Need workout program/ routine... any ideas?

CoHiCntry

WKR
I'm looking for a workout program but not sure where to start? I'm 41 and in decent shape mostly of the backpacking, hiking, type. I've never done a ton of working out just let my hobbies which are all pretty active carry me through. As I age I'm starting to see the need for more regular exercise. My back is starting to give me fits which makes me think my core isn't as strong as it should be. Also the waist line is a struggle although I'm still a 32" (Ok, maybe 33"). I'm what I'd call a binge exerciser... I don't do much then climb a fourteener one weekend, or head out on a backpacking trip. I'm afraid if I don't start more of a routine then these trips are gonna get harder and harder.

I'm inherently lazy when it comes to programmed exercise and admit it. I don't really enjoy it all that much. I did P90X a few years ago so I'm looking for something like that but not as intense or as long. Working out for 30 mins is plenty. Those marathon 90 minute workouts pretty much sucked. Some type of video, or program is what I need. I can't (or won't) come up with something myself. So, does anyone have any ideas that might fit what I'm looking for? Appreciate any feedback...

OP
CoHiCntry

CoHiCntry

WKR
Crossfit.com

Thanks... checked out the web site and it's kinda busy! Lots going on there. So is the idea that you do whatever they list as the WOD? If so, I looked over a few of those and don't know half of the workout moves they mention. I also landed on a youtube video for the WOD. That would be more what I'm looking for. That way I can watch and follow what they are doing. Do they put out a video on youtube of the WOD every day?

Sorry Co, I should have elaborated more on the first post. Unless you have a full gym at your disposal, you probably won't be able to follow the Crossfit.com workouts. I would strongly recommend joining a Crossfit gym, there is one practically on every corner of every city now days.

Joining the gym is gonna give you a few things, 1- you're gonna get a coach who can teach you all of the movements and the proper way to do them, that coach is also going to be able to see what your weaknesses are and address them as needed. 2- You're going to get a community of people who also want to get/stay healthy and moving, this group is also going to provide you with accountability. It's easy to get out of workout habits at home when no one is watching. That same community will also give you the fuel to get better, through friendly competition, it happens and you can't avoid it. It's fun. 3- The workouts are typically less than 30 minutes, your whole class usually lasts an hour, which will include a warm up, some strength or technique work and then the WOD. 4- Crossfit is going to do exactly what you want to do. Everyone can do it because it is scalable to the degree that there is not a single soul on earth who can not participate.

Give it a shot, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

twall13

WKR
My wife does crossfit and I have to agree with everything from the above post. I haven't wanted to shell out that kind of money for me so I do my own thing but my wife could never get on a consistent routine until she started cross fit. The social aspect holds her accountable and makes it more enjoyable. Crossfit does seem to have more variety in the workouts which is something I could learn from. If you can afford to join a crossfit gym it sounds like it would be a good fit for you. Otherwise it's going to take a bit more effort on your part to be self motivated and consistent.

OP
CoHiCntry

CoHiCntry

WKR
Sorry Co, I should have elaborated more on the first post. Unless you have a full gym at your disposal, you probably won't be able to follow the Crossfit.com workouts. I would strongly recommend joining a Crossfit gym, there is one practically on every corner of every city now days.

Joining the gym is gonna give you a few things, 1- you're gonna get a coach who can teach you all of the movements and the proper way to do them, that coach is also going to be able to see what your weaknesses are and address them as needed. 2- You're going to get a community of people who also want to get/stay healthy and moving, this group is also going to provide you with accountability. It's easy to get out of workout habits at home when no one is watching. That same community will also give you the fuel to get better, through friendly competition, it happens and you can't avoid it. It's fun. 3- The workouts are typically less than 30 minutes, your whole class usually lasts an hour, which will include a warm up, some strength or technique work and then the WOD. 4- Crossfit is going to do exactly what you want to do. Everyone can do it because it is scalable to the degree that there is not a single soul on earth who can not participate.

Give it a shot, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

OK, thanks for the additional info. I probably won't be able to join any gym. There isn't a cross fit gym where I live. I'm in a smaller town in the mountains. The closest one would probably be 45 mins from me. Sounds great but with my shift work schedule, it just isn't gonna happen. I really need something to do at home in my basement. I do stay active and right now it's snow shoeing, and down hill skiing. So cardio isn't as big of a concern as some strength training. Keep the recommendations coming... something has to fit!

I started Insanity Max 30 a few weeks ago because I wanted something shorter and I think it is pretty good. Its 30 min workouts 5 days a week with an optional 6th day that is more of a light routine. It really works the legs/core and cardio. I have back problems a lot and have not experienced any back pain from this. I also get sore knees easy with squats but have not really had a problem with this on my knees either.

Last edited:
OP
CoHiCntry

CoHiCntry

WKR
I started Insanity Max 30 a few weeks ago because I wanted something shorter and I think it is pretty good. Its 30 min workouts 5 days a week with an optional 6th day that is more of a light routine. It really works the legs/core and cardio. I have back problems a lot and have not experienced any back pain from this. I also get sore knees easy with squats but have not really had a problem with this on my knees either.

Insanity Max 30 huh? Sounds intimidating! Might be more intense than I'm looking for but I'll take a look. Thank you...

wyodan

WKR
OK, thanks for the additional info. I probably won't be able to join any gym. There isn't a cross fit gym where I live. I'm in a smaller town in the mountains. The closest one would probably be 45 mins from me. Sounds great but with my shift work schedule, it just isn't gonna happen. I really need something to do at home in my basement. I do stay active and right now it's snow shoeing, and down hill skiing. So cardio isn't as big of a concern as some strength training. Keep the recommendations coming... something has to fit!

If you're interested in the crossfit stuff, you can find all of the movements on YouTube. Or just go into the named workouts and find the body weight ones.

I do the workouts all the time, we don't have a gym that does that anymore. I'm pretty familiar with the movements, so that helps, anything I'm not sure if I look up on the YouTube.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lookup Zac Griffith's workouts on YouTube. He has 2 rounds of workouts that go 4-5 days a week. All built around backpack hunting. That's what I do mixed with 20-30 minute cardio in the mornings. He's got a website too with more info zacgriffith.com

Sorry to hear there isn't one close by. With all things considered, I would honestly get you to order a squat rack, bar, and some weights, and I would encourage you to lift heavy 2-3 times a week and keep up with your other active outdoor activities the rest of the time. Start a squat program, learn to deadlift once a week, and do some sort of press once a week. That would do wonders for you, and considering your age, its the perfect time to get started lifting some heavier weights.

jmez

WKR
The OP has mentioned several times that he doesn't want something intense. Stay away from Crossfit, it isn't for you. You also shouldn't be trying to do or follow any Crossfit type programs by watching the internet, all you will do is perform the exercises incorrectly and end up hurt. Especially with little workout/lifting experience.

Just get or build a weight rack and do some lifting. If you have never really lifted you should go somewhere and get some instruction on proper squat and deadlift technique. Those two lifts should be the staple of any sort of lifting program but need to be done correctly. Especially if you are already having some back issues. Neither are hard on you back if done correctly. Both can and will cause serious lower back problems if done incorrectly.

I also think you need to be honest with yourself. You have already stated that you have never worked out much and don't like to do it. You likely aren't going to stick with anything unless you find a partner to lift with or a gym to go to. You will probably need someone other than you to keep you accountable and stick with it.

WKR
The OP has mentioned several times that he doesn't want something intense. Stay away from Crossfit, it isn't for you. You also shouldn't be trying to do or follow any Crossfit type programs by watching the internet, all you will do is perform the exercises incorrectly and end up hurt. Especially with little workout/lifting experience.

Just get or build a weight rack and do some lifting. If you have never really lifted you should go somewhere and get some instruction on proper squat and deadlift technique. Those two lifts should be the staple of any sort of lifting program but need to be done correctly. Especially if you are already having some back issues. Neither are hard on you back if done correctly. Both can and will cause serious lower back problems if done incorrectly.

I also think you need to be honest with yourself. You have already stated that you have never worked out much and don't like to do it. You likely aren't going to stick with anything unless you find a partner to lift with or a gym to go to. You will probably need someone other than you to keep you accountable and stick with it.

This is very, very good advice.

I'll add that CrossFit done for fitness (rather than as a sport) can be extremely enjoyable for many people. With good coaching and reasonable programming, you might not mind the higher intensity and the social and accountability aspects of that environment are very effective in improving long term compliance with exercise.

Edit: Oops, just saw that you already said there's no CF gym near you.

Last edited:

WKR
Evidence suggests that there is no link between hamstring flexibility and incidence of low back pain.

Weakness (strict definition) of core musculature is almost never the explanation for chronic low back pain. Endurance, activation pattern, and movement strategy are, however.