Weight routine for odd hours

Ok guys, I've got a question about workout routines. The elk hunting bug has bit, and bit bad. I've been buying gear and getting that stuff lined out. Now it's time, actually past time, to start working on me. If you had my work schedule, when would you workout?

Mon, Tues 8pm-8am
Wed, Thurs off
Fri, Sat, Sun 8am-8pm
Mon, Tues off
Wed, Thurs 8pm-8am
Fri, Sat, Sun off
Mon, Tues 8am-8pm
Wed, Thurs off
Fri, Sat, Sun 8pm-8am
Mon, Tues off
Wed, Thurs 8am-8pm

You get the idea. Twelve hour rotating shifts. Keep in mind I've got a 30 minute drive to and from work. I'm thinking about starting this workout routine, I just don't know how to adapt it to my schedule.

Basic Elk Hunting Workout Program | Elk101.com | Eat. Sleep. HUNT ELK!

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I would either hit the gym at 6:00-6:30am before you go to work or just do it on your days off. If I lift late at night I don't sleep and it screws me up for the next day.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Yep, if I lift hard after about 4pm it affects my sleep. You've got plenty of days off in there to get a good routine in that hits every muscle group twice a week. That's what I'd do.

WoodBow

WKR
Yea i would focus on getting good sessions in on your days off. The days you work, lift whenever you have time and feel good. What works for one does not always work for another. There is no way I am getting up and going to the gym before work. I have to get up too early as it is. And I do not function very well for the first couple of hours of being awake. But I have no problem killing it right before bed and then sleeping just fine.

You can always double up on your days off if you feel like you are not getting enough time in.

OP
maninthemaze
Ok thanks. I'm thinking that doubling up on my days off to start. Maybe lower body during the day and upper in the afternoon. I guess I'll just have to play it by ear on how my body feels. Thanks

SWOHTR

WKR
First, find a program that aligns to your goals. I use Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1, and it can easily be modified for a two-day program (for the time-strapped individual) or you can train on the recommended four days. Three day splits exist, too.

Second, plan your training sessions as religiously as you plan on having a meal. Making training sessions a habit will help you stick with your plan.

Third, plan out each individual training session. Know what exercises you will do: sets, rep range, and weights. This will ensure a maximally efficient time spent training.

Taking all of that into consideration, in any given week, it looks like you have 4-5 off days. I would recommend:

1. One to one and a half hours set aside on these days for training.
2. Going light at first, especially if you are just beginning. No sense in breaking yourself. (5/3/1 emphasizes this point greatly).
3. Remember, a training session need not be long to be effective.
4. Keep your expectations realistic and “do what is necessary.”
5. Lastly, do not fall for the myth of “all the cardio means I will be thin and in shape.” Eat right, take care of yourself, and pick heavy things up.

I was very skeptical when I started 5/3/1 four months ago but have been very happy with the results. In 45 minutes, I can be in and out of the weight room and accomplish more than most people do in two hours – more often than not, I hit a new PR of some sort – usually a rep PR (i.e. two weeks ago I deadlifted 285lb 11 times, this week it was 13 times). The remaining fifteen minutes, I will do conditioning of some sort (typically the rower). I lift four days per week and condition 3-5 days per week (after squatting, the last thing you’ll want to do is run, walk, row, pull or push something…).

I’ve had hectic schedules too. On my last tour, I would wake up at 3:30 to train from 4:00-5:00. It was necessary for me – at the end of a 12+ hour work day, the last thing I wanted to do was train.

Some of my favorite resources include EliteFTS, Jim Wendler’s website, and Mark Rippetoe’s “Starting Strength” website (and the books associated with each).

-Joe

OP
maninthemaze
Thank you very much. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into that. I will definitely look into incorporating the 5/3/1 program. It looks really similar to what my high school weights instructor had us doing. It's sad, but high school was the last time I was excited about lifting weights. This year's elk hunt has me pumped though. Thanks again for everyone's help. I think food will be the next hurdle. The when to eat, and what to eat when, will be challenging as well. You should hear the conversations I have with my doctor about when to take medicine. It kinda comical. Because the old standby of take it before you go to bed doesn't work. On my last midnight shift, I can't go to bed because I have to get my body turned around to dayshift in a very short amount of time. That means I'll be awake for around 28-30 hours before I can go to bed. Anyways, thanks again.

Grumman

WKR
No way around it 12 hour shift work just sucks for keeping a routine. When I worked it I worked out before each nightshift. And then on my second or third day off. One bad day or night of sleep would just wreck my routine though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
maninthemaze
How do you make it through the headaches of just starting? What I mean by that is, on the first set of any exercise, whether it's bench press, squats or curls, I get a pounding headache. Every time!! I have to stop and let my heart rate come back down and the headache subsides. It doesn't go away, just gets more bearable. I've been to my doctor without an answer. I've even been to the cardiologist for a stress test with no answer. They just said they didn't find anything wrong. So my question is this. Is it just because I haven't lifted weights or exercised in so long and these headaches will go away once I'm in better shape? It's very discouraging to want to exercise, start doing something, then have to stop so my heads quits pounding.

SWOHTR

WKR
I can't speak much to a headache. I know I get headaches from caffeine withdrawals, and I typically have a cup of coffee before and during my morning lifting sessions (it's better than the pre-workout crap that's out there as far as I'm concerned).

Are you hydrated enough?

Are you training on an empty stomach? If yes, try eating something light before - I sometimes eat a handful of berries 5-10 minutes beforehand, it helps to take the edge off of any stomach or head pains I might encounter. Training (esp. running) on an empty stomach is miserable.

-Joe

OP
maninthemaze
Yeah, I had a light breakfast before working out. And was drinking water even though I wasn't thirsty. I think I've figured out. I think I was holding my breath during the set. I forgot the basic parts of lifting weight. Breath

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
Im an early morning workout guy. Ill get into the gym 2ish hours before I need to be to work, 10 minute cardio warmup, then lift for 45-60 minutes at a fast pace to break a real good sweat and stay in that cardio zone. If Im not soaked at the end of a workout, Im doing it wrong. Either way, its the best way to start the day to me. I'll eat a bowl of oatmeal and 3-4 egg whites before work, protein shake between breakfast and lunch, snack (fruit/nuts) between lunch and dinner.

Jon Boy

WKR
When I worked nights I preferred to work out after I woke up and ate some breakfast, then I would work out, then eat a huge 'lunch' then get ready for work. Hope this helps!

Pushups/burpees
Incline/decline pushups
Dips
Pull/chin ups
Air squats/jumping squats
Air lunges/jumping
Calf raises
Plank

Modify reps and sets to your needs, add a weighted pack when needed. If you need high intensity do sets for time and throw in some jumping jacks and box jumps. You need minimal space and no equipment. If you don't take a ton of time between sets IE don't look at your phone, theres no reason you shouldn't get a solid work out in 30-40 minutes. You can fit 30 minutes into just about any of your days. Do a run/hike or three a week on days off

Logan T

WKR
When I worked nights I preferred to work out after I woke up and ate some breakfast, then I would work out, then eat a huge 'lunch' then get ready for work. Hope this helps!

Pushups/burpees
Incline/decline pushups
Dips
Pull/chin ups
Air squats/jumping squats
Air lunges/jumping
Calf raises
Plank

Modify reps and sets to your needs, add a weighted pack when needed. If you need high intensity do sets for time and throw in some jumping jacks and box jumps. You need minimal space and no equipment. If you don't take a ton of time between sets IE don't look at your phone, theres no reason you shouldn't get a solid work out in 30-40 minutes. You can fit 30 minutes into just about any of your days. Do a run/hike or three a week on days off

Do you even work out, bro?

I agree with Jon. My hours are all over the map, but you can still squeeze in a lot of core work with just a little time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
maninthemaze
I've started lifting weights. Mostly do squats, lunges, leg lifts in addition to bench press, curls and military presses. I've also recently purchased a fitbit to monitor my heart rate and steps. My work gives out $100 every 3 months for those that meet a step goal.

In addition to all of this, I've been hiking (once a week) with a 50 pound sand bag around a 2 1/2 mile loop that has the best elevation gain within 100 miles.

I just need to watch my heart rate. If it gets above 130-140 I get a massive headache. The doctors don't know why, and said just go ahead with the workouts.

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
I work this same schedule, but 5-5. On my 2 week days rotation, I get to the gym on my days off, and add cardio after about 50% of the time. Half of my gym days are spent lifting, focusing on the upper body, my other half are spent on legs. On days when I get off, and have time, I will try to do a 2ish mile run and during the summer I swim.

While on nights, working out is much easier for me, and I hit the gym or run most days before I go in. It seems to keep me in decent shape, but my diet is my pitfall to this point.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk