Black powder corrosion timeing

My brother and I were shooting the Kentucky long rifle dad left us when my ham handed brother broke the ramrod.
Dad always taught us to clean our black powder rifles the day we shot them but I don't have a 42 inch rod now. I do have one on the way, but am worried about waiting. How corrosive is black powder? Can I wait a few days?. Or should i buy a dowl at the hardware store tomorrow to swab it?

Last edited:
It's definitely very corrosive, but I doubt a dowel rod will be long enough or tough enough to fix your problem. Try pouring some black powder solvent down the muzzle and in through the breach end, that will help neutralize the acid. If you have access to an air compressor you may be able to blow the broken ramrod out by removing the flash hole or breech plug. With the blockage removed you can flush very hot water through the bore and significantly reduce the rate of corrosion.

If you can't clear the broken ramrod and have to wait for the new one, keep the barrel as cold as you can to slow down the reaction between the acid and the steel. Using a chest freezer would be ideal.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
even if too short the dowel should work or you can use the left over rod and a tight patch and suck hot water into the barrel. or just use a hose with very hot water to run down the barrel.
do it now. you can add soaps and there are other stuff folks add to help dissolve the fouling. after finishing just use a string like a boresnake to pull big thick patches through to dry the barrel. oil the last few. don't wait.

if you have any cleaning rod make a jag with a tight patch to suck up the water and slush it back and forth. you can even do this in the toilet.

OP
Bonedalien
Thanks guys. We were able to seat the ball and get the rod shard out and get the shot off. I just didn't have a proper cleaning rod. Acting on all your advice,I ended up with a 48 inch fiber glass driveway delineater and managed to get it cleaned right away.
Thanks again