloaders all set up with the right charge of BH 209 when he flys out to hunt.

OP
MuleyFever
Sabotloader, thanks for the info. If I give it another shot I will switch to a non magnum primer and strip the bore.

Sabotloader, thanks for the info. If I give it another shot I will switch to a non magnum primer and strip the bore.

I think that might help you a bunch... but for your range session prepare a small batch of blue Windex patches to help clear the bore after the shot.