First Blackpowder kill and first mule deer

bbell

WKR
Just got back from a quick hunt. I burned 9 preference points this year thinking I had more time to hunt. Due to a trip that got moved I ended up with only 2.5 days to hunt. I made the best of it and ended up taking this doe the last morning. Nothing to exiting cause spotted them off the road. I got out and got off the forest service road and tried to get into position. Missed my first shot when I used a sapling as a rest. Bad idea, I think I would have been steadier off hand. They stayed put so I reloaded and dropped to a stump. That shot took her right on the shoulder and passed through the offside rib cage. She walked about 10yds and fell over kicking. I ended putting another one in her cause she wasn’t quite finished yet. Something I learned was that the .54 is not a good finisher for shooting them in the head. ??? Overall we saw more than 50 deer and I put a stalk on a buck that was around 26” but he pinned us down 130yds out with only his face showing. It was a fun hunt! I used a Lyman GPR .54. 90gr of Swiss FFFg with a mink oil patch and a .530 ball. Also added the pic of the car because everyone thinks Subaru drivers are hippies ;) Hope the photos work. Imgur from the phone is hard for me. Thanks for listening.
Brandon

https://i.imgur.com/mBYqZzw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/39WzR9U.jpg

Thanks for the post glad you were able to fill your tag on a shortened hunt...

That picture with the deer stuff in the subby is awesome!!!

I reposted your pictures to save folks needed to dial them up.. hope you do not mind

mBYqZzw.jpg

39WzR9U.jpg

OP
B

bbell

WKR
Thanks for doing that sabotloader. I was using my phone to post and couldnt quite figure it out.

Good work. It's always crazy how sometimes they bolt away with just a sniff of you or a small twig breaking.. but other times you have time to take a second shot, especially with a black powder!