Quick Red Plastic Jacket question

jm1607

WKR
Have to make a decision on it today for my Ultra-lite..

Is the breech on an ultra-lite water tight (not water proof but safe from rain) when using a rpj compared to bare primer? That seems like the biggest reason to get one to me if it's true because I sometimes hunt in pretty rough conditions..

Is rpj a still good choice when using bh209?

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Well screw it, I ordered it with rpj. I spoke with Knight on the phone and they said the #1 reason for the rpj is to keep water out of the breech, which is what I really wanted.. I guess if there's a little more blow-back and it gets dirty quicker I'll just live with it! Worth the trade off for me

Have to make a decision on it today for my Ultra-lite..

Is the breech on an ultra-lite water tight (not water proof but safe from rain) when using a rpj compared to bare primer? That seems like the biggest reason to get one to me if it's true because I sometimes hunt in pretty rough conditions..

Is rpj a still good choice when using bh209?

Shoot! I just now saw this post... The FPJ will make the breech water tight but perhaps is not the best option with BH209. The red FPJ's do stretch during ignition and because of that allow blow back gases to escape into the breech area. Because of this the breech will get dirty, naturally... But the other problem is that BH is really a smokeless progressive burning powder. It requires pressure to continue burning or to achieve a complete burn. Loosing pressure out the BP can sometimes be a problem.

Since you are going with the FPJ breech I would suggest you use mag primers to increase the heat and pressure of ignition.

If you do experience any problems you can always switch to a NFPJ system - which also can make the breech water proof as well as contain the back pressure.

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Well, I may be able to still change my order..

What is the NFPJ, is that the bare 209 primer? Is it still water tight? That's the only reason at all I want the fpj.. I just want to tape the end of my barrel and know I'm safe..

dotman

WKR
Stick with the rfpj, I have them and the bare primer for my ultralight. I only use BH209 and the rfpj can easily be washed and used multiple times before they develop a loose seating issue. Blow back is minimal with them, I think some just need things to complain about and that was all they could find or they are just used to bare primer so nothing else is as good.

Also with bh209 I only recommend mag primers as does the manufacture of the powder no matter if its bare or not.

NFPJ is Non plastic jacket or the bare primer, you can do like I did and buy the NFPJ kit but you'll need to send it off to a guy in SD to get it updated with replaceable inners as this has been an issue for others. Forget who it is I sent mine to or the exact reason I did but I haven't used it as I only use the rfpj and have shoot 100's of rounds using BH209 without issue.

Also BH209 burns much cleaner then a traditional black powder so the blowback isn't as big of an issue in building up like it is with a product like triple7. I can easily shoot 30+ rounds without swabbing or cleaning my ultralight.

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Stick with the rfpj, I have them and the bare primer for my ultralight. I only use BH209 and the rfpj can easily be washed and used multiple times before they develop a loose seating issue. Blow back is minimal with them, I think some just need things to complain about and that was all they could find or they are just used to bare primer so nothing else is as good.

Also with bh209 I only recommend mag primers as does the manufacture of the powder no matter if its bare or not.

Well crap, right before you posted I called and changed over to a bare primer lol. I wanted to hurry and do it before they shipped it and I was SOL, although looking on Knight's website breech plugs are way cheaper than I thought..

I just hope it's fairly water tight, that's my only real concern.. My worst fear is to go through a light rainstorm then have the powder get wet

dotman

WKR
Well crap, right before you posted I called and changed over to a bare primer lol. I wanted to hurry and do it before they shipped it and I was SOL, although looking on Knight's website breech plugs are way cheaper than I thought..

I just hope it's fairly water tight, that's my only real concern.. My worst fear is to go through a light rainstorm then have the powder get wet

I haven't looked recently but in the past they don't list the one needed for the ultralight, it'll be about $100.

I've been in an all out downpour and tape my barrel off, haven't had an issue using the rfpj, it keeps a water tight seal.

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
What about the bare primer though, does it let water in?

That was my whole worry in the 1st place

OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Yes it will, metal on metal doesn't seal out water.

Well.. I can't really call and change again.. I guess I'll just live with my current decision lol

I guess I can just pay the $100 or so and get the fpj breech in the future if I want as well..

I wonder if I can just put some electrical tape over the window in the bolt?

CoHiCntry

WKR
I don't think you'll have any issues with the bare primer. I personally would not wanna have to mess with the plastic jackets unless I absolutely had to. Just one more thing in the mix. I've been using bare primer here in Colorado the last couple years and have had no problems. And yes, it's been rainy some day's... It alway's goes boom!

What about the bare primer though, does it let water in?

That was my whole worry in the 1st place

No it can be made water proof by shimming if it is not water proof from the factory... Winchester W209 primers normally for the NFPJ plug the best.

When you get your rifle let me know and I will send you some pics to show you the alternative...

Do not purchase anything from Knight for the conversion at this point. I think if you are lucky you will be able to use your FPJ bolt without changing to the NFPJ bolt.

mike

dotman

WKR
No it can be made water proof by shimming if it is not water proof from the factory... Winchester W209 primers normally for the NFPJ plug the best.

When you get your rifle let me know and I will send you some pics to show you the alternative...

Do not purchase anything from Knight for the conversion at this point. I think if you are lucky you will be able to use your FPJ bolt without changing to the NFPJ bolt.

mike

Think he went NFPJ so he'll have that bolt. The bolts are pretty different, not sure how you could get one to work with both setups.

Think he went NFPJ so he'll have that bolt. The bolts are pretty different, not sure how you could get one to work with both setups.

Tim, you are somewhat correct it can be done but he will need a primer adapter and a little work to the factory NFPJ breech plug to make it work, but could still be cheaper than buying the complete conversion from Knight...

This is an Ultra-Lite in a DISC stock with the FPJ bolt and primer adapter...

IMG_1227.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg