MTN OPS Elk Shape Project

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Not much elevation. One hill is about 100 ft and the second one is about 200 ft. Then I lose elevation on the way back. It's a pretty easy walk.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I'll be doing the MTN OPS ELK SHAPE Project as well. I stay in pretty tip top shape all year do to my work and activities. I run and work out year round with a weighted Kifaru on my back. My weight doesn't fluctuate more than a few pounds all year and hasn't my entire adult life. For me the Elk Shape Program is my chance to build up my strength and stamina as high as I can before I leave home for the fall hunts.

The fall schedule for me is all about elk this year. I have only drawn two deer tags but I do have an AZ archery elk tag and a very good MT archery elk tag in my pocket! Add to that a WY GEN elk tag and my usual OTC CO elk hunt and I may be packing more elk out on my back this year than ever before! Did I mention I plan on getting an OTC Idaho archery elk tag this week...

P9021194.jpg

I will be on a long road trip from my home in Michigan for probably six weeks to fill all these tags. I need to make sure my body is in peak shape! In addition to my normal cardio and running I plan on using the MTN OPS Conquer Fitness Program. http://getmtnops.com/conquer-fitness-videos/

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
Alright here we go.. I'm starting this off at 5'8" and 174#. I have a 33" waist. My goal is to drop to 160# by 1 September. I'll settle for 165# if it feels better. To start off the week, I did a 2.5 mile trail run. It had rained all weekend including the day I went so the trail was pretty greasy. I started at 4,500 ft ASL and gained about 400 is all. Having spent the last month in Washington at 1,000 ft ASL, I could feel my lungs burning. I took 1 serving of enduro pre run but couldn't tell if it really worked or not. The next day was a pushup/situp circuit followed by a 5 mile run on the road. I took 1 serving of Yeti beforehand. I want to point out that my experience with supplements is limited however, past pre-workout mixes that I have tried made me feel really itchy. I get a strange tingling in my hands. I was happy to say that the Yeti did not make me feel like that which is great. In fact, I felt pretty good throughout the whole workout. Wednesday was supposed to be a short 3 mile trail run, but I got greedy and thought I would try a summit. I hiked/ran 6 miles with just about 3,000 ft of elevation gain. I'd like to point out that I ran the bottom of the basin, hiked the major part of the ascent, until it leveled off enough to run again. I ran down, nearly the whole way, only stopping for a few shale slides and some creek crossings. It was an excellent run and I plan on doing it again. I preceded the hike with Enduro and this time I felt like it made a difference. Thursday was a short 2 mile run on the road, trying to get my mile splits down. I have a PT test for the army coming up and I'm focusing on that run. After the PT test, I'm going to try some of these hikes/runs under load. Work capacity and cardio endurance has been and will be a goal throughout this month. Friday and Saturday were strength workouts because I was getting my cardio playing with my daughter. I fished all day Monday and slayed the Kokanee salmon. I've been using Ammo as a meal replacement shake for lunch, and I usually try eating mostly vegetables and chicken, turkey, or fish for dinner. All in all, the renu, phoenix, and blaze have been awesome. After 3 days using the supplements, I feel great. I don't get hungry throughout the day. I need to up my H2O intake. Next week, I will be in the field doing some training, however, I will have the availability to get into the gym. I will not be able to get up into the mountains, but I will be continuing with the cardio. I'll do a better job of posting pictures but I try not to workout around my phone as it ends up being a distraction most times due to work. Let me know what other information you'd like to see, and I'll try and accommodate.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
e8cd20de4e5e3ef2087ef0e971433099.jpg

Every morning starts the same for me. Ammo/Magnum mixed with local whole milk!
This chocolate & vanilla swirl is my main mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Forgot to throw out my starting numbers.
I am 5'11", 177 with a 34 waist.
I may time a few of my typical training trips this weekend to get a base point. There is only 11 weeks left!

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
Update: hand foot and mouth has managed to make its way through the house.. I'm going on day 3 of feeling like absolute crud. I managed to jump on the scale at the end of last week and was 170.5.. I'm still out in the field and we are just finishing our last range day. Haven't made it into a gym since Saturday but have been staying active out here in the field. AMMO makes a great replacement for an MRE in case anyone was wondering. Hopefully I can kick this virus and get back at it tomorrow.

COhuntin

FNG
c816edffe8ee2391da9aa630c3494a15.jpg

I guess good thing I wasn't chosen for this project. Hopefully the surgery heals before archery season! Crashed the mountain bike Saturday morning!

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
A quick update on my progress. I've been super busy the last week or so due to work, helping out at Train to Hunt, and moving. With my crazy schedule I haven't had time to do any hiking but I am definitely feeling better and have more energy. A typical day for me right now starts at 5:30 am and I don't get home from work until at least 12:30 am. I have felt very little fatigue even though I'm not sleeping much and constantly on the go.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
The weather is getting warm and I am feeling fantastic. Running after taking Yeti today and put in 5 solid miles. Rolling hills but nothing steep. No pack on my back.
Kept the heart thumping around 150 for a good duration.
ce6455804cb776ead7d78f474ba59aea.jpg

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This is great guys, motivating, 'specially when Tony said "only 11 weeks left!"

CoHuntin, gnarly break dude!!!! I'm no x-ray tech, is that your rib or your arm?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Good stuff Tony!

I've been moving and have been really busy so that's been cutting into my workout time quite a bit. I did get out yesterday though for a quick two mile run. I'm drinking a serving of yeti as I type and then heading over to hike Mt. Peak this morning. Even with limited workouts I'm noticing more sustained energy and overall I feel better the last month than before.

Last edited:

COhuntin

FNG
That is my collarbone. Had surgery last Thursday to put a plate on it. Definitely cutting into my training time. Doctors said it may really bother me when having a backpack on. That really sucks!!

Keep up the hard work to all training for the up coming season. Good luck!

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I've been staying more consistant this week. Cut almost 2 minutes off my Mt. Peak time so far. Went from 22:10 down to 20:19 for 1.2 miles and 1100 ft elevation. I still have a ways to go but going the right direction.

27fe7ad96fa01524cb89a8f938a8cca6.jpg

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Staying on course here with my cardio and pack training.
Don't forget that you are supporting the elk we love to chase by getting on board with the MTN OPS Elk Shape project!
Thanks RMEF!
72722e2eed24275ee396144a8f544fee.jpg

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
Things are finally back on track for me.. Back from a long time in the field. Took my family creek fishing on Sunday. Overall, I'm feeling good. I feel leaner and just generally have more energy. Monday I did an easy 4 mile run on the road. Tuesday was sprint work. Tomorrow I should be back up doing my 2 mile trail run.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Good point about the RMEF membership Tony! It's definitely a bonus to this package.

I'm still feeling great and making progress. This morning I made it to the top in 19:40 which is another 40 second gain, and I'm down almost 5 lbs.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good point about the RMEF membership Tony! It's definitely a bonus to this package.

I'm still feeling great and making progress. This morning I made it to the top in 19:40 which is another 40 second gain, and I'm down almost 5 lbs.

sweet!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That is my collarbone. Had surgery last Thursday to put a plate on it. Definitely cutting into my training time. Doctors said it may really bother me when having a backpack on. That really sucks!!

Keep up the hard work to all training for the up coming season. Good luck!

bummer, maybe commission Kifaru to build the ultimate man-purse fanny pack. Seriously, hope you heal up 110%.