Too much red meat?

A friend who's also into fitness has been trying to tell me I eat too much red meat. I tell her to shut her dirty little mouth and I don't need that negativity lol.

But is there anything to this?
Every evening meal six days a week is usually wild game.

It's hard to add chicken after paying hundreds to eat such a great protein.

InIt2Live

Lil-Rokslider
I think there is a difference between too much red meat and too much store bought beef. Game meat is much more lean, which nullifies the "problems" associated with too much beef/red meat. Take a look at this chart and compare the macros of any of the game meat to the macOS of typical meats bought in stores.

15 Wild Game Meats Ranked By Calories, Protein, & Fat

Felix40

WKR
I think there is something to it but I feel like as long as I eat plenty of vegetables along with the meat I'll be fine. Check out the china study if you want more info about the effects of high meat diets. I'm not totally convinced but it makes you think.

Great Topic: I am certainly torn on this and the science will support different points of view. I am blessed that I have ZERO disease in my family. No cancer of any kind, no heart disease, etc.. And if you ask my family why this is.....they will tell you it is from eating mainly vegetables (My family were farmers) My mom tells me stories of my grandpa saying meat is too expensive. She has very little memories of eating meat. The meat they did eat was venison killed by my grandpa(whitetail) I do think their is something to eating as much vegetables and limiting meat.

On the other hand, I also believe wild game meat provides benefits far beyond the studies of raised cattle beef. I sure hope so, because I eat meat taken my bow year around and almost at everyday.

BTW, I just saw a story on Tom Brady and his wife diets. 80% Veggies/Fruits 10%-20% meat. They believe to be supple, injury free and live a healthy life, fruits and veggies are the way to go. Hard to argue with him given his level of play and how they both look at their age.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
One side of my family are/were ranchers. They originally started with 12 kids from that patriarch and matriarch......6 boys and 6 girls. They ate their own raised beef, chicken, and pork every single meal. They had a dairy so they drank whole milk and made their own butter and cream. They all lived into their 90's.

I personally have taken it upon myself in my lifetime to be an experiment into the effects of "bad" eating. I'm 51 now and so far so good. I eat meat every meal, including lots of bacon. I'm not a veggie guy at all, and fruit is hit and miss. I don't hold back on anything that I want to eat. I'm not much of a candy guy, but I love dessert. My cholesterol is in the 150-160 range. No other health issues except spine related from beating my body up over the years. I like red meat, I will continue with this diet and live my life as long as I can. If it kills me......so be it. I'm certainly not going to worry about it.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I think the whole red meat being bad fad is an idea from the 70's and 80's where it was believed cholesterol ingested was cholesterol attained. Medical and dietary science has definitely evolved.

BKhunter

WKR
Red meat from the grocery store is pumped full of hormones, antibiotics and the animals diet is not natural.......That is why "red meat" is bad for you. Wild game in my opinion will not cause these health concerns. There is something with the Omega 3's in wild game that I can't remember that is very beneficial too.

Red meat from the grocery store is pumped full of hormones, antibiotics and the animals diet is not natural.......That is why "red meat" is bad for you. Wild game in my opinion will not cause these health concerns. There is something with the Omega 3's in wild game that I can't remember that is very beneficial too.

Really, pumped full of antibiotics and hormones? Might want to do some fact checking on withdraw periods and then continue your research especially if you are going to bring up the buzz term "Omega 3s". These fatty acids are harbored in animal fat and by volume would be much more prolific in grain finished beef vs lean grass fed wild game. But if it's Omega 3s you are after, you might as well skip red meat all together and eat a Salomon filet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pro953

WKR
If you can find it in the produce department or meat department, go for it. Worry about all of the other space in the store.

5miles- glad you do not experience ill effects from your diet. Sadly not all of us are quite as genetically gifted.

I'm with 5 miles. Eat meat at least for 2 meals. 90 percent of time it's wild game though. We mostly buy organic when we can.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it's common sense to eat varied and nutritious foods- including meat; can you eat too much fatty meat (or even lean meat for that matter)?- certainly

eat lots of fresh fruits, veggies, whole grain, non-processed foods along with a reasonable amount of meat (preferably lean meats)

while I certainly think eating healthy is a key component to a healthy life, I think exercise is a much more important component for said healthy life

too many folks focus almost solely on what they eat and get little to no exercise, you'd be much better off if you did the opposite (and even better if you did both! :D)

Brendan

WKR
I would worry about sugar and any processed carbs, followed by too many grains before I'd worry about any red meats, especially wild game.

Wish I didn't like Beer, then I'd be golden...

Ta406

FNG
I would worry about sugar and any processed carbs, followed by too many grains before I'd worry about any red meats, especially wild game.

I completely agree. I have always been reasonably fit but my cholesterol was high. By drastically reducing my grain (especially wheat) and sugar consumption, my cholesterol has dropped 30+ points in the last year or so. And I eat a LOT of red meat, cheese, bacon, sausage, eggs ect. At least for me, high fat, high protein and low card diet was key. One thing I would caution for red meat eaters is to keep an eye on your blood iron levels. I donate blood from time to time and this is an excellent way to get rid of excessive iron since that is the only way men can get rid of it that I am aware of. High iron levels can lead to some nasty things like heart disease.

Ta406

FNG

I completely agree. I have always been reasonably fit but my cholesterol was high. By drastically reducing my grain (especially wheat) and sugar consumption, my cholesterol has dropped 30+ points in the last year or so. And I eat a LOT of red meat, cheese, bacon, sausage, eggs ect. At least for me, high fat, high protein and low card diet was key. One thing I would caution for red meat eaters is to keep an eye on your blood iron levels. I donate blood from time to time and this is an excellent way to get rid of excessive iron since that is the only way men can get rid of it that I am aware of. High iron levels can lead to some nasty things like heart disease.

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
eating too much game meat is like...
It's like too much money, theres no such thing
It's like a girl too pretty, with too much class
Being too lucky, a car too fast
No matter what they say I've done, well I ain't never eatin too much game meat

don't let that person into your life.

Gr8bawana

WKR
My grandmother who was a Yaqui Indian lived until she was 96. She smoked all her adult life, she cooked everything in bacon grease, drank fresh, unpasturized milk, ate red meat all the time. She had the typical mexican diet that was very high fat, high cholesterol, high salt content and no ill-effects. Also I must ad that she wasn't fat.
My mom is now 91 had the same type of diet. So if I can live that long eating the "wrong" stuff I'll be very happy.
I think we spend too much time worrying about what the so called "experts" are saying is bad for us. Their findings are always changing anyway.

Last edited:
What a way to go ! lol.. seriously I think it is genetic, my dad had bacon and eggs for breakfast everyday, salad was somehting fat women ate and he smoked a pipe, cigar and drank at least one "Hi-ball" every evening. He said if he could live through WWII the bacon wasn't going to get him, died at 80 from complications of alzheimers.

I used to work with a guy that was short and weighed 130 soaking wet but his blood pressure and cholesterol were off the charts, same with all the men in his family.

Really, pumped full of antibiotics and hormones? Might want to do some fact checking on withdraw periods and then continue your research especially if you are going to bring up the buzz term "Omega 3s". These fatty acids are harbored in animal fat and by volume would be much more prolific in grain finished beef vs lean grass fed wild game. But if it's Omega 3s you are after, you might as well skip red meat all together and eat a Salomon filet...

sorry man, this is totally wrong. Omega 6 (not beneficial) is higher in grain fed beef, Omega 3 (beneficial) is higher in all free range meat, be it fish or game.