Gettin in shape

OP
Cant hit em
Ran my first run of the year Sunday. I ran this same run last year of 5 miles , the top was Sundays times the bottom was last years. Progressing but my goal is to be in the 7's for pace. Still on the grind
9030bdfe451bf40e71de5878bd785b2c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Cant hit em
Glad I found this thread. Very inspiring story from another Modesto brother. Keep up the great work!

Thanks Johnny , anytime you want to shoot some archery or hit some hikes message me ill send you my #

OP
Cant hit em
Lets get on it , if your looking to be in shape for season dont wait until last minute , make that change. All we can do is encourage you , you got to want it. #transformationtuesday ...
1d1835fa35d00829068e6ade7040014c.jpg
second 10k in the last month ......Get busy

JohnnyB

WKR
How long before a hunt do you back off running and workouts, if at all?

I have dropped over twenty pounds since reading your thread and am leaving in a couple of weeks for spring bear in Montana. I want to be fresh and strong but just the two day drive may be enough to reboot. What do you do?

Daniel_M

WKR
Thats a good question. I'm working hard to be in shape for my fall hunt, and the last thing I need along the way is to get hurt. So my best advice would be work consistent, and work safely especially if you're lifting weights.

Recovery times lessen the more you stay active. A body in motion stays in motion....

OP
Cant hit em

I have dropped over twenty pounds since reading your thread and am leaving in a couple of weeks for spring bear in Montana. I want to be fresh and strong but just the two day drive may be enough to reboot. What do you do?

Awesome Job Johnny , I ran and lifted all the way up to my hunt because it was so routine after a while i was use to it. I did that as well for train to hunt. Good luck on your bear hunt , ive been doing some heavy hikes up by Malones if your ever interested pm me

jmez

WKR
I don't back off my workouts either. Continue right up to the day I leave and back in the gym the day after I get back.

Poser

WKR

Now that I live out West at some altitude I don't think it's a big deal to workout right up until a trip. However, driving from the East, I would suggest tapering down some. The 20+ hour drives can be stressful on your body and you don't want to be in a depleted state when you start to acclimate. Don't over think it, but if you were going to leave on, say, a Friday, then I'd do a scheduled workout on Monday (something that is going to leave you feeling "ready") and a light (not stressful) workout on Wednesday. That would ideally have you starting your drive in a recovered state and (ideally) hitting altitude in "peak" condition. That suggestion is based on the way that other athletes train, taper and attempt to "peak" on a specific day. At a minimum, I think that you do not want to start the acclimation process in a deficit and the long drives are more stressful and taxing than most people take into consideration. You drive for 20 hours, it's stressful, you don't eat that well, sleep is shit, your stiff and more dehydrated than usual -those factors accumulate significantly.

This is obviously a superb thread to read for all those who wonder if they actually can drop the pounds and get in shape.

Cant hit em...just incredible and inspirational stuff going on with you. I absolutely admire your ability to persevere and put your health above those things which drag us down. Your motivation is beyond most, and the ability to maintain it is rare. Those of us who have dropped significant weight understand that the process doesn't stop once goals are achieved. The process changes to new goals and to one of dedicated watchful maintenance of weight and health.

I remember several years back reading about the actor Tom Arnold dropping many pounds, and being asked what made him do it. His reply was basically, "I realized I was eating like a jerk. I didn't care about my weight or health, and had no real respect for my body. I didn't respect my wife and new son, realizing I was more interested in eating like a jerk than being around for them many years from now. I basically decided to stop acting like a jerk when it came to my eating and overall health."

That resonated with me. I used it to get started. Finding motivation is so hard. I liken it to finding a fledgling bird...very hard to keep it alive. It takes constant attention and careful nourishment. If you can keep it alive and growing, it builds some strength and then momentum...but not at first. For me it took weeks of stubborn adherence to a plan. When results show up, motivation grows. Numbers matter and are simply proof of progress. Elapsed times, ounces lost, heart rates changed, pounds lifted, miles covered, inches lost, calories refused....all prove things are working. So do the compliments from friends and family.

I will say that my digital scale is my friend which always tells me the truth. I spent a few bucks online and bought a great scale which accurately weighs in tenths of pounds. I can see fractional weight changes day to day, which is important to me when I'm working toward a goal. I believe I will be stepping on the scale every day (possible) for the rest of my life. I also log my weight every day and watch closely for variance or trends. The more I do this, the more I understand my body and the things which can help or hurt my ongoing goals. I believe anyone who seriously wants to drop pounds should invest in a good digital scale and use it every day without fail. Live well, live long, and hunt hard.

OP
Cant hit em
This is obviously a superb thread to read for all those who wonder if they actually can drop the pounds and get in shape.

Cant hit em...just incredible and inspirational stuff going on with you. I absolutely admire your ability to persevere and put your health above those things which drag us down. Your motivation is beyond most, and the ability to maintain it is rare. Those of us who have dropped significant weight understand that the process doesn't stop once goals are achieved. The process changes to new goals and to one of dedicated watchful maintenance of weight and health.

I remember several years back reading about the actor Tom Arnold dropping many pounds, and being asked what made him do it. His reply was basically, "I realized I was eating like a jerk. I didn't care about my weight or health, and had no real respect for my body. I didn't respect my wife and new son, realizing I was more interested in eating like a jerk than being around for them many years from now. I basically decided to stop acting like a jerk when it came to my eating and overall health."

That resonated with me. I used it to get started. Finding motivation is so hard. I liken it to finding a fledgling bird...very hard to keep it alive. It takes constant attention and careful nourishment. If you can keep it alive and growing, it builds some strength and then momentum...but not at first. For me it took weeks of stubborn adherence to a plan. When results show up, motivation grows. Numbers matter and are simply proof of progress. Elapsed times, ounces lost, heart rates changed, pounds lifted, miles covered, inches lost, calories refused....all prove things are working. So do the compliments from friends and family.

I will say that my digital scale is my friend which always tells me the truth. I spent a few bucks online and bought a great scale which accurately weighs in tenths of pounds. I can see fractional weight changes day to day, which is important to me when I'm working toward a goal. I believe I will be stepping on the scale every day (possible) for the rest of my life. I also log my weight every day and watch closely for variance or trends. The more I do this, the more I understand my body and the things which can help or hurt my ongoing goals. I believe anyone who seriously wants to drop pounds should invest in a good digital scale and use it every day without fail. Live well, live long, and hunt hard.

Kevin Dill thank you for the kind words , i truly appreciate it. I hope to inspire anyone looking to better themselves.

After not placing last year , this weekend my hunting partner and I captured 2nd place in the team event at Train to Hunt Nevada. Bringing home a medal is amazing , but the friendships I've gained from both TTH events I've attended is priceless. Anyone that is on the fence or wondering about TTH , sack it up and do it , its far more than a contest.
Stone Glacier was freakin awesome at 50#

Last edited:
OP
Cant hit em
Still going after it. Ill enter this season at about 190 to 195lbs (depending if i took a dump) and feeling stronger than ever. Ready to put in miles on the mountain as I am physically prepared. Set goals and dont settle for less.

458122d687a44791ca8699b7051e3e56.jpg

OP
Cant hit em
Tag soup , I spent most my archery season hunting a big buck i found scouting , had chances but blew a few stocks . This ole boy was smart and at high elevation the wind swirled all day everyday
a8c756a05a49b7e5e37c6fad1574a381.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Cant hit em
It was at this time 3 years ago I changed my life for the better. Its a continuous struggle but is possible through will power and hard work. If I can do it anyone can , its there if you want it. HAPPY NEW YEAR and DO WORK !!!!
ddd8234871fe2dc9c29debe1e7cffe58.jpg

daddie63

WKR
Inspirational for sure. Congrats to you and keep up the great work. 3 years and still going strong.

OP
Cant hit em
Get after it , still grinding

You control it , Do Work

Current. 3 years ago
5b4dbd5fb766321f252e9fe8f5f5522f.jpg