CVA Accura V2

If you check the BH209 site under FAQ's, you'll see that Western states: "We have experienced the best performance, consistency and accuracy with CCI 209M and Federal 209A." FAQs << Blackhorn 209
Both the CCI209M and Federal 209A are magnum primers.
Stay within the recommended charges.

Thanks for the correction. I will edit my post as not to mislead others.

peddler

Lil-Rokslider
Nope I live in Upstate NY no Elk here. I don’t think my ml would qualify out there. I have a Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-6 in Talley Mounts. It sure kills Whitetails though.

Mainly answered this post re: BH 209 & CCI magnum primers.

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot the same rifle with two triple seven magnum pellets and either the hornady 250g sst or barnes 250g tmz with a standard 209 primer. Easily shoots sub moa at 200 yards.

I am going to try the blackhorn with the CCI 209m primer (bought the 209 breech plug). If I can't shoot near the max charge weight and maintain accuracy I might stick with the pellets. Not a big deal to swab the bore after a couple of shots and the pellets are so convenient and are accurate at max velocity in my rifle.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
BH 209 converts from volumetric to weight at 70%, so 100 gr by volume is 70 grains weighed. BH209 is more energetic than Pyrodex, so 120 gr BH209 is a max load in most rifles.

I use a 290 Barnes TMZ with the standard hard to load sabot. I tried the harvester crush rib but run through a chrono they were inconsistent on velocity, indicating that I was getting a good gas seal on some and not so good on others. This showed up at longer ranges as vertical stringing. The TMZ sabots are a pain to load, but extremely consistent.

I weigh charges, and put them in sealed plastic test tubes until used.

I don't clean between shots with BH209, you want an ash ring to form if you read their literature. After a 20 shot string I can still load fine.

I use a #32 machinist drill bit turned by fingers to clean out my flash channel after each shot, and a torch tip cleaner to clean out the flash hole.

It's some kind of fun ringing a gong at 300 with a ML, though I wouldn't shoot game anywhere near that far.

YBPS

WKR
85 grains by weight of 209 and a 250 SST. 5" groups at 300 no problem.