Workout Program/Plan for 60 y/o and Up?

Crusader

WKR
Hey guys, I turned 59 a few weeks ago and figure I'm close enough to 60 to lump in with that crowd. I'm sure the vast majority of the people who use this site are well under my age and I'm guessing that applies especially to this particular Forum. Continuing that thought, I think a lot of the fitness/workout advice and comments here probably are more suited for the younger guys, those who can really go hard at workouts all the time without a lot of worry. (I know there are probably some of you guys reading this who are older than myself and are saying "well I work out all the time and do xxxx and I'm fine, and whatever"); I know that but it's just that you guys I'm sure are way in the minority. I am one of those guys, having been in sports and fitness continually since my teens and working out regularly now. But now at this age, staying healthy and injury-free while remaining fit is the main priority. Injuries at this age are a much bigger setback than for young guys and recovery takes a lot longer.

Sorry for the long intro but all that being said, I have a question about workout programs. I'll be hunting CO's first rifle season this year; buddy and I will be more or less doing a drop camp only we will hike up the mountain rather than ride horseback. In preparation, I do lower body weight and resistance work every other weekday. This consists of 7-8 different exercises such as back squats, calf raises, hip adductor and abductor, leg extensions, box step-ups while holding kettle bells, and others. I also do a fair amount of ab exercises (I don't do any upper body workouts because I have elbow and shoulder injuries that pretty much prohibit that and I really don't want to put on any upper body muscle, anyway). On the days between those days, I do cardio, mixing up stair climber, spinning bike, elliptical, and very rarely, running treadmill (I used to do triathlons but pretty much quit running to save my knees). On Saturday or Sunday I do backpack hikes.

My question is, am I better off resting between lower body workout days? Or maybe, excluding the stair climber exercises, in order to let leg muscles rest and recover? Or just continue to do what I do now? Are you familiar with any programs for senior guys? As I'm only 7 weeks or so out from my hunt, I want to peak at the right time but also and most importantly, not get hurt.

Sorry for the length of this post and I appreciate your input.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
well I'm one of those older guys :D

I think strength training twice a week (mix of bodyweight and large, compound weight exercises- squats, deadlift, bench, overhead press) and aerobic work 3-4 times a week is more than sufficient, it has been for me

one of my most important workouts for me is a "long run/hike" usually on the weekend- getting quality time on your feet is what paves the way for a successful hunt

I also like having at least one full rest day, sometimes two- recovery is a component some like to ignore, not me

as you're that close to your hunt, I wouldn't make any radical changes- as you state, need to stay injury free

about three weeks out I would incrementally pull back your workouts where the week before hunt you're maybe taking a few relatively easy hikes and call it good

check the WOD thread- there are a ton of different workout ideas in that thread, none copyrighted :)

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have a good all around program and have me beat by 4yrs when I get down to 30 days I add in more cardio time as the heart and lungs are so vital to what we like to do and I limit any opportunity for injury and don’t add anything that is new...I say keep doing your current program with sustained heart rate and count down the days.....good luck👍

WKR
Are you strength training, or resistance training? If the former, 2x/week is plenty IMO. If the later, then it depends on how you are recovering. Recoverable volume depends on A LOT of factors, one of which being age.

Aerobic training can be combined with strength training if done in the correct work/rest ratios. This is my favorite way to train, but I also like LSD efforts just for the mental and relaxation benefits.

I would be hesitant to change anything other than reducing volume for the last 2-3 weeks as you "taper" for your goal performance timeframe.

The program you have seems solid, however I have a couple questions:

1) What are your reps and sets like?

2) How often do these numbers change week to week?

3) Where's your HR at on your cardio? (Assuming you've got this covered since you did triathlons lol)

From what you've told us, you may want to do one of two things: a) focus your lift days a touch more, where you do your more strenuous lifts like squats on one day and then the accessory leg lifts the other two. The reason for this is to allow your muscles to recover properly. An added benefit is being able to do more sets or reps on either days, since you cut out some exercises. Or b) change your lifts to two days a week and have a rest day where you do yoga and core. The body awareness yoga provides alone is worth doing it, aside from the added balance, flexibility, and core strength. Going to a studio can help, however I just do it in my living room and follow YouTube sessions. Just keep your shoulders in mind if you go that route as some poses can put some pressure on them.

OP
Crusader

Crusader

WKR
THL, thanks for the input. Typically, 3 sets of 10-12 reps or so. Every couple weeks I'm adding maybe 5% on weight (strength training). I'm more or less doing (b) from your post. Am interested in yoga, flexibility is key at our age. Never had any class or instruction but am going to look into YouTubing it this weekend.

Anyway guys, thanks for the input. I wish you all safe training until your hunt then an equally safe and successful hunt!

And, here's to old guys!!!! :D