Cardio Advice needed

Fatcamp

WKR
Distance running is something that can be done anywhere, and builds toughness.

Not sure why, but running just has a higher suck factor than other forms of endurance work. Such a mental battle to continue on. That toughness is a good thing. And in heavy squatting for perfection. Squats suck too.

WKR
Don't add in something high risk. An injury is far more of a threat to your hunting season than a lack of optimal aerobic fitness.

Running, ballistic exercise programs, excessively heavy rucking, etc are simply not a good choice due to risk to reward ratios.

Bodybuilding routines are not a good choice for whole body strength. A program that isolates body parts is likely more suited towards bodybuilding than whole body strength/conditioning.

Compound movements including carries, drags, pushes, and reasonable rucking would be advised. Spine sparing technique must be a major focus of all training, single leg work should also be emphasized.

I like running in 95-100* heat. It will max out your nervous system and trick you into thinking you’re having major malfunctions. Then, you take a couple deep breaths and keep going.

I also think that throwing on a 60-75# backpack and walking on a treadmill with the incline maxed out in a garage in the middle of a summer day does wonders to your endurance.

Last edited:
I’m grateful to live and work in the mountains where I like to hunt so I don’t have to put anymore effort into exercising than I need to.

Fatcamp

WKR
I like running in 95-100* heat. It will max put your nervous system and truck you into thinking you’re having major malfunctions. Then, you take a couple deep breaths and keep going.

I also think that throwing on a 60-75# backpack and walking on a treadmill with the incline maxed out in a garage in the middle of a summer day does wonders to your endurance.

Remember, you can reroute the vent from your clothes dryer to blow in your face while on your dreadmill. Toughness achieved, level 11. :D

Remember, you can reroute the vent from your clothes dryer to blow in your face while on your dreadmill. Toughness achieved, level 11. :D

Lol! I really don’t mean to come off as “I’m tougher than you”, I’ve just never had as good of results with other training. I try to get up to that “I’m gonna pass out now” feeling, then I back off. Just what I feel will keep me calm when I get to the mountains.

Fatcamp

WKR
Lol! I really don’t mean to come off as “I’m tougher than you”, I’ve just never had as good of results with other training. I try to get up to that “I’m gonna pass out now” feeling, then I back off. Just what I feel will keep me calm when I get to the mountains.

I agree that running in the heat really builds ones fortitude.

The dryer vent idea came off a documentary about a 100 mile race in Death Valley I believe. The one guy did just that to prepare. Thought it was the ultimate in race prep.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry, I don't have the time to sit and read all of the replies. I'm sure you got some good advice. If you want to call me I can run through some stuff with you.

FlyGuy

WKR
I live in Houston. Super hot, super humid, super flat, and super low elevation. Couldn't be any more different than where I like to hunt. But, I really do think that getting in my 2 short and 1 long (~13 mi) trail run/week in this stifling heat really helps come September. I don't have any proof, but something is going on inside your body, trying to regulate body temp I guess, that makes it really work overtime. I feel like what ever is happening in there is similar in some way to what is happening inside the body of a flatlander when he starts day one of his hunt at 10K ft. Or Maybe that's not even close, but that's what I tell myself to get out the door and run in this heat. I eff'ing HATE it, but I truly feel like this is what really makes the biggest difference for me on fitness gains and it pays off big time for me in September.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

530Chukar

WKR

It’s 110 outside right now. No more heat please! I do think that running in the heat really helps out. You just need to be well hydrated prior so your body doesn’t give up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
Last Saturday I spent four hours behind a high weed mower in the heat and humidity. Lost four pounds in that time. Drank fluids the whole time. Couldn't believe it. Clothing was soaked from my hat to my boots. Saturated with sweat.

Good times. :p

OP
M

Maus1322

FNG
Hello everyone,

Once again thanks for the help and advice. Tonight i worked on some chest and core workout and afterwards i cranked up the treadmill to 15 degrees and WOW. i started at like 3.5 and by the end i was 2.8 i think that was still too fast as i was very winded when i hit a half mile. I was going to use it for my cool down hike and well that didn't work so well HAHA. I will definitely incorporate a loaded hike SOON! Have a great one

tmwtrfwler

Lil-Rokslider
Someone mentioned bleachers earlier. I have been hiking 3-8 miles a day through parks, roads, etc for a few weeks and mixing in 1-2 days with a 60lb pack (50lb sandbag, water bladder, pack weight, etc.). I did the bleacher workout b/c I was short on time and did 1.5 miles in 40 minutes. That was a total kick in the a$$. I will be hitting those bleachers much more now with my pack. I'm in Virginia too far away from the blue ridge and we just don't have the elevation or hills close enough that I need to replicate a mountain routinely. The bleachers are the best thing I have.....glad I went.

OXN939

WKR
Please take them time to listen to the Hunt Backcountry podcast I referenced earlier, sorry I can't figure out how to provide the link. The findings that he provides relating to running were pretty fascinating to me. They found that running 12 mi a week total for military members, much of whom are probably younger and have had less time to destroy their bodies, was the optimal mileage. More miles than that did not produce better PT times, but did lead to much higher incidences of injury.

This is right about the mileage I'd recommend, plus 3x a week doing some kind of resistance training. The result, assuming correct nutrition and hydration, should be the mix of strength, speed and stamina that has been referenced several times in this thread.

Side note, wild game is a fantastic recovery tool for this kind of thing. I've been competitively involved in endurance athletics for 15 years, and my anecdotal observations are that having wild game as a daily part of my diet offers a greater benefit than any supplement I've ever taken. So basically what I'm saying is, go kill that elk 4 the gainz

OP
M

Maus1322

FNG
Well, First off I am saying thank you for the assistance. This is a quick update on my conditioning. I Have maintained my 4 times a week and started incorporating rucking. Trying to hit 11 miles a week. the temp hit 103 F today which is very hottt. I went out and hiked. Although what i noticed is that i am now up 4 pounds consistantly. I am making mild gainz via endurance but my diet has trailed a bit. I eat wild game weekly at the minimum ( whitetail, elk, pheasant, duck, goose, fish) I am afraid my diet is hard due to hours at work. Although the bright side is atleast i know that now. I will work on it and maybe count my calories and see. I do notice however my veins are getting bigger. Is this part of the Cardio process? Anyhow thanks for the help peeps!