Thor bullets, CVA Optima, Williams Peep

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Had a little mini saga getting my muzzy set up (just due to limited range opportunities) but good to go now, had to do with the whole issue of Williams selling a peep sight that does not match the CVA front sight at all which is discussed online so I wasn't caught off guard. Still annoying.

Thor bullets: For starters great company, some months back I called in an order for some Thor bullets. Talked over which to go with and since CO is open sights it was suggested just to run the 300s. I was prepared with my credit card but to my surprise they just ship them out on the honor system and you send a check back with the invoice. "If you can't trust hunters who can you trust" was what I was told. Also very pleased with the accuracy, see below.

CVA Optima stainless: a nice and affordable upgrade over an old inline I had, really enjoy the new style breech plugs. I set it up for buckhorn 209. Trigger seems fine. With buckhorn and the screw out breach plug cleaning this after shooting is painless.

Williams Peep: Rather annoying they sell a peep that matches the barrel contour but is WAY low. Once I modified my front sight though the final result is pleasing.

The stock front sight is too high for the Williams peep and also the fiber optic covers much more of the target than I'd prefer (like 8" at 100 or so).

Range session 1 was figuring out how low the stock combo was and see how I liked the front fiber optic. I quickly determined I didn't like the front optic and it was too tall so I grabbed my file and started reworking the aluminum front sight shortening it and then bringing it back to a point.

Range session 2, I was still to low even when adding a credit card shim under the rear peep, I had a better idea on how much I needed to take off though based on some drop measurements. So back to the file and I took off more height and then worked the front back to a point again.

Range session 3, I didn't quite take off enough w/o the shim but adding the shim back in solved it (for now), no time to knock it down a bit more which I will eventually do. I made adjustments to the irons in range session 3 and the bullets were impacting rather consistent with the changes I thought I was making giving me the impression it seemed to be grouping rather tightly (IE when making elevation changes the impacts versus the marks on the rail were consistent movements while horizontal impact which wasn't adjusted held true and vice versa when I adjusted the windage). I got the sights worked and hit 2" high at 100 which seemed a decent position. I shot a second round without adjustment and hit 1" high, 1" right, I didn't bother shooting a 3rd round for a 3 shot group. Earlier impressions seemed like it was shooting pretty tight and responsive to changes and 2 shots within 1" of each other (averaging 1.5" high at 100yd) with open sights seemed quite adequate for me and the distance. Longer range grouping will be interesting another day/time but I didn't have access to go past 100 and my hunt was a few days off. Nothing like pushing it. ;)

300gr thor, 100gr buckhorn, cci 209s

If I get a chance to report how they perform on an antelope this week I'll report back (not that I have any doubt about 300gr 50cal bullet crumpling an antelope... :p ).

Last edited:
OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I didn't respect the wind drift different on these vs. rifle but luckily the drift pushed it forward on the antelope. I can report the neck is no match for a 300gr Thor... and I will respect wind much more muzzleloading!

That's it for 2017 muzzy for me but I will practice with this more as I will likely do another muzzy hunt 2018.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I moved areas mid morning, spotted a few under the circled tree. I went around to the back of the ridge and then poked over the top with them right below at just under 100yd. Small buck and a doe in the shadows. I took a shot and missed, I assumed the shadows but after the fact it was likely the wind. Backed up a few feet and reloaded on my back, doe was standing and dropped on shot two. The neck hit and wind once I got down where they were makes me think drift was the main issue as I was shooting prone off the edge.

QW6Qjx9l.jpg

MiU8z6wl.jpg