Chronographing sabots

Has anyone chronographed their sabot loads? I am wondering if you even can as the sabot will separate from the bullet after exiting the barrel. Wouldn't the chronograph get confused or will it just measure the first projectile through it?

rayporter

WKR
welllllll

some years ago i bought some sabots for a .30 cal magnum that held a .22 bullet. the quest was for 5,000 fps. any how the first shot had the sabot hit the light shield above the chrono. I don't shoot sabots over that chrono anymore. some day I well see if the labradar will pick up saboted bullets.

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
Advice I got on a muzzleloader forum was to set the chronograph up at 25 yards and use a ballistic program to determine muzzle velocity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MuleyFever
Can you give me an example on using a ballistics program for this? I haven't seen one online that allows me to enter a velocity at a given range to calculate MV.

Last edited:
Has anyone chronographed their sabot loads? I am wondering if you even can as the sabot will separate from the bullet after exiting the barrel. Wouldn't the chronograph get confused or will it just measure the first projectile through it?

I shoot them through a chrono all the time. I set the chrono up fairly close to the muzzle usually 10-12 ft. On accession I do get the sabot speed but that is not the norm.

This picture shows a target set at 25 yards and the chrono just off the muzzle of the rifle

2-17-12_Shoot1.jpg

Try this for a calculator

Ballistic Calculators - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc