Old Hawkins Muzzleloader for 1st Elk Hunt

JMarbs

FNG
Hey, folks! I'm heading out west this year for my first elk hunt in CO. I'll be using a muzzleloader. The muzzleloader that I use in TN for whitetail is an old Hawkins style 50cal that my dad built in the 70s. I'll be backcountry camping in some pretty steep country at about 9500ft for 4-6 days...

My question: Would I be satisfied with bringing along my old Hawkins, or should I upgrade my smoke pole?

Thanks!

CoHiCntry

WKR
Really depends on what you want to do. Nothing wrong with the old sidelock if that's what you like. (Assuming a sidelock & not a flintlock?) I don't think it would be a big disadvantage either. I hunt with both a sidelock and a modern inline depending on the hunt. I wouldn't run out and buy a new gun unless you really want one. The newer inlines are definitely lighter if that's a concern. The Hawken will kill them just as good as the inline will...

Really depends on what you want to do. Nothing wrong with the old sidelock if that's what you like. (Assuming a sidelock & not a flintlock?) I don't think it would be a big disadvantage either. I hunt with both a sidelock and a modern inline depending on the hunt. I wouldn't run out and buy a new gun unless you really want one. The newer inlines are definitely lighter if that's a concern. The Hawken will kill them just as good as the inline will...

+1 on this... the only reason I might change is if I were going to need a more modern ML more often!

In the past I shot a lot of Renegade 50's - some for round ball and a lot of full bore lead conicals. I would certainly suggest using a full bore concal of some sort. there are some good options out there... And remember it does not have to be a lead projectile anything you can shoot full bore.

Last edited:

elkduds

WKR
As long as the Hawken shoots loose powder and lead bullets accurately out to 100 yd or better, it will work as well as an inline. In CO, no pellets, open sights only, no sabots. A solid point lead bullet will penetrate better than a ball on elk. Good luck.