CVA Optima Ingnition problems, Help

peddler

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t answer that, never had to use caps. I suspect it wouldnt work well with caps. Google Western Powder, I’m sure they could answer your question.

Isn't that powder hard to ignite and designed for 209 primers?
We are not allowed to use 209 primers but I could use the powder it it would ignite well with a cap?

Oregon is one of the three Western States that require cap ignition - soon to be two States as Washington is changing their regulations - so no you can not use BH without taking some extra steps.

The other negative is with a newer CVA you have to use a Musket cap for ignition - there is not an option for a #11 Mag cap.

Even then if the rifle is setup with a Western system ( the breech plug and the firing pin changed it should ignite any of the subs, other than BH, without a problem.

Check in with CVA they can help you with that problem... or maybe call the guys at Muzzleloader.com - they very succumb about CVA rifles.

A question I should have asked first - Is the cap going off each time you pull the trigger but no ignition? 2. Do you pop a couple of caps before you load that first load. Hold the muzzle near the ground pop a cap an see if the gas pressure creates some movement of small particle on the ground.

OP
BRTreedogs
Sabotloader,
Thanks for the replie not sure how I missed it.
No I was not popping a cap before loading but am now.
Yes the cap was going off but no ignition. Sometimes 3 caps before ignition, clean dry rifle powder opened at the range.
I am pretty frustrated with the cva. Even if I get the ignition probs fixed it shot the Thor bullets like crap and I switched back to the great plains but they start extremely hard and I deform the tips.
Any recommendation on me legal conical?
No sabot,base, or tip allowed.

Interesting on wa rule change, will this be for 2018? I do hunt muzzy up there.

I plan on buying another muzzy and am gonna watch Robbie thread on the Cooper, and also interested in a knight.
I'm gonna be burning 10,11 points in the next couple years so I want a dialed system.
I just don't think I can trust the cva but I would like to get it half done up at least so I can use it for a fallow up shot if need be.

Sabotloader,
Thanks for the replie not sure how I missed it.
No I was not popping a cap before loading but am now.
Yes the cap was going off but no ignition. Sometimes 3 caps before ignition, clean dry rifle powder opened at the range.
I am pretty frustrated with the cva. Even if I get the ignition probs fixed it shot the Thor bullets like crap and I switched back to the great plains but they start extremely hard and I deform the tips.
Any recommendation on me legal conical?
No sabot,base, or tip allowed.

Take a look at Bull Shop lead conicals for now - possibly later in the summer there might be a better copper offering on the market. You might PM ole hunter on this site - he is an Oregon hunter (Baker City) - he can share some information with you about Thors and what he is using now.

Interesting on wa rule change, will this be for 2018? I do hunt muzzy up there.

It could be - it should be voted on real shortly...

I plan on buying another muzzy and am gonna watch Robbie thread on the Cooper, and also interested in a knight.
I'm gonna be burning 10,11 points in the next couple years so I want a dialed system.
I just don't think I can trust the cva but I would like to get it half done up at least so I can use it for a fallow up shot if need be.

Of course I would recommend a Knight but I also know the Cooper is a quality rifle.

Brad873

FNG
So, I realize this is an old thread, but i'm hoping to get a little insight. I have CVA Optima that I bought new this past spring. I converted it to the NW model (purchased NW breech plug and firing pin kit from muzzle loaders.com). The problem I'm having is if I fire a musket cap prior to loading the gun, it plugs up the firing hole in the breech plug. If I just load my gun after cleaning, it seems to fine just fine. Any ideas? I am using CCI musket caps.

Also, during season, what do you guys do with your loaded guns? do you shoot them to unload them each day and then clean them? Leave the charge but remove the cap if its only going to sit for a few days? I am new to muzzle loaders so I'm curious what people do. I leave my gun either in my unheated shop or even behind the seat of my pick up during season to avoid the heating/sweating issues.

Thanks for any advice!

OP
BRTreedogs
Switch to the RWS 1081 musket caps, sportsman's usually has them, my brother has lots of problems with the cci.

Does it breach plug have a nipple that treads in?
If not u have the old style breach plug, time to update.

Brad873

FNG
Switch to the RWS 1081 musket caps, sportsman's usually has them, my brother has lots of problems with the cci.

Does it breach plug have a nipple that treads in?
If not u have the old style breach plug, time to update.

I have the BP with the removable nipple. I'll look for the RWS caps and see if that helps. Thanks!

OP
BRTreedogs
As far as what to do with your rifle,
There is already a whole big confusing thread of various opinions for you to read lol.