TRESO - AMPCO #11 Nipples - correcting my error

Knight Red Hot Nipples - Correct cap Fit - go to end of thread

For the past month I have recommended the TRESO nipple in a #11 configuration...

Recently I found a source for the TRESO AMPCO nipple - this is a get nipple EXCEPT for one thing. The 'flash hole' is drilled to .028/29 which is great for the ignition of real BP or the Pyros - but I use T7 which takes more heat to ignite in really cold weather. To cure this problem I order these nipples from Buffalo Arms in Ponderay, ID. When I get the nipples I then drill the flash hole out to .031 - That works perfect even sub-zero weather. Here is a link

1/4x28 Treso AMPCO (T/C Nipple) for No. 11 Caps - Buffalo Arms

The nipple in the center is the 1/4x28 Nipple

11-50-01closeup1-1.jpg

This is proving to be incorrect. I just received 3 new ones and tried them for fit. The nipple stack is to small to get a seal with a #11 cap.

So this point I am back to the RST-S - stainless steel! Probably another reason Track of the Wolf stopped carrying them.

The nipple works well for ignition - but not seal....

Last edited:
OP
sabotloader
Further information...

Well Darn! After all of this... I made a phone call to Knight

The new Knight Red Hot nipples #M900013 have been changed to give a positive seal on #11 caps - including the RWS 1075+. I suggested this several years ago when I first started using AMPCO's - even sent them a demonstration. Well apparently or maybe something positive may have happened. I ordered 4 of them when they get here I will test and post...

OP
sabotloader
For any of that still might be following this topic... Another test nipple arrived today.

It is another TRESO but it is for the Colt Walker Pistol

It measures the same length as the TC TRESO .637

TRESO_Colt_Walker.jpg

The RWS 1075+ does fit a little more snug like what I am looking for but in my mind not enough to serve the purpose...

More #11's arriving later....

In addition 54bore suggested trying a MSM Spitfire

Sabotloader, You might give the MSM Spitfire nipples a try if overall length is what you are looking for? They are the longest nipple i have ever seen, (I wish i had measured it) I found 1 for my Lyman Great Plains Hunter rifle, that nipple was long enough that my rifle would not go to half cock. I target shot the nipple and i wasn't impressed with durability, I started a thread about them on Castboolits way back and most folks swore by them being tough, maybe i got a bad one? My absolute favorite nipple is the Treso Ampco nipples from Buffalo Arms, they are TOUGH and hold up extremely well

54 - I just called October Country in Hayden, ID - talked to the people and I have ordered one for testing purposes. I have never had one of these that I know of...

Spitfire_11.jpg

MSM Spitfire Nipple #11 - October Country

Thanks - I will let you all know

OP
sabotloader
Yesterday I ordered another test nipple from October Country Muzzeloading here in Idaho...

Welcome

Spitfire_11.jpg

This hardened Stainless Steel nipple was suggested by another forum member 54bore on another site.

Today the nipple arrived - I got to say I open the package not expecting it to work - BUT!!! It is an excellent fit!

MSM_11_Nipple.jpg

The cap is tight and will be water proof

The nipple is longer than a stock Knight measuring .678 - which is long as compared to a stock Knight nipple

Flash Hole - the hole is small .028/29 and I will need to drill it out to .031

Again the down side is to get the nipple off the post you will need to shoot it off or peel it off with the edge of a knife....

The next step is to install it in DISC and see if the hammer/firing pin can hit the cap hard enough to drive it to ignition...

Still have some new Knight Red Hots coming for evaluation...

I just feel good finding one that works the way I prefer - thanks 52!

Last edited:
OP
sabotloader
Knight Red Hot Nipples - Correct cap Fit

This afternoon the new Knight Red Hot #11 nipples arrived in the mail today.

My curiosity took over and I decided to put them to the test...

With a capper I applied the RWS 1075+ cap on the nipple. Then tried to take it off with my fingers - didn't happen

The picture(s) hopefully will explain what I was testing for.

Knight_Red_Hot_Cap_Fit.jpg

The flash hole is the correct size .031/32 - no drilling needed.

I think the search is over and the shooting/hunting can commence...

OP
sabotloader
I will add a more information that I just found out about the Red Hots... They are hardened to a ridiculously hard number - something like Doc White use to do to improve life of his nipple/breech plug combination - so they really should be a lasting product...

With this last bit of information - I think I am even more satisfied with the new Red Hots... Now lets just hope Knight doesn't change contractors again... no wait!!! if I ordered enough of them now I would have to worry about it!