Best Sabots for .451s in Ultra-lite

jm1607

WKR
Was wondering what you guys think would be a good fit.. Planning on trying some Parker BEs in 300gr with 110gr bh209.. Was thinking about getting a pack of black and red crushed ribs and see what fits best.. Any other recommendations?

Was wondering what you guys think would be a good fit.. Planning on trying some Parker BEs in 300gr with 110gr bh209.. Was thinking about getting a pack of black and red crushed ribs and see what fits best.. Any other recommendations?

I use the MMP HPH-24's in my Ultra-Lites... Since you are shooting .451 instead of .452's the CRibs might be loose??? And then again they might work fine!

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Thanks Mike.

I did some more research and I think you're exactly right.. I have a feeling the black CRs will be too loose.. I think I'm going to buy some HPH-24's like you suggest as well as some HPH-12's and see which ones fit better then go from there..

Thanks Mike.

I did some more research and I think you're exactly right.. I have a feeling the black CRs will be too loose.. I think I'm going to buy some HPH-24's like you suggest as well as some HPH-12's and see which ones fit better then go from there..

I am guessing but I think the 12's will be really snug! Whoops never mind you are shooting a true 451 - they might be OK..

ChrisA

WKR
My friend and I really like the Parker BE in our smokeless landriders. Our velocity is a bit more than you'll make with BH209 but the bullet is constructed light enough that it should work very well at BH velocities. All but one of our whitetails have been bang-flop. I got a backof lung/liver hit on a big doe and she ran 110 yards but left a blood trail a 3 year old could follow.

Oh, they produce MOA or less groups for us.

Good luck,

Chris

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
My friend and I really like the Parker BE in our smokeless landriders. Our velocity is a bit more than you'll make with BH209 but the bullet is constructed light enough that it should work very well at BH velocities. All but one of our whitetails have been bang-flop. I got a backof lung/liver hit on a big doe and she ran 110 yards but left a blood trail a 3 year old could follow.

Oh, they produce MOA or less groups for us.

Good luck,

Chris

Thanks for the quick review.. I'm on the fence between these and the new Lehigh 265 prototypes Sabotloader is posting about.. Assuming accuracy is the same out of my ultra-lite I'm not sure which to go with..

I've pretty much learned that the ultra-lite is not a "long range" gun because of the short barrel even with 120gr of BH so I don't think I'm going to be shooting much past 200 yards no matter what.. Maybe 225 or wherever my next hash ends up.. So, I'm not as concerned about bullet drop at longer ranges anymore, more about minimum expansion/fracturing velocity.. I contacted Parker a while back to try to get a velocity number from him and he kind of danced around the question, so it's hard to compare them to the Lehighs..

I'm hoping I just buy both bullets and one likes my gun and one doesn't.. Problem solved! lol

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick review.. I'm on the fence between these and the new Lehigh 265 prototypes Sabotloader is posting about.. Assuming accuracy is the same out of my ultra-lite I'm not sure which to go with..

I've pretty much learned that the ultra-lite is not a "long range" gun because of the short barrel so I don't think I'm going to be shooting much past 200 yards no matter what.. Maybe 225 or wherever my next reticle ends up.. So, I'm not as concerned about bullet drop at longer ranges, more about minimum expansion/fracturing velocity.. I contacted Parker a while back to try to get a velocity number from him and he kind of danced around the question, so it's hard to compare them to the Lehighs..

What good timing! Just for drill and a good reason to go shooting I did some testing last week. One of the bullets I shot was the .452x265gr. Lehigh. I wanted to test the CF function of the bullet.

After several years of shooting Lehigh's, the original Lehigh, the current Lehigh/Knight Bloodlines or the current offerings directly from Lehigh, I am prepared to say they are the most Terminally Ballistic bullet that I have used. It was really hard for me to give up on my life long Norton Partitions but today would not even look back.

The thing that sets the Lehigh's apart is the CF function of the bullet - I think it actually came from Germany. The CF function is probably 80% of it's ability to harvest so quickly. Yet the bullet even after shedding the petals still creates a large dose of 'hydrostatic' damage to the internal organs as it passes through and exits the body with a blood letting hole.

As important as the CF function is to the performance of the bullet, my latest interest was to determine what velocity was needed for the CF function to work. A trip out to the Pope ranch and the determination was made...

I loaded up vials of BH powder in 70, 60, 50, 40, and 30 grain (by volume) increments. Then set up a chronograph and a water target at 25 yards.

Bench_2.jpg

Pope_Ranch_Shooting.jpg

These are the bullets that I set out to test...

Lehigh_Copper.jpg

This is the target stand I built for the test. All the tests were shot using just a regular water bottle.

Water_Bottle_Testing_Station.jpg

Then the bullets were shot through the water bottle and the results monitored on the target after the shot...

With the 265 grain bullet. the first shot was with 50 grs V of powder creating 1312fps

Shot_Target_1_-265_x_50g.jpg

Then 40grs V - creating 1153fps

Shot_Target_4_-265_x_40g.jpg

Finally 30 grs V - creating 1000fps

Shot_Target_7_-_265_x_30g.jpg

From looking at the targets you can easily see the blast effect (hydrostatic) effect the water blasting through the heavy paper target and then look closely for small slits - these slits are caused by the release of the petals out and into the surrounding organs. This is the 30 grain target flattened out on the bench.

Target_4b_-_265_x_40g.jpg

See the slit type holes a 4 - 6 & 8 o'clock - those are the petals that were released. if you look around the target you can find the other 3 above the center of the target

So this bullet works down to approximately 1000fps. That number arrives from my testing and is not the official number Lehigh might use.

Here is a computed ballistic sheet for the bullet to 225 yards... Look at the computations for 225 yards - plenty of velocity left and over a 1000 lbs of energy left - great Elk Medicine

Finally
and I promise to quit. While the Ulta-Lite only has a 24" barrel, the rifle itself is capable of reaching out much farther than 225/250 yards. If I were younger and had the right equipment and with Mother Natures conditions being right - 400 yards would not be a problem. Might not work well with this bullet because velocity and energy but other bullets coming from Lehigh might well do the job.

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Awesome, thanks for all the good info! Those definitely still fracture at a very low velocity..

Ya, I think I'm going to try that exact same load (265 Lehighs/120BH) when the Lehighs are available for sale..