Front sight mounting

Got a new front ramp and sight. The fit is a bit lose. Should I use loctite on it or what have you used?

Got a new front ramp and sight. The fit is a bit lose. Should I use loctite on it or what have you used?

Which part is loose?

I always use Loctite on the ramp and screws...

If it is loose when putting the sight into the dove tail that is another problem - but I think it would be an easy fix...

Yes the dove tail slides fairly easily.

OK in that case.... you can use a punch on the leading edge of both dovetail tails creating a downward peen. This forcing the dove tail down will tighten the grip on the sight.

Peen_DT.jpg

I tried to get a visual picture of what I am talking about. I use a small flat tipped punch. Place it on the leading edge of the dove tail and strike it with a mallet to force the DT downward. Do both DT's in the same manner. Normally it does not take much to get a secure grip, so tap it equally on both edges then try sliding the sight in. If it does not seem tight enough then put more peen in the DT's.

Next I would suggest that you center your rear sight then bore sight through the sights at a target. Move the front sight left/right to get it close to being sighted in Left/right with the rear sight. If you are comfortable with that and you might want extra insurance drop a tiny bit Blue Loc-Tite on the DT joints. I often use red but if you might want to move the front again or get it out red makes it more difficult.

Hope some of this might help.

OP
MuleyFever
The dove tail on the front sight I have is wider than the ramp. I thought about measuring the over hang on each side to center the sight in the ramp. Do you think that would work or are the ramps sometimes not centered on the barrel?

This is going on my Knight UL.

The dove tail on the front sight I have is wider than the ramp. I thought about measuring the over hang on each side to center the sight in the ramp. Do you think that would work or are the ramps sometimes not centered on the barrel?

This is going on my Knight UL.

Correct... I would center the front sight in the dovetail as best as you can and then bore sight it to check. If it requires a left right movement I try to do it with the front sight to get it close then final adjustment with the rear sight.

The Williams front ramp is suppose to take a N (narrow) width front sight. So if your is a W or wide your thought would apply.

And yes not always are the sights in perfect alignment.

I just hate having the rear sight moved way to one side or the other so I use the front sight to get close then the rear. BUT that is just me!