Modifying Ultra-lite

jm1607

WKR
Do you guys think glass bedding it or floating the barrel will make much of an accuracy difference? I know the stock is already aluminum bedded so I'm not sure if it would make much of a difference.. Has anyone done this?

I could do them both myself, really doesn't take much time..

Since the barrel and action are one piece, would I just float it to about where the action starts then bed it? Just use my best judgment?

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
I'm not sure it's worth it plus you have to figure out how to do it and retain the ramrod. Mine shoots 1" pretty consistently at 100 yards.

Do you guys think glass bedding it or floating the barrel will make much of an accuracy difference? I know the stock is already aluminum bedded so I'm not sure if it would make much of a difference.. Has anyone done this?

I could do them both myself, really doesn't take much time..

Since the barrel and action are one piece, would I just float it to about where the action starts then bed it? Just use my best judgment?

The barrel on a U-Lite is already floated! The two that I have are extremely accurate - I should say hunting accurate.

robie

WKR
Go shoot it first and see where you are at. I'm sub moa with mine.

I'm not sure what I could do to get much better.

Beararms

Lil-Rokslider
I have not bedded my muzzleloader but I have my other rifles that are in wooden stocks. I really do not see any difference on paper. I notice that it does not have much movement side to side after I bed it. But it makes me more confident that the rifle is "the best it can be" and that might lead me to shoot better groups.

Maybe I should have also said the Ultra-Lite is bedded in an aluminum bedding built into the Kevlar stock.

These pictures shows the bedding block built into the stock

IMG_2227.jpg

IMG_2228.jpg

I say bed it, it can't hurt! I bedded both of mine, one a TC, the other a knight in a custom stock. Start by bedding the action and recoil lug. after that is done, bed the barrel at the tip of the stock. With mine I started by only bedding the action and lug. I got horrible barrel whip and was stringing shots horizontally like crazy. After I bedded the barrel at the tip of the stock I was @ 1 inch or less @ 100 yds.

To make bedding easier and keeping the ramrod, I took an '06 case and cut it off at the shoulder and drilled out the base a little bigger than the ramrod, chamfer the inside of both ends and you're done. I did it on a lathe and turned off the head stamp. Carefully carve out the stock until the shell fits down in the ramrod channel easily.

Put a little bedding material in the channel and insert the shell, I put the big end forward. Then more bedding for the barrel. After you install the barrel, insert the ramrod through the shell to line it up. Give it a wiggle so it has clearance and you're done! The hardest part is getting the extra that squeezes out tidied up around the ramrod so it's not glued in to bad. As long as you have lots of release agent on it, it will come out! Let it sit for 24 hrs and pull it apart and clean it up.

I use Pro Bed 2000, It comes with a paste release agent. It works the best of any bedding and release agent I have used so far. Use the release agent liberally on anything and everything that might get bedding compound on!! Brake cleaner takes the release agent right off. When bedding the lug, plug the holes with clay and set it without the ramrod. I tape the edges of my stock at the barrel/action channel to make cleanup easier also.

gsp

FNG
I'm thinking of filling the ram rod channel on mine. I carry a 3 piece rod in my pack.

I'll probably just fill the first 2" in case I want to reinstall later.