Best load and bullet for Remington Ultimate

Jbark60

FNG
I am looking for any recommendations, I have heard mixed reviews on using Black horn 209. Thank you for your time and consideration.

ENCORE

WKR
Here's what you need to know about the Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader and BH209...…… Remington has stopped replacing breech plugs under warrantee if the rifle has been shot with BH209. http://www.rokslide.com/forums/muzzleloader/88891-remington-ultimate-bh209.html

However...…. :) All is not lost. Arrowhead Sporting Goods (ASG) has created a replacement breech plug that WILL allow the use of BH209 in the RUM and not gas cut it. I HIGHLY recommend anyone with a RUM to replace the stock breech plug with the ASG plug.
ASG LLC - Arrowhead LRMP Plug

Like the Ultimate Firearms Inc. BP Xpress (RUM's daddy), most RUM's will shoot 3-T7M pellets with a 300gr SST, using a Harvester H5045LB sabot very accurately to long range. Of course the person on the trigger must do their part.

I am looking for any recommendations, I have heard mixed reviews on using Black horn 209. Thank you for your time and consideration.

I had a Remington UM and shot blackhorn out of it and it probably lasted 25-30 shots before the breech plug was gas cut and needed to be replaced.

Prior to that, I was shooting 84 grains by weight (120 grains by volume) with a Barnes 290 grain TEZ bullet (blue tip) and a black Harvester Crush Rib Sabot, and at 100 yards, 3 holes would be touching each other.

ENCORE

WKR
If you still have the RUM, get the new breech plug installed from Arrowhead and you can shoot all the BH209 you want. No more gas cut breech plugs. Then start sending them out to 300 and 400yds ;)

OP
J

Jbark60

FNG
If you still have the RUM, get the new breech plug installed from Arrowhead and you can shoot all the BH209 you want. No more gas cut breech plugs. Then start sending them out to 300 and 400yds ;)

Just curious why not use the manufacturer's recommendation?

ENCORE

WKR
Just curious why not use the manufacturer's recommendation?

Nothing wrong with using the manufacturer's recommendations, but that does NOT include using BH209. Remington will not warrant the breech plugs if they've been shot with BH.

With the OEM breech plugs, if the head space isn't perfect, the nipples can and will gas cut. Problems go well beyond the breech plug straight to the brass primers. Head thickness, or head web thickness, varies greatly on the Remington brass. Some pieces have been measured with a .020" difference in head thickness. This alone is a huge problem. Then some of the brass have primer flash holes that are off center. I have no clue who provides Remington with their brass for the RUM, but the company doing it is sending, IMO, very low quality brass.
What the newly designed breech plug does, is eliminates ALL head spacing problems, along with the brass cases. Instead the new breech plugs use modules and you still use a LRMP, with perfect head spacing. The modules won't burn out when using BH, which can now be shot through the RUM.
The breech plugs have been the only issue with these rifles, that with the new breech plug design can be shot as the thoroughbred it supposed to be, rather than a pony.
If an owner only shoots 3 or 4 rounds a year, his OEM might last a long time. However if you plan on getting serious, especially at long range accurate shooting with the RUM, then the BEST POSSIBLE way is to go with the new ASG breech plug. You'll be done with breech plug issues.

OP
J

Jbark60

FNG
Nothing wrong with using the manufacturer's recommendations, but that does NOT include using BH209. Remington will not warrant the breech plugs if they've been shot with BH.

With the OEM breech plugs, if the head space isn't perfect, the nipples can and will gas cut. Problems go well beyond the breech plug straight to the brass primers. Head thickness, or head web thickness, varies greatly on the Remington brass. Some pieces have been measured with a .020" difference in head thickness. This alone is a huge problem. Then some of the brass have primer flash holes that are off center. I have no clue who provides Remington with their brass for the RUM, but the company doing it is sending, IMO, very low quality brass.
What the newly designed breech plug does, is eliminates ALL head spacing problems, along with the brass cases. Instead the new breech plugs use modules and you still use a LRMP, with perfect head spacing. The modules won't burn out when using BH, which can now be shot through the RUM.
The breech plugs have been the only issue with these rifles, that with the new breech plug design can be shot as the thoroughbred it supposed to be, rather than a pony.
If an owner only shoots 3 or 4 rounds a year, his OEM might last a long time. However if you plan on getting serious, especially at long range accurate shooting with the RUM, then the BEST POSSIBLE way is to go with the new ASG breech plug. You'll be done with breech plug issues.

Great information does the after market breech plug need to be installed by arrowhead sporting goods or is it something I can do? Also do you think using the triple 7 pellets will cause the gas cutting?

ENCORE

WKR
Great information does the after market breech plug need to be installed by arrowhead sporting goods or is it something I can do? Also do you think using the triple 7 pellets will cause the gas cutting?

Luke Horak (ASG) will install it, Levi Reed (UT), or Jeff Fisk (IN). If you have a lathe you could install it yourself.
Remember, perfect head space is the key. Its a one time change and you're done.

Any propellant can gas cut the breech plug, although Remington harden their BP much harder than the UF plug. Yes, T7 can certainly gas cut the nipple if the head space isn't perfect. Remington has replaced a ton of breech plugs because of bad head space, yet they appear to refuse to address the brass. BH because of its nitrocellulous properties will gas cut them the quickest. IMO, T7 is the second, followed by other propellants.

Take a good luck at the photos below. The first photo shows very well the Remington Breech plug in a cutout. Now, notice how the brass case is pushed on to the nipple of the breech plug. The bolt closes it tightly, or is supposed to. Now imagine the piece of brass in the photo is perfect and creates the perfect head space, tight against the nipple. Next, imagine the next piece of brass that you use, the head thickness on that piece of brass is .010" thinner. What you'll have is a .010" gap between the inside flash hole of the brass and the nipple. Thus you WILL have gas leaking. Leaking gas is what gas cuts the nipple.
Now the second photo shows examples of brass cases. New and unfired, to cases that leak gas. ANY case that shows even the remotest sign of gas leaking should never be used again.
Again...………. the ASG breech plug completely eliminates all these major problems.

https://s19.postimg.cc/3q0gohtrn/Ultimate_muzzle_block.jpg

https://s19.postimg.cc/5uktpl343/100_4791b.jpg

LWH723

FNG
Hey Guys... George pretty much covered the highlights of the the BP Upgrade. For the installation, it's definitely possible to DIY if you have access to a lathe. If not, having ASG do it is very simple. I send out a head space gauge kit with the plug. User identifies largest gauge that still allows bolt to cycle and returns plug and kit to me. I make the head space adjustment on the plug and return to you.

Luke
ASG

Hey Guys... George pretty much covered the highlights of the the BP Upgrade. For the installation, it's definitely possible to DIY if you have access to a lathe. If not, having ASG do it is very simple. I send out a head space gauge kit with the plug. User identifies largest gauge that still allows bolt to cycle and returns plug and kit to me. I make the head space adjustment on the plug and return to you.

Luke
ASG
once you install the new BP can you no longer use the original Remington primers? Do you have to use the ones from ASG

ENCORE

WKR
once you install the new BP can you no longer use the original Remington primers? Do you have to use the ones from ASG
I'm assuming that when you say primers, you're actually talking about the Remington cases?

The whole object is to get rid of the brass primer carriers to something that won't leak, gas cut, or require replacement.