Knight UL and front sight help

dirtdarte

FNG
I just purchased a Knight Ultra lite.... I found Midway's sale too tempting to resist. Anyway, I ordered the western version with the Williams Firesights. I plan to swap those sights out and do what Robbie Denning did with his rifle and install a XS peep and maybe a Lyman or Lee Shaver globe on the front.
My question is to those who have the stock Firesights on their Ultralite... Can the front sight blade be tapped or drifted out leaving the sight ramp or do I need to figure out what sight ramp is needed and get a replacement. A followup question is any suggestions as to what site ramp to get? I am assuming that the stock front site is fixed and cant be drifted out... but I may be wrong about this... wouldn't be the first time.
The XS peep I ordered is the tall weaver mount so I'm looking for a front sight ramp that will get me in the ballpark as far as height goes to accommodate a common height globe sight. I hope all this makes sense. I appreciate any feedback or advise you might have.

I just purchased a Knight Ultra lite.... I found Midway's sale too tempting to resist. Anyway, I ordered the western version with the Williams Firesights. I plan to swap those sights out and do what Robbie Denning did with his rifle and install a XS peep and maybe a Lyman or Lee Shaver globe on the front.
My question is to those who have the stock Firesights on their Ultralite... Can the front sight blade be tapped or drifted out leaving the sight ramp or do I need to figure out what sight ramp is needed and get a replacement. A followup question is any suggestions as to what site ramp to get? I am assuming that the stock front site is fixed and cant be drifted out... but I may be wrong about this... wouldn't be the first time.
The XS peep I ordered is the tall weaver mount so I'm looking for a front sight ramp that will get me in the ballpark as far as height goes to accommodate a common height globe sight. I hope all this makes sense. I appreciate any feedback or advise you might have.

Send Robby a PM - he can tell you exactly what he did...

The factory sight is not really a Williams - it is a contract sight and it is a one piece sight.

OP
D

dirtdarte

FNG
Thanks for the help sabotloader... you answered the golden question... I sent Robby a PM... meanwhile, Im off to search for sight ramps.

FURMAN

WKR
This will not answer your question but I have a Williams peep with my factory front sight and it is zeroed. I am pretty sure I am more accurate with my factory sights. I was shooting right around 1". After swapping to the peep I am probably closer to 2-3". I am going to go do some real comparison, swapping between sights as soon as I get some free time.

Hello from Montana! I'm a little late to this thread but I just found your forum last night. I've been shooting "long range" with my muzzleloader for about 10 years, everybody looks at me like I'm crazy when I tell them how and what I'm doing. When I found your forum I was amazed you guys are doing the exact same things I discovered.

The one thing I haven't seen addressed much or praised is the globe/crosshair front sight. I used a KNS Precision w/lyman dovetail ramp. With the rear peep and sabots I am shooting 4-6 iches @ 250yds.
I'm setting up another Knight right now and I'm going to dovetail the barrel to keep the sight as low as possible this time.

My primary long ranger is a TC Northwest Explorer, basically an Omega by another name. Both guns have a bullet starter in the first inch of the barrel. I tried top porting this to help reduce muzzle flip. This killed my accuracy I believe from the gases exiting the muzzle unevenly. So I ported the whole muzzle evenly like a brake and got my accuracy back! Now it kicks like it's shooting 50grs of powder instead of 140.

I want to hunt ID next year so I need to be set up to shoot lead bullets. I was hunting WA, where sabots are legal, so that 's what I shot. Do any of you guys have suggestions on accurate .50 cal. ID legal bullets for long range accuracy?

Hansoman

FNG
Hello from Montana! I'm a little late to this thread but I just found your forum last night. I've been shooting "long range" with my muzzleloader for about 10 years, everybody looks at me like I'm crazy when I tell them how and what I'm doing. When I found your forum I was amazed you guys are doing the exact same things I discovered.

The one thing I haven't seen addressed much or praised is the globe/crosshair front sight. I used a KNS Precision w/lyman dovetail ramp. With the rear peep and sabots I am shooting 4-6 iches @ 250yds.
I'm setting up another Knight right now and I'm going to dovetail the barrel to keep the sight as low as possible this time.

My primary long ranger is a TC Northwest Explorer, basically an Omega by another name. Both guns have a bullet starter in the first inch of the barrel. I tried top porting this to help reduce muzzle flip. This killed my accuracy I believe from the gases exiting the muzzle unevenly. So I ported the whole muzzle evenly like a brake and got my accuracy back! Now it kicks like it's shooting 50grs of powder instead of 140.

I want to hunt ID next year so I need to be set up to shoot lead bullets. I was hunting WA, where sabots are legal, so that 's what I shot. Do any of you guys have suggestions on accurate .50 cal. ID legal bullets for long range accuracy?
No excuse bullets

[B]longrangelead[/B], I would highly recommend the Bull Shop 400 grn LGP

Bullshop_503x400LGP.jpg

This bullet was recovered from this animal shot at 180 yards.

Nesbit-Bull.jpg

Bull-Shop-Bullets.jpg

I use these MMP Ballistic sub-bridges under the bullet to keep the powder from melting the bottom of the bullet and sealing the gas behind the bullet,

MMP-Sub-Bridge-Composit.jpg

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have tried the hood that Sabot loader uses Because of my eyes i went back to the stock green pin i see it better in low light .i do like the rear peep i took out the center and use it that way l
my last elk i harvested with my ULTRA LITE 144 yards

I have tried the hood that Sabot loader uses Because of my eyes i went back to the stock green pin i see it better in low light .i do like the rear peep i took out the center and use it that way l
my last elk i harvested with my ULTRA LITE 144 yards

Winchman - This is what you need to do - makes all the difference in the world. Take the red optic out and put a green one in!

Green-Fiber.jpg

Williams-Front-Sight.jpg

Green-Fiber.jpg

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I like the green peep .HI mike my eyes are getting better every day most of my stroke is just a old memory .walking with out cane and getting stronger haven't tried any shooting yet still a little unstable.

Take care and take the time to work back to walking and shooting.

Do you have a sitting shooting bench with rests so you can just relax and shoot?

I am fighting a really bad lower back - driving me nutz!

mike

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
YES i have a shooting bench its a super nice one but I still cant lift it. weighs to much .We are members of the Powder river sportsman club there is a awasome shooting range 15 minutes away 1000 yard range 500 yard 200 yard separate 100 yard and separate pistol range , very nice range . June 30 th have a eye test appointment after the 1st july i need to practice for my ML elk tag August 1st I DRIVE MY WIFE NUTS CAUSE SHE KNOWS HOW WEAK I WAS 8 months ago after having stroke, my therapist calls me poster boy for getting well after losing50% eyesight and pearlized left side Docotors say medical miracle blood clots in lungs legs heart brain they say covid did it to me . My faith and belief in JESUS I say after having some unexplainable things happened . The Most awsome one I had the stroke while I was out elk hunting by myself lost part of my eyesight and couldn't fig to make a call on my cell phone for help . somehow I got back to my pickup got it started and passed out a few hours later it was dark I FOUND myself driving home following the led lights in the borrow ditch, drove 25 miles home don't remember loading my muzzle ;oader or tri folding chair but they were in rig 3 different life flight trips to ST AL Bosie Idaho from Baker city OR . Thank you, Mike, i have a great family and they won't let me go alone again.