Getting in shape. 85lbs down.

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone, figure I would post this up. Just a real talk, honest "grind it out" story with a real life change.
I have been working pretty hard for the past year on getting "less fat". I had gotten up to 406lbs (I'm 6'2"), and it wasn't any fun. It made hunting hard and life in general difficult. It got to the point where I would worry if I could make it back out of places I'd hiked into, or be able to get an animal out if I killed one.
I'd like to say is did some cool, easy, fun "system"... but I didn't. There's no "secret".
I started using MyFitness pal to keep track of what I put in my mouth, and started walking a mile a day. My first mile took me 45 minutes... I tried all kinds of eating plans before I found what worked for me. It just took time.
I joined a gym and actually did what the trainer told me to do. Especially after we talked hunting and he set me up with a routine to mimic hustling in the woods. In addition to that I started using Mtn. Ops Yeti as a preworkout and Enduro to help keep me going. My awesome wife started going to the gym also and watching her food, so she could support me (she is 5'4" and 160lbs, she didn't need to lose weight, but she wanted to become more muscle and less "fluffy" (her term).
Well, it's been a year, the wife is down 27lbs of fat and I'm down 87lbs of fat as of today.
A mile with a 40lb pack is 18 minutes now, and I can keep that pace for as long as I want.
I'm stronger, healthier and happier. Hunting is what it should be again, enjoyable. I'm not the wheezy guy in the back of the group anymore.
I also killed my first elk this year after 5 days of hard hunting on public land.
Life is good and constantly getting better.
Eat smart, work hard, stay with it and it happens. Im not where I want to be yet, but I'm getting closer.

In this pic in 2015 I can't button a 4xlt shirt. 2016 I'm in a 2xlt and down from a 46in pant to a loose 40.
5de93d1ceb33985cefbdacfdb1933f75.jpg

My cow elk from this year. Healthier, happier and not terrified of the pack out.
755c279a57020be1b93ea5011dea61ca.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
Hell yeah brother! Takes a real man to say enough is enough and take action. You should be proud as hell!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congratulations and keep up the good work. No shortcuts, sounds like you have figured out what works and implemented a long term lifestyle change that is sustainable for you.

4ester

WKR
Congrats to you. I lost 50lbs myself a year ago, and it was tough. But honestly it still can be tough just to maintain it. Keep Hammering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some serious work ethic and dedication !!!! Very nice

OkieElk

FNG
That's incredible bud! Know your story will inspire others, including me!
Keep up the hard work and know that what is instantly gratifying is never utimately satisfying. I need to preach this to myself in more ways than one!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

daddie63

WKR
Nice work that's a great accomplishment. Very cool of your wife to join you. Keep up the great work. Congrats on your cow.

First off, congrats to both you and your wife. I found myself in a simular situation about 5 years ago and made the decision to do something about it. My kids, then 11 and 6, where and are my life and I decided to try and be here as long as I can to help them along. You are 100% correct, there is no substition for hard work and eating right. I had to learn to eat all over again at 45 years old. Once I started loosing the weight it really came off and I have never felt better. I've maintained it this long and will continue to do so. Good to see you doing it as well, like Becca said it is a lifestyle change and a lifelong commitment.

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
Wow that's a great story!

Sounds like a grind but you stuck with it and the results showed up. Keep up the hard work!

Wow!!! Very inspiring story. I wish I had your motivation and drive. I really struggle making myself go to the gym. It's not something I enjoy. Something Randy Newburg said in one of his shows has really stuck with me. He said "hunt while you can, you'll run out health faster than you'll run out of money". I'm beginning to treat my health like my 401k, if I'm gonna get anything out of it later in life, I have to be willing to sacrifice something today. Anyways, great job and keep up the good work.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk