Knight Ultralite/BH 209 cleaning on a hunt

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone,

I was curious what everyones experience is in how often they need to clean their Knights while using BH 209. I have a CO deer muzzy tag in CO which ill be packing in. Though I am a very confident shooter, I've seen shit go wrong with muzzys and was curious if you bring any cleaning stuff back with you and how many rounds you can get off before needing cleaning. Im getting ready to take my new UL out for load testing, but my last CVA seemed as though it needed to be cleaned every 6ish rounds before it started getting very difficult to get the bullet down the bore, but I hear dudes saying they can go 20+. So curious your experiences.

Thanks, Jim

I’m new to muzzleloaders, but running BH209 as well as either the Federal Bor Lok or Thor copper bullets, no sabots as per CO. From the research I’ve been doing, BH209 is clean burning and non-corrosive enough to not worry about cleaning the barrel on a week long hunt. Those bullets also appear to not leave much residue in the barrel, so loading follow up shots shouldn’t require cleaning.

Since I’ll have the ramrod anyways, it makes sense to carry several dry patches with me in the event that I have a barrel obstruction or moisture issues. I’d feel fine dumping the wet powder out, swabbing the barrel with 2 dry patches, firing a primer, then re-loading.

As I said, this isn’t based on experience, just research, so take it for what it’s worth.

OP
CareyJAF50

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
I’m new to muzzleloaders, but running BH209 as well as either the Federal Bor Lok or Thor copper bullets, no sabots as per CO. From the research I’ve been doing, BH209 is clean burning and non-corrosive enough to not worry about cleaning the barrel on a week long hunt. Those bullets also appear to not leave much residue in the barrel, so loading follow up shots shouldn’t require cleaning.

Since I’ll have the ramrod anyways, it makes sense to carry several dry patches with me in the event that I have a barrel obstruction or moisture issues. I’d feel fine dumping the wet powder out, swabbing the barrel with 2 dry patches, firing a primer, then re-loading.

As I said, this isn’t based on experience, just research, so take it for what it’s worth.

Cool, ya im shooting Thors for CO which will be my first experience with conicals. All my previous muzzy experience was using Hornady and Barnes sabots, all with BH209. I couldn't get a whole lot more than 6 to 7 before needing to clean, so we'll see if this is different. Thanks man