When to load during a hunt

VANDAL

WKR
Hi all-

I'm not real experienced in muzzy hunting so I would like some input on when you would recommend loading a muzzleloader for a hunt?

The hunt is late so the weather will be cold and potentially snowy. Also it is for mule deer and I will mainly be doing a lot of long distance glassing looking for a shooter. And if I do spot one there will likely be a lengthy stalk. The chances I will actually see a shooter is pretty low.

So would you recommend I load my gun (no cap) in the tent in the morning where the gun is clean, dry and under a controlled environment or wait as long as possible until I do see a shooter and begin the final approach to within shooting range.

Just don't want to have any issues with the gun going off when I need it to.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all-

I'm not real experienced in muzzy hunting so I would like some input on when you would recommend loading a muzzleloader for a hunt?

The hunt is late so the weather will be cold and potentially snowy. Also it is for mule deer and I will mainly be doing a lot of long distance glassing looking for a shooter. And if I do spot one there will likely be a lengthy stalk. The chances I will actually see a shooter is pretty low.

So would you recommend I load my gun (no cap) in the tent in the morning where the gun is clean, dry and under a controlled environment or wait as long as possible until I do see a shooter and begin the final approach to within shooting range.

Just don't want to have any issues with the gun going off when I need it to.

Thanks

Not much experience with an inline, but as long as the gun stays in a cold environment I have successfully left the main charge and projectile in a Flintlock for weeks at a time, with no hang or misfires. Personally, there is no way i would consider unloading, cleaning and reloading a gun multiple times in the field. If you don't see water around the nipple, and no condensation outside the barrel you'll be just fine. Obviously, you stil need to replace the caps at regular intervals.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
V

VANDAL

WKR
Thanks Tim!

I should have clarified it is in Idaho so open breach, loose powder.

blkqi

WKR
I load at home and it stays loaded until fired or the end of the trip or season.

Don't forget it's loaded if transporting or storing it that way. A habit of flagging the rifle with ribbon or similar is prudent for forgetful hunters.

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
Like mentioned above, I load the night before and pop my cap in once I start hunting that day. If moisture is present, I like to put a small water balloon over the muzzle, or use some black electrical tape.

wyo_gasman

Lil-Rokslider
I load it at home, stop on the way and shoot it, reload it and leave it that way until I kill or I the hunt is over.

Curvebow

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot an inline muzzleloader. I too load at at home or under controlled conditions. I tape the muzzle too. If I spend a day in very wet conditions, I either shoot it at the end of the day or else change out the powder & bullet and dry everything pout before loading again the next morning. Of course, with an inline, removing the breech plug is fairly easy. I use rolled up paper to make a funnel so that old powder does not get stuck in the greased threads. I use loose powder, Blackhorn 209 which is not supposed to absorb water.

In the past I had a hangfire using Triple 7 pellets when the gun went pop/pause/bang. This year I had a different muzzleloader confuse me when it went click/pause/bang (definitely not a primer or powder issue). That cost me a big whitetail buck....

So, when it comes to potentially damp powder, its better to change out than to suffer the consequences.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
We lost a chance at a large bull during our muzzy season due to damp 777 pellets . Sometimes its a pain to change out and clean, but it worth a little time and effort if it costs you a possible one time chance . I personally us loose 777 , a percussion cap , tape or cover the barrel and keep it as dry as possible and change out if worried . Load at home or camp and cap and cover before hunting.

OP
V

VANDAL

WKR
Thanks for the input!

I'm on the hunt right now with a loaded barrel and a used cap in place. Rain in the forecast so I packed around my soft gun case today for insurance. Hopefully I'll get the opportunity to torch one off at a big buck!