Light Load for Youth Hunters?

sargent

WKR
I have a .45 CVA Kodiak Magnum. I typically shoot it with 3 50 grain pyrodex pellets and 200 grain Hornady SST saboted bullets. I'm thinking about trying it with just one 50 grain pyrodex pellet so my kids can shoot more comfortably. Has anyone tried this? What do you think the effective range would be for whitetails?

I know a couple years back when my dad started shooting mz again he had a brain fart and only was loading one pellet behind a 50 cal saboted sst and at 50 yards he didn’t hit paper. He said it felt weird when he shot (about like a 22). Not sure what a 45 would do but I think the range would be very minimal. I’m no expert here just going off what I have seen. It’s great you want to get the youngster involved. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know a couple years back when my dad started shooting mz again he had a brain fart and only was loading one pellet behind a 50 cal saboted sst and at 50 yards he didn’t hit paper. He said it felt weird when he shot (about like a 22). Not sure what a 45 would do but I think the range would be very minimal. I’m no expert here just going off what I have seen. It’s great you want to get the youngster involved. Good luck!

I should state this was out of a 50 cal knight disc and the bullet was a 45 cal sst, 50 grain pellet

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Last year my 16 year old daughter used a .50 cal with 100gr of BH209 behind a 348gr conical for elk, and she did fine. But I guess it depends just how young we're talking, and how sensitive they are to recoil.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
Take that 45 stoke it with around 100 grains a veggie wad and put a 170 grain lehigh controled fracturing bullet on top of it may have to knurl to fit your bore but that load is deadly on our mule deer bucks here in colorado. My wife is super recoil sensitive this is the load she uses recoil like a 223.

My step daughter shot a mature doe last season shooting 40 grains by volume of BH209 (I calculated that to be about the same as 50 grains of pyrodex) and a 290 grain barnes bullet out of a 50 cal CVA Accura.

Not exactly sure what range it would still be deadly at, but it was extremely accurate at 50 yards, and the doe she shot was at about 30 yards and it didnt run very far before piling up.