Scope Power

jm1607

WKR
Basically I have a really nice scope (Razor LH 2-10x40) and I'm trying to decide if I'm going to mount it or sell it and get the same in 1.5-8x32. Eye relief is the same.. Only a couple oz difference in weight..

10x just seems strong for a muzzleloader? My last scope was 9x and it seemed fine though.. I do plan on shooting it at fairly long ranges (250 yards or so).. Just wonder if 1.5-8x32 would be a better fit??

Last edited:

Beararms

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure that the 1.5-8 has long enough scope tubes for proper eye relief if you do not have a rail setup. I was going to put a 2.5-8x36 VX3i on my ultralight, but with the warne bases the front scope tube was not long enough to mount the scope back far enough.

muddydogs

WKR
Why bother if there about the same weight and eye relief Not like a whole 2x is that big a difference on the top end and .5x is nothing on the bottom end. I would think the 40mm objective would be worth having over a 32mm objective. If 10x seems to strong for a muzzy well then don't turn the power past 8x, problem solved.

ENCORE

WKR
As another has already mentioned, the 40mm IMO is better, but 10x seems strong for a muzz?
My muzz sports a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 and works just great.
Remember you can't hit what you can't see, especially at 250yds. I'd keep what you have, just my 2¢

muddydogs

WKR
As another has already mentioned, the 40mm IMO is better, but 10x seems strong for a muzz?
My muzz sports a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 and works just great.
Remember you can't hit what you can't see, especially at 250yds. I'd keep what you have, just my 2¢

Now OP if you were talking a scope this size they ya sure pick up something smaller. Really a 22x scope on a muzzy, a little over kill but if one needs 22x to see an animal at 250 they more power to them.

ENCORE

WKR
I routinely shoot to 400 and 500yds, accurately, and the 22x comes in handy. The 5.5x is 1.5x over the "old standard" 4x. I don't shoot "at" something, ever. I shoot to a specific spot, always. You can't hit what you can't see.

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Ok,

So I went out and played with the magnifications (8x and 10x) at 150 yards and 200 yards and truthfully I can't tell toooo much of a difference. If anything I think I prefer the 10x, especially if I'm going to chase smaller game like Coues deer or Pronghorn and especially at 200+ yards.

I guess the only thing I'm worried about is that I'll have to max it out to use the hash marks on the BDC which will probably start around 150ish (just a guess). 10x at 150ish doesn't leave much FOV..

I'm also a little worried about it being a little "shaky" if having to take a 150+ yard shot if I don't have time to get prone and setup..

Still a little on the fence..