How many extra loads to take?

fishslap

WKR
I'm finishing up last minute details getting ready for muzzleloader elk season and have one last decision. How many loads (powder/patch/ball/cap) would you take in? I'm shooting a lyman GPR 54 cal, patched round balls. I'll be camping about 5-6 miles in. Not too concerned with a little extra weight but prefer not to take more than reasonable. I have a couple of extra speed loaders with 7 round balls each for a total of 14. Loading the powder into separate speed loaders/baggies. 14 + one in the pipe seems like a little more than needed. Just looking for opinions. Thanks. I'll do a full report after the hunt.

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
I'm backpacking in about 5 miles, then about 2-3 miles more in two different drainages from there. Going to take 8-10 speedloaders and tools for any problems I might have, weight is not considered with that. Asked about this too on another thread and an elk guide replied he only took 5. He also uses silicone to seal up both ends of speedloaders. It might be overkill, but willing to pack that extra weight to minimize having to go back to trailhead for a refit.

muddydogs

WKR
I carry 3 TC 4 in 1 speed loaders on my pack belt for quick access follow up shots then another 6 speed loaders in 2 different zip lock bags in my pack. The thinking is if I get wet or happen to fall in the water hopefully I still have some dry loads in my pack. As for caps or primers, I carry primers, I carry my primers in a red rubber deal that holds 4 each and spread 2 of these between my pants pocket and shirt chest pocket then have another dozen or so stashed in my pack in a zip lock bag for protection. If I'm hunting way back in I tend to carry a few more loads of just powder as I can always push the bullet out of my barrel and reuse it plus a couple charges of powder sure help get a fire going if the need arises.
These vials work great for pre-measured or weighted powder charges, I can get 120 grains in the 5 ml vial and the 10 ml vial holds around 20 primers. 25 Blackhorn209 Black Powder Compatible-Charge Tubes Muzzleloader Vial Lane's | eBay

OP
F

fishslap

WKR
Thanks guys. I'll probably take 10 round balls split between two speed loaders then another 10 speed loaders of powder. I have some really small baggies from the craft store that I'll use for lubed patches and caps. 16 patches split between two bags and 20 caps split in two bags. I also have the traditional brass capper loaded up. I'm taking the extra caps since they're easy to drop in a hurry (and a few extra patches). I'll split everything between two ziplock bags with one load in my vest pocket.

I have a small kit made of ramrod cleaning attachments, a few dry patches, cleaning patches, piece of gun cloth, and gun oiled patch (outside of barrel only, bore gets mink oil). Throwing in my nipple wrench and extra nipple. Sounds like a lot but the kit is a little bigger than a deck of cards. Thanks again for the suggestions. This is my last gear to put in the pack tomorrow before heading out.