Ketogenic meal plans - What do you do in the backcountry?

2hand

Lil-Rokslider
I've been on the keto diet for 1-1/2 years now. It's true that it takes a while for your body to start running efficiently on fat. You also need to break your addiction to glucose in the beginning, so there will be some withdraw. It's important to consciously eat a lot of fat. This is where most people go wrong. Since they want to loose weight, and they've been told their whole life that fat makes you fat, they usually end up not eating enough fat and being low on energy. There should be no lack of energy on a ketogenic diet. I don't believe the idea that short term energy comes from carbs. My son wrestled at a high level while on the diet with great success. I've also wrestled on it as well as ran up to 13 miles without loading up on carbs. In my opinion short term energy is mostly mental. As far as backcountry food, I bring the tuna that comes in bags, protein powder, nuts, almond butter, coconut oil, and coconut butter. I've found that I can almost substitute eating for coconut butter and protein powder. At least for a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you done any blood work? Thyroid tests etc?

I have before I started, then after about 8 months. I was deficient in something about my thyroid (I'm not a doctor) before I started, so I take Nature-throid now. Everything was good at 8 months. I plan on getting another one done in a couple of weeks so I can report on that at the time

2hand

Lil-Rokslider
I have before I started, then after about 8 months. I was deficient in something about my thyroid (I'm not a doctor) before I started, so I take Nature-throid now. Everything was good at 8 months. I plan on getting another one done in a couple of weeks so I can report on that at the time

Please do, the thyroid thing was something I've been looking into.

Please do, the thyroid thing was something I've been looking into.

Finally got my results back. I don't understand most of this, but my doc says everything is good.
1dba97eb17e894c0fc4c4c53872d0f5d.jpg

d156742e9b7bd32048609d1cd866fbc6.jpg

3fffe62aacb650697bc13398dac36d07.jpg

kbuechl

FNG
subscribed as well. I have this same problem. I love the Keto but I have always taken off hunting season out of convenience. I do think that dehydrated food would be much easier to deal with and quicker prep.

This is what I'm bringing to the Weminuche Wilderness next week for 6 days. 17,600 calories, 9lbs. I'm sure I can get it lighter with carbs, but I don't think it's a good idea to live and train on fat energy then switch to carbs last minute. Just being at high altitude will be enough shock to the system without changing the way my body gets energy.
eb15207d6d31aedcd4f2e700efd3d328.jpg

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is what I'm bringing to the Weminuche Wilderness next week for 6 days. 17,600 calories, 9lbs. I'm sure I can get it lighter with carbs, but I don't think it's a good idea to live and train on fat energy then switch to carbs last minute. Just being at high altitude will be enough shock to the system without changing the way my body gets energy.
eb15207d6d31aedcd4f2e700efd3d328.jpg

What's in the bag that says 1320?

KNPV PSD

Lil-Rokslider
This is what I'm bringing to the Weminuche Wilderness next week for 6 days. 17,600 calories, 9lbs.

Can you list what you are bringing? And maybe what your daily macros look like? From the picture it looks protein heavy, but I'm sure I'm not seeing something.

I could eat my weight in those Blue Mtn flavored Almonds. They seem to hit macros decent for a backcountry hunt, so that's what I will be taking on dayhunts this year.

Can you list what you are bringing? And maybe what your daily macros look like? From the picture it looks protein heavy, but I'm sure I'm not seeing something.

Item Cal Fat Carbs Prot

Coconut btr 1LB 3500 252 96 24
Coconut oil 14oz 3500 392 0 0
Almond btr 1LB 2660 224 98 98
Cashews 1LB 2700 195 135 105
Peanut btr 15oz 2500 216 108 90
Oysters 2 cans 360 20 16 28
Protein 12.5oz 1320 6 6 300
Tuna 20.8oz 630 7.5 28 113
Jerky 10oz 700 5 60 110
Coffee 1LB 0 0 0 0
Drink mixes 0 0 0 0

Total 1780 1320 547 868
Percent 50 20 30

This will be my 3rd trip with this type of diet. Up until now I've never took the time to figure this out. I'm glad you asked, because it's interesting. I'm not really as Keto as I thought.

2hand

Lil-Rokslider
If you're looking for the best option on nuts, Pili nuts really seem to have the best combo on paper. I bought some but have not tried them yet.

af7eb0cd1172a10f721dbf75c9130081.jpg

I agree, there are plenty of better options than cashews. I just like cashews the best.

fittohunt

FNG
It just seems a little counter-productive to try and go keto while on a backpacking hunt... I can see not wanting to spoil your diet, but even in ketosis using fats for fuel instead of carbohydrates is much less effiecent for energy. Unless your a very sedinatary hunter (which I doubt), I can't see you gaining any bodyfat while on your hunt. I know for me I typically loose between 1-2 lbs a day on my backcountry hunts, and that's with eating as much calorie dense food as I can possible pack in. I guess if the rationale is to not shock your body by changing food sources, I can buy that. However going keto year round, then switching to a balanced carb intake while hunting, then back to keto once your home. Should be optimal for performance.. Just my 2cents...

2hand

Lil-Rokslider
It just seems a little counter-productive to try and go keto while on a backpacking hunt... I can see not wanting to spoil your diet, but even in ketosis using fats for fuel instead of carbohydrates is much less effiecent for energy. Unless your a very sedinatary hunter (which I doubt), I can't see you gaining any bodyfat while on your hunt. I know for me I typically loose between 1-2 lbs a day on my backcountry hunts, and that's with eating as much calorie dense food as I can possible pack in. I guess if the rationale is to not shock your body by changing food sources, I can buy that. However going keto year round, then switching to a balanced carb intake while hunting, then back to keto once your home. Should be optimal for performance.. Just my 2cents...

Genuinely curious on your rationale for this? You make some fair points. I had assumed that this was someone who was already fat adapted and was looking to carry that method into the back country. If they are in fact going keto just for the hunt, yeah not the best idea.

Also, it would be good to clarify efficient. when you say carbs are more efficient, you mean carbs provide energy more rapidly. Fats on the other hand provide more energy. So looking at backpack hunting, intensity is what I'd say is on the moderate side. Walking pace, maybe intensity shifts going up hills, some sitting and glassing. It's rare that we are sprinting or going balls out. Completely agree that carbs out do fats on high intensity physical performance. The slow burn, constant output, that's where I'm not as convinced.

So to cover the caloric needs, you'd need almost twice as many carbs than fats. Just looking at calories/ounce, it would seem it's more efficient to carry less weight in food provided they are more calorically dense.