How many spare loads do you carry?

I’m curious how many spare loads you carry in tubes on your person with a single tag. Is 2 plus the one you’ve got in the gun sufficient, plus more at camp in the event of being soaked though, knocking your sights off, etc?

Worst case scenario would seem that you miss your first shot of the day, then make a marginal shot later on and need a follow up/ finisher. If it’s more than that you might as well just take the rest of the day off and try again later. I do plan to have another extra primer or 2 in the event of a miss fire or needing to dry out the barrel.

I keep 2-3 in bino pouch/pocket and a zip lock with primers.
Then in my pack I keep and 3 and ziplock of primers in the drybag with my 1st aid etc.
That way if I fall in the water or something I have a backup.

muddydogs

WKR
I would hate to make a bad shot and not have enough rounds to make it right so I carry 4 reloads on my pack belt for quick access then another 3 or 4 reloads in a zip lock bag in my pack. I carry 2 4 round primer holders where I can get at them, one in pants pocket and another in shirt pocket for quick primer changes then another couple primer holders in bags in my pack. I also carry a few patches in my pack because it would take way more primers then I care to carry to dry a barrel out if I happen to get the muzzy wet. I also look at my reloads as a safety item, if I ever need to get a fire going a little BH 209 will sure help the process along.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
I used to carry 3 spares in my pocket then i witnessed a complete rodeo where 8 shots were fired i now carry 3 in my right pocket 3 in my left and a few in my pack.

flyfshrmn

FNG
I carry three quickloaders where I can easily access them, but also carry a field loader for powder, extra bullets and extra primers in my pack in waterproof containers. I've hunted a lot in wet conditions and cover the muzzle with a balloon when it's wet.

OP
G
Thanks for the feedback guys, looks like it’s worth carrying an extra 1-2. There will be more back at camp and I plan to weatherproof the muzzle. The most rifle rounds I’ve ever fired during a day is 3, and had it been a muzzleloader I’d only have been able to get 2 off. I don’t want to be in a position where I’m out of ammo, especially with a wounded elk on my hands, but I don’t feel I need to prepare for WWIII either.

elkguide

WKR
If you're talking elk..... they can take a lot of punishment and still keep going.

Speed loaders are light, don't take up much space and you can use them next summer to check zero if you don't use them in the fall. Much better to have to many than to be frantically running back to camp!