Knight Ultralight breech plug

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I just purchased a Knight Ultralight for an upcoming Nevada mule deer hunt. The rifle I purchased was the Western version which i believe is only suitable for #11 caps. Because they are legal in Nevada I would like to use 209 primers and Blackhorn 209 powder which from the little bit of research I’ve done sounds like is more consistent and is able to achieve better velocities. My question is which breech plug do I need from Knight? On their website I didn’t see what I was looking for specially for the Ultralight. Also, do I want one for bare 209 primers or are the primers jacketed? I am brand new to muzzleloaders and trying to figure this all out. I’d appreciate any help or advice anyone could provide. Thank you,
Brian

CoHiCntry

WKR
I have one that came stock in my Knight U-lite. I got a new one custom made so don’t need or use it anymore. I think I shot it once or twice. It’s the bare primer. If you go that route, let me know, I can save you a few bucks.

OP
C

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have one that came stock in my Knight U-lite. I got a new one custom made so don’t need or use it anymore. I think I shot it once or twice. It’s the bare primer. If you go that route, let me know, I can save you a few bucks.

CO,
Im definitely interested. Can you PM what you would like for it? I am curious what is different about the custom one you had made? Also, is the bare primer version (besides the #11 nipple) the only other version available?

OP
C

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Do I need a new bolt to go with the breech plug? Reading through some older forum posts regarding the Ultralight it sounds like there is a bolt swap as well.

Do I need a new bolt to go with the breech plug? Reading through some older forum posts regarding the Ultralight it sounds like there is a bolt swap as well.

I have written this before so I am just picking it up and moving it here...

[quote author=Damnimissed link=topic=226471.msg3012881#msg3012881 date=1523956205]
Does anyone know what's needed to convert from western to 209 in Knight bolt rifles? Obviously the breech plug or nipple will need swapped but what about the firing pin?
[/quote]

The firing pin/hammer assembly remains the same..

You will need to change the Western Bolt housing out for a 209 bolt housing. And you will need a new breech plug. There are two types of each.... If you want to go to the FPJ system (Full Plastic Jacket - red plastic jacket) then you would need this conversion...

This link will take you to the FPJ Conversion.

Ultra-Lite Full Plastic Jacket Conversion Kit - Knight Rifles

This link wil show the things needed for the FPJ system - Red Plastic Jackets

209 Primer Ignition Systems

This link will take you to the NFPJ System - better know os the bare primer system

Ultra-Lite 209 Bare Primer Conversion Kit - Knight Rifles

Personally I would really suggest the NFPJ system...

OP
C

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Sabotloader,
Thank you for the links. I spent well over an hour last night looking through old posts looking for this information. I've seen you have a ton of experience with muzzleloaders and I have to ask, why do you prefer the NFPJ system over the FPJ? Thank you for your help,
Brian

Sabotloader,
Thank you for the links. I spent well over an hour last night looking through old posts looking for this information. I've seen you have a ton of experience with muzzleloaders and I have to ask, why do you prefer the NFPJ system over the FPJ? Thank you for your help,
Brian

The NFPJ system can be made so your breech stays perfectly clean. The plastic jacket system is dirty, not as dirty as the percussion you have been using - but dirty. Plus with the Red Jackets you have to de-cap and re-prime the jacket. The jackets stretch over time and become more dirty.