MtnOps Enduro Placebo effect?

I have never been one to use supplements but after seeing MtnOps products mentioned so much on various podcasts it peaked my curiosity and after hearing many times about Enduro I read the ingredients and cross referenced them with WebMD and thought it couldn't hurt if I tried it.

We were in Cabela's this weekend and I bought the BlackCherry Enduro. I had it for the first time yesterday and didn't notice anything but today I did a 4 mile hike with a 40 pound pack. This was the same route I took last Thursday. The weather was very similar today as last week. My perception though was that I was more tired and my legs were somewhat sore from working out yesterday so I wasn't expecting much. My time was roughly the same as last week within 40 seconds but my average heart rate was over 30 beats per minute less than last week and my peak heart rate was 155 vs an avg of 150 last week and a peak of 182.

I have never heard of anything like this! I am not sure if this was an actual result of the Enduro, a placebo effect or my heart rate monitor went wacky.

Has anyone else had similar results?!

Last edited:

2hand

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t wanted to try it due to the ingredients. L-arginine is the one if the main ingredients and your body doesn’t process it efficiently when it’s orally taken. I really wish they would have used L-citrulline as that is proven to be much more efficient at being available for use in the body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F
I haven’t wanted to try it due to the ingredients. L-arginine is the one if the main ingredients and your body doesn’t process it efficiently when it’s orally taken. I really wish they would have used L-citrulline as that is proven to be much more efficient at being available for use in the body.

This is from WebMd: L-citrulline is a substance called a non-essential amino acid. Your kidneys change L-citrulline into another amino acid called L-arginine and a chemical called nitric oxide.

According to MtnOps the ingredients of Enduro have 5000mg L-Arginine and 1000mg L-Citruline to generate Nitric Oxide.

I can't find anything saying that it is inefficient taking it orally. Could you provide a source? Not doubting you I just want to further understand what I am taking and want to make sure it is going to be safe.

Thanks!

2hand

Lil-Rokslider
This is from WebMd: L-citrulline is a substance called a non-essential amino acid. Your kidneys change L-citrulline into another amino acid called L-arginine and a chemical called nitric oxide.

According to MtnOps the ingredients of Enduro have 5000mg L-Arginine and 1000mg L-Citruline to generate Nitric Oxide.

I can't find anything saying that it is inefficient taking it orally. Could you provide a source? Not doubting you I just want to further understand what I am taking and want to make sure it is going to be safe.

Thanks!

These are natural compounds and are generally safe. How your body metabolizes them is very different. L-Citrulline is a precursor to L-Arginine, so your body metabolizes it and it becomes L-Arginine.

This is an article speaking to this topic.

https://bpspubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1365-2125.2007.02990.x

There is a lot out there on it, so it pays to do a little bit of reading. Pay attention to the dosing as 1000 mg is low based on what I’ve read.

OP
F
These are natural compounds and are generally safe. How your body metabolizes them is very different. L-Citrulline is a precursor to L-Arginine, so your body metabolizes it and it becomes L-Arginine.

This is an article speaking to this topic.

https://bpspubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1365-2125.2007.02990.x

There is a lot out there on it, so it pays to do a little bit of reading. Pay attention to the dosing as 1000 mg is low based on what I’ve read.

Assuming my results are consistent going forward and the change in my heart rates between the two hikes stays at similar rates for the output I would be afraid to use a higher dose because my resting blood pressure would be extremely low possibly too low.

Last edited:

epicaaron

Lil-Rokslider
Your heart rate was almost certinaly lower on your second hike because you were not fully recovered from prior workout(s). Your time was roughly the same, because on your first benchmark hike you went hard, and unless you are really really fit, you were well above your lactic threshold and lack the massive aerobic base to process the resulting lactic acid efficiently, so, despite having a higher peak heart rate at some point in the workout you were not net faster.

I'm not a DR, but I suspect that if you ask one they will tell you that any supplement that actually caused a substantial reduction in your heart rate at any level of exertion could be super dangerous.

I have no doubt it is a good product, just as many others are. We, as a hunting population, have allowed these companies to market to us with "Hunter Specific" products. They arent. There are numerous other brands out there that are just like everything else.
Again, Ive not used Mtn Ops. NOT bashing them. Just bashing the hunter hype.
A good diet will do 99% of what people think their supplements will do for them. In fact, supplements are not nearly as effective if someone doesnt have a good diet and a healthy digestive function.
As stated, arginine taken orally doesnt have the same effect as the ATP/energy synthesis process naturally conducted in the body. Several compounds turn to arginine when taken and actually used in the process.
Long story short...eat better, try the stuff and if it works for you then rock it.