WV January whitetail

K Pauley

FNG
West Virginia will start a January muzzle loader season. I have 2 inline rifles but this will be for sidelocks only and no scopes. I picked up a used Thompson Renegade for $100. What would I need to do to this to get optimum performance on whitetail? I am sure the sights will need to be upgraded for older eyes. What other equipment and loads are you guys using? 54 caliber. And no Sabots will be allowed.

Last edited:
West Virginia will start a January muzzle loader season. I have 2 inline rifles but this will be for sidelocks only and no scopes. I picked up a used Thompson Renegade for $100. What would I need to do to this to get optimum performance on whitetail? I am sure the sights will need to be upgraded for older eyes. What other equipment and loads are you guys using? 54 caliber. And no Sabots will be allowed.

I would go with a rear tang sight - I personally like the Lyman 57 ML tang sight.

This pic doesn't really show it very well and I use a fiber optic replacement front sight.

TC_Renegade.jpg

This shows a little more detail

Lyman0Stop.jpg

LymanGrad.jpg

You can see I had to remove a little bit of wood on the stock to get it to fit.

Lyman 57SML and 57GPR Receiver Sights | Muzzle Loader Sights

Take a look at the conicals that Bullshop Dan offers.

bullshopBullets.jpg

I use a shot card under the bullet to protect the bottom of the bullet melting - but I am using 90 grains of T7 powder. T7 burns hotter than the Pyrodex's and reall BP. This is a pic of 50 cal cards you would need to get 54 cal cards.

Shot_Card-_Sub_Bridge.jpg

Hope some of this helps

OP
K

K Pauley

FNG
Mine has the factory fiber optic front sight. Did you have to drill and tap another hole in th tang?

Some of the older TC tangs have the second hole... in my case I did have to drill and tap. It is a fairly straight forward operation.

bbell

WKR
Not a T/C, but I used a Lyman GPR .54 last year. I used a roundball and 90 gr of fffg blackpowder. Shot my mule deer at 100yds and had a pass through. She walked about 5 yds and fell over. I think any roundball or conical as long as it is accurate would work fine.

Brandon